Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default SOT: Launcing Multiple Instances of SAW|SAC

Good Day,

In order to keep a previous posting "from going too far south", I thought that, due to the significance of this "issue" that such deserved "a thread if it's own!"

So, the two immediate questions are,

Q1: "Can you launch multiple instances of SAW|SAC at the same time!"

Q2: "Can you launch and deploy multiple instances of SAW|SAC at the same time!"

Q3: "Should you launch [and deploy] multiple instances of SAW|SAC at the same time!"

It would be "preferable" if we could keep the responses in the same order as noted above.

• Please note in your response what Q# you are answering....thus, R1, R and R3.
    • If you skip Q1, then simply note that you are responding to R2...R3...and so on.
    • It would also be preferable to not quote this entire posting...just copy-'n-paste the Q's...as in the response below.
    • I hope this makes sense?

IMPORTANT UPDATE!
    What I would be hopeful of in this posting is "real-world scenarios" - wherein, such usage has been actually deployed in a live/commercial/money-making environment!

Last edited by mr_es335; 11-22-2023 at 05:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: SOT: Launcing Multiple Instances of SAW|SAC

Goody Day,

In response to the above:

R1: "Yes"
    * I have done so many timer.

R2: "Yes"
    * I have done so many timer.

Q3: "Should you launch [and deploy] multiple instances of SAW|SAC at the same time!"
    R3: No...you really should not!
    * This scenario would be particularly true in a "commercial"
    environment.
    * If I understand "things" correctly, Windows is referred to a "pre-emptive multitasking environment".
    * Preempt: "To replace with something considered to be of greater value or priority - take precedence over"

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post

R3: No...you really should not!
    * This scenario would be particularly true in a "commercial"
    environment.
    * If I understand "things" correctly, Windows is referred to a "pre-emptive multitasking environment".
    * Preempt: "To replace with something considered to be of greater value or priority - take precedence over"
    Depending on if they all assign out on their own cores (and you may be able to enforce different cores - which may or may not be a good thing), you might be able to run 2 (or more) nearly full load (as individual projects) simultaneously (also of note is, on some cpus, not all cores are equal). Could be like a giant effects rack.

Actually, demanding synth plugins (something else I don't use - and probably better ways of doing this) might be a possible practical use of this...
    Last edited by jmh; 11-22-2023 at 03:56 PM.

Yes, because windows doesn't prevent you from doing so. As a side note, MAC OS which is UNIX under the covers will not let you launch more than one instance of an application unless you explicitly command line the additional instances. Windows will also let me inadvertently launch multiple copies of quickbooks which always creates a mess while it tries to figure out how to open my books.

you can't really deploy multiple instances of SAW and SAC. There is no way to tell SAW which instance of SAC to connect to. Unless i've missed something in the software, you simple activate SAC Link.

No. What functional point would it serve. They are not connected to each other. Two instances of SAW Studio doesn't add more channels and you can't feed one instance with audio from the other without doing crazy ASIO manipulation. This is also true of SAC. Running a second instance of SAC will not increase channel count, the two instances have no way to communicate with each other.

If you want to offload VST processing there are specific software/hardware solutions to make that happen. Running multiple instances of SAW or SAC is not the way to do this.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 11-22-2023 at 05:25 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    What functional point would it serve.
    One of the things I've noticed is many of us use saw in ways I wouldn't consider. I believe I'm a standard user - just recording & mixing. But someone else may have ideas that can be realized with this type of setup.

The only thing I use saw64 for is several albums of reference tracks. While mixing, I can stop '32, play a bit of whatever in '64 at the same level. Pretty basic use - but it works (although in a way I wouldn't mind having an $89 CD player from 30 years ago. They just don't make them like they used to).

If you want to offload VST processing there are specific software/hardware solutions to make that happen. Running multiple instances of SAW or SAC is not the way to do this.
    Was just a for instance. By the time I typed that I realized that wasn't the best example...

Blog Entries

Good day,

So..what of this? [Click_Me]

The multi-instance SawStudio question was resolved as was logical.

I don't know why I should say no to SAC.

Bob would know.

I understand, with SAC there is greater liability and risk due to its application, but there are many drivers, settings and hardware to consider. RME works very well. The user is also supposed to work properly. Hahaha.

So if things are positive with SAW, why not with SAC? There are one, two, three, four, five, and more instances of the same and different software poorly programmed with high-level programming languages, poorly configured operating systems that work differently and in the same way on the same PC. They do it every day on billions of bad computers.

Yes, the thing here is real-time audio from a PC at a big concert. That's in the past thanks to Bob.

If something is wrong it would be a matter of optimization in both the operating system and the software and drivers.

Bob can even, if he wants, further enhance his software. I feel the situation open, positively pointed towards any use.

Thank you.

Sorry for my English.
    Last edited by Pedro V; 11-23-2023 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro V View Post
    The multi-instance SawStudio question was resolved as was logical.

I don't know why I should say no to SAC.

Bob would know.

I understand, with SAC there is greater liability and risk due to its application, but there are many drivers, settings and hardware to consider. RME works very well. The user is also supposed to work properly. Hahaha.

So if things are positive with SAW, why not with SAC? There are one, two, three, four, five, and more instances of the same and different software poorly programmed with high-level programming languages, poorly configured operating systems that work differently and in the same way on the same PC. They do it every day on billions of bad computers.

Yes, the thing here is real-time audio from a PC at a big concert. That's in the past thanks to Bob.

If something is wrong it would be a matter of optimization in both the operating system and the software and drivers.

Bob can even, if he wants, further enhance his software. I feel the situation open, positively pointed towards any use.

Thank you.

Sorry for my English.
    What would be the point of running multiple instances of SAC on the same physical machine? What problem does that solve that running two SAC systems doesn't.

Again, SAC doesn't support any sort of virtual connection between the two instances so how is that helpful particularly in a large channel count configuration where your already going to be pushing the system to its limits.
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Good day,

So..what of this? [Click_Me]
    Just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea. Can you load up two instances of SAW studio yes, will it work in some limited configurations, also yes. But once again for what purpose?
    Philip G.