Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: SOT: Launcing Multiple Instances of SAW|SAC

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    No the point is two instances of SAW DON'T talk to each other anymore than SAW and Reaper or SAW and Pro Tools or SAW and any other DAW.
    Not without some preparation, no. But when you said, "As for SMPTE/MTC sync between two instances... I imagine it's possible, but you would have to have two SMTPE Interfaces (either real or virtual)," it sure sounded like they might be able to talk to each other.

SMPTE/MTC has always been the way that SAW and different DAWs could talk to each other. I know it's not ideal, but seems like it would, indeed, work. Why wouldn't it?

Hey, I thought of another application for dualling SAW instances: "polyphonic" EDL playback. Say I have two (or more) different sessions that I need to trigger in real time with the second having to start before the first is finished. Like a big, complicated sampler--only this one allows me to tweak individual component sounds in almost-real-time, not having to re-render a new file each time. Think of the possibilities!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Not without some preparation, no. But when you said, "As for SMPTE/MTC sync between two instances... I imagine it's possible, but you would have to have two SMTPE Interfaces (either real or virtual)," it sure sounded like they might be able to talk to each other.

SMPTE/MTC has always been the way that SAW and different DAWs could talk to each other. I know it's not ideal, but seems like it would, indeed, work. Why wouldn't it?

Hey, I thought of another application for dualling SAW instances: "polyphonic" EDL playback. Say I have two (or more) different sessions that I need to trigger in real time with the second having to start before the first is finished. Like a big, complicated sampler--only this one allows me to tweak individual component sounds in almost-real-time, not having to re-render a new file each time. Think of the possibilities!
    yes, awesome, but there is nothing about using two instances of saw on the same machine required. you can do this with two computer systems and not have to deal with making sure that one copy of saw and its associated interface cards and plug-ins doesnt steps all over the second copy of saw and its associated interface cards and plug-ins.

its the process of running the two copies of all the component pieces on the same machine that makes that a bad idea.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 11-30-2023 at 11:48 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    yes, awesome
    Sarcasm?

but there is nothing about using two instances of saw on the same machine required. you can do this with two computer systems and not have to deal with making sure that one copy of saw and its associated interface cards and plug-ins doesnt steps all over the second copy of saw and its associated interface cards and plug-ins.

its the process of running the two copies of all the component pieces on the same machine that makes that a bad idea.
    And all that approach takes is... a second computer.

Of course you're right about the practicality. I wasn't coming at it from that angle. Clearly, I'm trying to justify my mobo purchase.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts