Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Problem with the Shade in the preferences files.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro V View Post
    But in the manual it says yes, according to my level of English, intelligence, and Google Translate.

From the Sawtudio manual:

SAWStudio will also accept a .prf filename on the command line when starting up. In this manner, multiple preference files (including different shades) can be maintained and loaded automatically. You do not need path information for the .prf file, only the filename.
    I didn't dig into this to confirm, but this quote appears to be in reference to using multiple instances of SAW, where one might want to distinguish which instance is on screen at a glance. At least, I can see where this could be the case, as long as the chosen shade was saved as a default preference in each instance.

I've never bothered, but I HAVE used multiple instances of SAW when checking/comparing mixes before and I could see this being a benefit.

But I( see that Bob is also looking into why shades aren't being saved in preference files now, so maybe it's a mute point soon.

Blog Entries

Pedro,

Yes, but I do believe that the .prf files you are referring to are different than the ones you can save via File, Preferences File, select: Save Default.

When updating the default Preferences, this data is stored in the SAWStudio64.prf/SAWStudio.prf data file.

Now if I rename that .prf data file and and then recall that data file - all is OK! in paradise!

Again, there is apparently some difference between the File,
    Preferences File, Open|Save and File, Preferences File, select: Save Default.

Interestingly, all the info you DO require IS IN the Manual.

Hope this helps?

One has to save the .prf file with the chosen shade in SawStudio.

Then set default file preference.

Close SawStudio.

In the shortcut properties, set the path with the name of the .prf as indicated in the manual. The same for each shortcut you want with different preferences.

I have SS v5.1 and the demos of recent versions. I see that the latest version does not allow saving a preference file.

Sorry for my English.

Blog Entries

Pedro,

Demos do not permit the saving of such data,

It doesn't say so in the limitations of the demo version. I do not see it.

Blog Entries

Pedro,

Please peruse the Demo Limitations text again:

You are free to save and recall all session and template file types to help you experience the power and versatility the program brings to the art of virtual audio editing and mixing.
    Such session and template file types would refer to .edl and .mxt file types only...not .prf file types! The keyword here is "recall", of which apparently, the Demo version does not permit.
    The Demo version DOES however, permit you to save "Default" settings.
    • Anything other than such "Default" settings would be construed as - at least in my book, as "Custom" settings.

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I didn't dig into this to confirm, but this quote appears to be in reference to using multiple instances of SAW, where one might want to distinguish which instance is on screen at a glance. At least, I can see where this could be the case, as long as the chosen shade was saved as a default preference in each instance.
    No this is reference to being able to launch SAW with a specific shade. SAW is NOT designed to have multiple instances loaded at once. The fact that you can easily and actually inadvertently launch multiple instances of windows programs is actually a flaw in windows OS.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 11-22-2023 at 11:52 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    No this is reference to being able to launch SAW with a specific shade. SAW is NOT designed to have multiple instances loaded at once. The fact that you can easily and actually inadvertently launch multiple instances of windows programs is actually a flaw in windows OS.
    It may be a Windows flaw, but I actually got the idea to try opening more than one instance after reading a forum discussion in which Bob had either suggested it, or thought it was useful (for that particular discussion, some years ago). So I use it now and then and appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    I am always happy to complain about windows, but this wouldn't be the time. Concurrency and recursion have been a part of computing nearly (or) since it's inception. Once you have multi-user environments and multiple processors it is even more-so. That said, there are some programs you may only want running once and you might put a locking mechanism in your code to enforce this.

In the case of saw(s) it is more a resource issue when only one device can be in charge of a sound device at a time. When you stop saw (I'm going to speculate and say when your not in 'live' mode), the sound card streams stop and you can hit play in another instance provided various settings like sample rate are the same. It's possible (don't know) that the device settings get initialized when you open an edl (or adjust the settings) rather than every time you hit play. With my Presonus mixer, I would expect having one session in 44.1 & a second in 48, would crash the mixer audio stream which would need to be rebooted - but the same settings, no problem - but attempting to play both at the same time would not work*.

*I suppose it is possible that some drivers may have the ability to mix multiple streams on the fly, I'm sure it is not a standard feature or in most cases, even desirable.

You can run multiple instances of both SAWStudio and SAC... but you must be careful that you only have one instance accessing the same soundcard channels... you may divy up one multichannel soundcard amongst different instances.

Bob L