Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .ini

Default .ini

I may be old and dumb...but for 20 years I've been trying to get Saw to follow an .ini file. Always get "trouble loading plugin" Here's an example of what I have...someone much smarter than me can tell me what is missing.

In notepad I save a file called Trilian.ini

then the path
    D:\SAWVST\Trilian.dll

Yes, I hit return after the last line.
    Thank you
    Saw64, SAC64 DP, Live, Cubase, Logic Pro and LUNA
    http://www.jillandrich.net

Default Re: .ini

Maybe you purposely don't use SAW's default path for vst's?
    But the default for mine, which is also on the D drive reads - D:\SAWStudio\VST_PlugIns

Maybe a good way to figure out how the ini should be written would be to open an existing one (if you have any that work) and follow the example there. To open the ini file, change the file extension from .ini to .txt and open it in Notepad. Don't forget to rename the extension to .txt after you're done with it.

Or is it possible that you haven't changed the file extension on your own creation to .ini? Maybe simply calling the file "Trilian.ini", but leaving the actual saved file extension as .txt - as in Trilian.ini.txt?

Have you set file explorer to show file extensions in the Folder Options/View tab?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Maybe you purposely don't use SAW's default path for vst's?
    But the default for mine, which is also on the D drive reads - D:\SAWStudio\VST_PlugIns

Maybe a good way to figure out how the ini should be written would be to open an existing one (if you have any that work) and follow the example there. To open the ini file, change the file extension from .ini to .txt and open it in Notepad. Don't forget to rename the extension to .txt after you're done with it.

Or is it possible that you haven't changed the file extension on your own creation to .ini? Maybe simply calling the file "Trilian.ini", but leaving the actual saved file extension as .txt - as in Trilian.ini.txt?

Have you set file explorer to show file extensions in the Folder Options/View tab?
    I used to just install the VST's directly into SAW's VST folder, but after updating Trilian, loading it, it would bring SAW to a crawl. I ended up installing Windows LTSC with help from the famous mr_es335 and re-installing everything is when I figured out it was Trilian inside of Saw that was the problem. That's why I'm trying the .ini trick....and, it worked on my steven slate drums, ONE TIME....then the next time it did not....

I also tried VEP, which was working great, until it was time to create a mix....even raising the bufffer to 1024 to mix, the tracks came out all garbled and distorted. (that's a whole other post)

So....I will change the name of the folder where my plugins are now to Vst_plugins...may the all caps in SAWVST is a problem.

I wish the dude that made that little .ini program would have updated it to work today!! Also, I'm not showing extensions right now, I will change that, too.
    THANKS!!

Blog Entries

Rich,

From what I have been gleaning of over the years, is that the actual location of the plug-in folder is "moot" - not important...but the location of the actual .ini file IS.

This .ini file must be located within the \VST_PlugIns folder for all to work as expected!

Think about this for a moment, "Where does SAC/SAW does SAC/SAW expect this .ini file to be located?"

From page 138 in the SAW User Manual, 10.1.1, "Effects View Overview", paragraph three, "For VST plug-ins to show up correctly inside of SAWStudio, they must be directly inside of the VST_PlugIns folder. If a VST plug-in does not show up in the SAWStudio FX Choices list, check the VST_PlugIns folder to see if a subfolder was created and simply move the applicable plug-in .dll file(s) into the VST_PlugIns folder directly."

And from paragraph four, "SAWStudio will allow VST Plugins to reside in any folder on any drive by placing an .ini file substitute in the VST_Plugins folder pointing to the full path of the dll file itself."

The point is this, "Why not keep all of the .dll's inside this folder to begin with....unless yopu are employing Wave's plug-ins?"

• I create a "named" folders within the VST_PlugIns folder - 1) AmpSim, EQ Reverb...and so on, place the relevant .dll's within those folders and then create .ini file that point to those folders. Simple, sweet, and shall I say "organized".

Lastly, perus page 18, 2.3.5....some "revealing stuff" in that section...

"When you have eliminated the impossible, what is left, no matter how unlikely, is the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Rich,

From what I have been gleaning of over the years, is that the actual location of the plug-in folder is "moot" - not important...but the location of the actual .ini file IS.

This .ini file must be located within the \VST_PlugIns folder for all to work as expected!

Think about this for a moment, "Where does SAC/SAW does SAC/SAW expect this .ini file to be located?"

From page 138 in the SAW User Manual, 10.1.1, "Effects View Overview", paragraph three, "For VST plug-ins to show up correctly inside of SAWStudio, they must be directly inside of the VST_PlugIns folder. If a VST plug-in does not show up in the SAWStudio FX Choices list, check the VST_PlugIns folder to see if a subfolder was created and simply move the applicable plug-in .dll file(s) into the VST_PlugIns folder directly."

And from paragraph four, "SAWStudio will allow VST Plugins to reside in any folder on any drive by placing an .ini file substitute in the VST_Plugins folder pointing to the full path of the dll file itself."

The point is this, "Why not keep all of the .dll's inside this folder to begin with....unless yopu are employing Wave's plug-ins?"

• I create a "named" folders within the VST_PlugIns folder - 1) AmpSim, EQ Reverb...and so on, place the relevant .dll's within those folders and then create .ini file that point to those folders. Simple, sweet, and shall I say "organized".

Lastly, perus page 18, 2.3.5....some "revealing stuff" in that section...

"When you have eliminated the impossible, what is left, no matter how unlikely, is the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Yep...I get all that. I'm putting the .ini file in the C:\SAWStudio64\VST_PlugIns folder.... all VSTi's (not all,just the ones I really need NOW). are here: D:\Vst_plugins....As I mentioned, Trilian bass is what was slowing things down when installed directly in the C:\SAWStudio64\VST_PlugIns folder...I'm thinking by keeping it "someplace else" and pointing to it might help. I will check my work and try again today...
    Thanks Dell.

OK...after morning coffee, I was able to create a working .ini for Trilian....unfortunately, it is still rather slow to load, but workable.
    On another note, It ooks like Windows LTSC is still wanting to update. Is that normal? I thought the idea was no updates.
    Last edited by richswit; 11-30-2023 at 06:44 AM. Reason: UPDATE

Quote Originally Posted by richswit View Post
    Yep...I get all that. I'm putting the .ini file in the C:\SAWStudio64\VST_PlugIns folder.... all VSTi's (not all,just the ones I really need NOW). are here: D:\Vst_plugins....As I mentioned, Trilian bass is what was slowing things down when installed directly in the C:\SAWStudio64\VST_PlugIns folder...I'm thinking by keeping it "someplace else" and pointing to it might help. I will check my work and try again today...
    Thanks Dell.

OK...after morning coffee, I was able to create a working .ini for Trilian....unfortunately, it is still rather slow to load, but workable.
    On another note, It ooks like Windows LTSC is still wanting to update. Is that normal? I thought the idea was no updates.
    Actually you either install the plugin in the SAW Studio VST folder or you install the plugin to the default location for the plugin and point to it with a .ini file (meaning you allow the plugin to install to its default install location, NOT a folder of your choice).

The reason for allowing the plugin to install in its default location is to ensure that it has direct access to what ever files the Plugin thinks it needs (which it sometimes doesn't when installed in a separate directory).
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Trillian and all the Spectrasonics software will take a while to load. They all seem to “phone home” to see if there are updates and if active in your session, they will need time to load all the samples required. I believe linking by .ini would only be faster as a result of the library being on a faster drive.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Blog Entries

MMP,

Due to the success of
    Spectrasonics...their software is highly pirated!! Thus the apparent need for "certain security measures"!

However, I cannot ever see why someone would install a 33+GB sample library when the Kontakt version at 160MG is very similar...if indeed, not the same?

Also, it would appear that SSD's are really the only way to go when working with such large data files.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Actually you either install the plugin in the SAW Studio VST folder or you install the plugin to the default location for the plugin and point to it with a .ini file (meaning you allow the plugin to install to its default install location, NOT a folder of your choice).

The reason for allowing the plugin to install in its default location is to ensure that it has direct access to what ever files the Plugin thinks it needs (which it sometimes doesn't when installed in a separate directory).
    Ah... good point. After installing Windows LTSC and a fresh install of Saw....I cheated, and did not re-install the plugs. More work to do...

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Trillian and all the Spectrasonics software will take a while to load. They all seem to ***8220;phone home***8221; to see if there are updates and if active in your session, they will need time to load all the samples required. I believe linking by .ini would only be faster as a result of the library being on a faster drive.
    There ya go...I did not know that.
    Nothing beats Trilian upright basses, which I use all the time for jazz/songbook work I do.