Close

Blog Entries

Default SOT: Session List Producer [SLP]

Good day,

Session List Producer - SLP for short, is a program for creating "session listings" - comprised of Session .edl data files.
    * [SLP Image]

Conception
    Due to way in which I work with SAC and SAW, I required a means of being able to access all of the various Session .edls in order to develop Shows for use in SAW.

Various "design concepts" were considered - all without success. Then, the idea of "audio playlists" came to mind and with that, the project could finally move forward.

AutoIt!
    AuotoIt! is a "Visual Basic-like" scripting language that permits the development of "Windows-like" programs. Building upon a script entitled, "Playlist Maker" designed by ragnarok775, I was able to re-work that script to meet my own particular needs and requirements.
    * The latter developments - to whom I owe immense gratitude, is to Andreik for his assistance in the completion of the final product. Without his expertise, this project would never have come to fruition!

What SLP Does
    As can be observed in the attached image, various buttons invoke various functionalities, which include the following:

Add: Add a Session .edl to the list
    Remove: Remove a Session .edl from the list
    Copy; Copy the listing to a pre-determined directory
    Clear: Remove all of the listings
    Save: Save the current listing to an .ini file
    Open: Open a previously saved .ini listing
    Exit: Exit the script
    About: Some information about the script

Some "interesting" discoveries
    The conceptualization of SLP came as a direct result of the "Non-Linear Editing" capabilities of SAWStudio. In short, as a direct result of the original wave file data NOT being altered, I was able to store such data in a specific location for later recall. This also meant that restoring a completed Session really only required the Session .edl - and not the previously stored wave file data itself. This design concept of Bob's greatly simplified the restoration of such Session data. This design concept also required me to re-think how I was to actually "work" with such data.

Along with the wave file data, is an associated data file called ".wpd" - which stores specific information with regards to the wave file. As this ".wpd" data is stored in the same location as wave file data itself - this greatly simplified the restoration process.

Copy and Save
    Both of these options are an incredible time-saver - both directly attributable to the "playlist functionality" of SLP. Being able to copy the entire Session .edl listing to a per-determined directory permits not only the subsequent launching of such Session data, but also greatly simplifies the development of Show Control listings.

The ability to save a Session .edl list for later recall is also a very hand feature.

Summary
    SLP, along with the versatility of SAC and SAW, will greatly simplify the overall "work flow" functionality of the RML Labs software - at least for me anyhow!

This being said, I do believe that this software could also have benefits for others as well.

In closing...
    As always, I do sincerely hope that the above information may be of some practicable use to others.

PS: If anyone is interested in "testing out" SLP, please let me know. Email is in the sig...
    Last edited by mr_es335; 10-30-2023 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Typos

Blog Entries

Default Re: SOT: Session List Producer [SLP]

Good day,

Just a quick note to let you folks know that the documentation for "Session List Producer" is now complete!

During the writing of the text, such also provided me with the opportunity of "testing and fine-tuning" the application to ensure that "all is working as it should". I must say, that I am very pleased with the results!

As with any practical software development, though SLP, in its present iteration is "working-as-it-should", further enhancements, I am certain, will be forthcoming.

"Teta Bester"
    As with personal involvement in any endeavour, oftentimes you are so close to a "thing" that that "thing" can no longer be "adequately critiqued". Therefore, I do require the services of a "beta tester" to ensure that the SLP application is indeed, "all working-as-it-should". Interested parties may email me for further information.

Thank you for your time!

Blog Entries

Default Re: SOT: Session List Producer [SLP]

Good day,

I have completed two texts for SLP, namely,

1) Documentation: A User Manual of sorts
    2) Requirements and Installation

Both of these texts are available in a single ZIP file [here]

I am hoping that the provided texts will generate some interest in SLP...in particular, someone whom will ensure that SLP is "working-as-it-should" - that is, a "beta tester"...[...See...I really do know how to spell!]

Interested parties may email me for further information.

Thank you for your time...
    Last edited by mr_es335; 11-12-2023 at 08:51 AM.