Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is anybody using a Presonus seris iii as a midi controller?

I see that my mixer (32sx) emulates some functions of HUI & a Mackie midi controller. It looks like the most functionality is in studio's 'mackie' controller. Is anyone using this setup?

Default Re: Is anybody using a Presonus seris iii as a midi controller?

I see there is a
    MidiCtrl_Mackie_Control
    and MidiCtrl_Mackie_Control_Extender
    mct file. Does anyone know the difference?

It looks like I'll need to do some exploration to see how these parameters map to the surface which is likely have a subset of buttons that overlap with mackie buttons. The faders work, but as to most other buttons, for now it is a mystery...

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    It looks like I'll need to do some exploration to see how these parameters map to the surface which is likely have a subset of buttons that overlap with mackie buttons. The faders work, but as to most other buttons, for now it is a mystery...
    I know zero about the Mackie control interface. But, if you want to figure out what midi message is sent by the controls, you could crank up Midi Yoke and point it at the controller. When you press controls, Midi Yoke will capture and display the associated event(s). It's been a few years since I have used it, but I note that it's still out there and that there is a Win10 64 version of it, as well as the old 32. Super helpful utility.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    I know zero about the Mackie control interface. But, if you want to figure out what midi message is sent by the controls, you could crank up Midi Yoke and point it at the controller. When you press controls, Midi Yoke will capture and display the associated event(s). It's been a few years since I have used it, but I note that it's still out there and that there is a Win10 64 version of it, as well as the old 32. Super helpful utility.
    Or MIDI-OX
    I thought MIDI-Yoke was a behind the scenes computer based patching tool to connect MIDI messaging between applications...

MIDI-OX does it all, with a listener as well...SysEx manipulation, etc...a big toolbox :-D
    from the MIDI-OX site:
    "MIDI-OX: Windows MIDI Monitor and Sysx Tool
    MIDI Yoke: MIDI Patch Cable routing driver"

you can read about it here:
    http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http....com/myoke.htm

I've used MIDI-OX a lot these past 5 or so years
    Last edited by Todd R; 11-27-2023 at 07:43 AM.
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

OH! You're right Todd. My mistake. Like I said - it's been a few years.

Aaaand... it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2010 - which would seem to preclude it from working with W10-64. Can anyone confirm that?

Back then, I used it to figure out how to 'wire' VSTi's when I first started using them. Saved me from having to virtually fumble around in the dark when I wasn't getting sound and didn't know where the signal was failing. But that was using WXP-32.

I did a quick Google search and came up with a potential alternative: 'Midiview'. It seems to have the portion of Midi-Ox's functionality that you would need. Watch the video.

https://hautetechnique.com/midi/midiview/

I haven't tried it, but its installer indicates that it would stick it in the 64 bit area on my drive.

Actually, I'm realizing now that I don't remember whether you are using 64 bit Windows or not. Midi-Ox might still work on 32 bit.

Anyway: options.

Thanks for the link. It sounds like wireshark for midi. I'm on win64 so that's not an issue. I already identified a few features through experimenting. The faders work nicely. Some things like the aux send level you have to twist the encoder endlessly I'll have to dig into the. One think I have encountered is that I have the mixer off to the side (it is set up so it's most complicated usage was aimed for sending monitor mixes for tracking), so if you get comfortable in front of it, you are no longer between the monitors. I'll have to think if the collection of buttons on this lends itself to running saw - before making a commitment to juggling around my setup - it might be more practical to keep the pc as the center of things and just use an alphatrack (I actually have one of these - that for whatever reason, didn't get much use).

Won't 32-bit MidiOx run on 64-bit Windows 10 or 11? Like other 32-bit programs do?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Sidebar: I hooked up an Avid Dock last week using SAWStudio's Mackie_Control template and got some basic functionality. All I really needed to do was ride gain. I suppose I should poke around some more and see what else it does besides fader and pan.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Won't 32-bit MidiOx run on 64-bit Windows 10 or 11? Like other 32-bit programs do?

I've presumed that it wouldn't, Dave. And I've read that it wouldn't along the way recently. But, just to be sure, I installed it on my gaming machine just now. It definitely installs - and the program executes. You just can't use the Windows installer. They talk about it briefly here:

http://www.midiox.com/?http://www.midiox.com/moxdown.htm

I'll be darned.