Close

Default MIDI controlldata CC 63 to MWS ?

Hi Folks!
    I am trying to automate MIDI CC 63 in MWS, CC 63 is DECAY on my VIRUS external synth.
    When activating Display and then right click on Filter in MWS there is no cc 63 available.
    If it would be there then I could draw it with the mouse.
    Instead of my midi keyboard as input to the track 1 I changed it to KENTON midi controller, controller cc 63 and then turned the knob but
    nothing happens,the MIDI OUT led is flashing but nothing comes into MWS.
    I also tried having VIRUS as track input and then turning the button on VIRUS but no data comes in to MWS.
    How do I get CC 63 data in to MWS ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: MIDI controlldata CC 63 to MWS ?

Göran,

Maybe not a direct answer to your question...but have a look-see...[Link]

Also, I am not too sure if this info will assist you or not, but I soon discovered that I need to know what "base" I am employing...either "numerical" or "hex".

Numerical = 0 to 128
    Hex = 0 to 127

Every MIDI device is different...and the documentation should make that clear. Thus, the use of MIDI Monitor...
    Last edited by mr_es335; 11-13-2023 at 08:19 AM.

Select a Port and Chan value on a track. Turn on the Display option... then turn on the Filter option. Now right-click on the Filter and set it to ctrl-63. Now right-click the Display button and select the Current Controller Type Pencil Drawing option. Now you can place the cursor in the track and left-click to create a fixed ctrl-63 value or left-drag the mouse to draw continuous ctrl-63 values based on the cursor position within the track boundaries.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Select a Port and Chan value on a track. Turn on the Display option... then turn on the Filter option. Now right-click on the Filter and set it to ctrl-63. Now right-click the Display button and select the Current Controller Type Pencil Drawing option. Now you can place the cursor in the track and left-click to create a fixed ctrl-63 value or left-drag the mouse to draw continuous ctrl-63 values based on the cursor position within the track boundaries.

Bob L
    Thanks for the input!
    Ha, ha ..EASY, it is working. I missunderstood the filterdisplay alternatives. I thought that "ctrl-63:Controller 31 LSB" is something else, 31 LSB got me confused because I do not know what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Göran,

Maybe not a direct answer to your question...but have a look-see...[Link]

Also, I am not too sure if this info will assist you or not, but I soon discovered that I need to know what "base" I am employing...either "numerical" or "hex".

Numerical = 0 to 128
    Hex = 0 to 127

Every MIDI device is different...and the documentation should make that clear. Thus, the use of MIDI Monitor...
    Thanks for the input!
    I got it working, but that tool might still be good to have in other contexts.

Quote Originally Posted by Göran Nordberg View Post
    Thanks for the input!
    31 LSB got me confused because I do not know what that means.
    Least Significant Bit; essentially the ones column is base 10
    Most Significant Bit; is essentially the tens column is base 10

in this case 2 CC#s are used to create values larger than 128 steps of resolution
    look up MSB/ LSB on the line to fill yer knowledge gaps :-)

I find the easiest way to understand MSB/LSB (or MSD/LSD) is time format
    think of MSB as the hours column and LSB as the minutes column
    we use 2 CC# for this variable data
    CC30 could MSB and CC31 could be LSB...the CC#s don't have to be those CC numbers, tho

you could have CC58 as your LSB and CC113 as you MSB...that might be very confusing...but it should work :-)

We can have variables well beyond this...Lexicon proprietary LSB first variable SysEx for PCM8x machines has four columns of variable possibilities which has values in the millions
    MIDI Implementation being proprietary per device, there is a lot to study up on to yield functioning results
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    Least Significant Bit; essentially the ones column is base 10
    Most Significant Bit; is essentially the tens column is base 10

in this case 2 CC#s are used to create values larger than 128 steps of resolution
    look up MSB/ LSB on the line to fill yer knowledge gaps :-)

I find the easiest way to understand MSB/LSB (or MSD/LSD) is time format
    think of MSB as the hours column and LSB as the minutes column
    we use 2 CC# for this variable data
    CC30 could MSB and CC31 could be LSB...the CC#s don't have to be those CC numbers, tho

you could have CC58 as your LSB and CC113 as you MSB...that might be very confusing...but it should work :-)

We can have variables well beyond this...Lexicon proprietary LSB first variable SysEx for PCM8x machines has four columns of variable possibilities which has values in the millions
    MIDI Implementation being proprietary per device, there is a lot to study up on to yield functioning results
    Very respectful knowledge of MIDI.
    To me it's kind of rocket science.
    Funny how people get to know things so deeply and thoroughly.
    Experts are always welcome, even if I don't even understand half of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Göran Nordberg View Post
    Very respectful knowledge of MIDI.
    To me it's kind of rocket science.
    Funny how people get to know things so deeply and thoroughly.
    Experts are always welcome, even if I don't even understand half of it.

hey, in 2019, I barely understood General MIDI
    then I put my learning hat on and slowly learned how to remote control my Fender CyberTwins with an Evolution UC-33...
    that lead me to SysEx...because SysEx can allow a remote control to be built that rids the user of menu diving on the devices' front panels
    and user can tweak device parameters in optimum listening position

then I got into Lexicon PCM80 and 81...where the SysEx so massively increases parameter resolution from very low 128 steps of single CC 7-bit MIDI to 10s of thousands of steps of resolution
    like a 800x600 computer screen resolution dark ages compared to 4K res (actually, beyond that)
    Just try 7 bit single CC MIDI res on your synth pitch wheel...don't sound very good does it? Hence why synth pitch wheels use 2 CC 14bit MIDi which has over 13,000 steps of res
    ahhhh, now we get smooth pitch bends :-)
    yeah, you don't hafta know hows it workses...but the knowledge is helpful...RPN and NRPN ;-P

I've been working on a remote control for PCM8x...but it's too much data for ipad in my current "design"...
    I need some coding skills to help me make that remote...and or create a remote front panel remote control;
    rather than try to create something which talks directly to the chips

if telling time is rocket science, we're geniuses

the core of SysEx is easy, you just have to be willing to entertain an integer format other than Base 10
    Last edited by Todd R; 11-15-2023 at 04:10 AM.