Close

Default Feature Request: Extended Lo-/Hi-cut

Hi Bob,

Is there any chance of having you extend the min/max cut-offs for lo-/hi-cut? I have other plugs that will cut beyond 40Hz/15kHz, but I really like the way SS's EQ handles the slope. Sometimes, when I want 10-20Hz less or 1-2kHz more than SS's EQ, it's a tough decision to make since I prefer the SS EQ's slope. The decision would be easier with the extra range.

Jay
    Planet Earth is an incredible gift. It's our one and only home, yet we're slowly killing it and, in the process, killing ourselves. Think about the world you want your children to live in. Please think "preservation", not "plunder".

Default Re: Feature Request: Extended Lo-/Hi-cut

The algorithm starts to go weird beyond the current cuttoff points... which is why I stopped where I stopped.

I wanted to maintain the spec all the way through the frequency range... beyond those points, I found that wasn't possible with the current algorithm and I loved the audio results so much, I decided to leave it alone.

Bob L

Okay. I also very much like the results. Do you use another EQ when you want to go beyond the current cut-offs, or do you always use your own accepting its limits? If another, which one?

Jay
    Planet Earth is an incredible gift. It's our one and only home, yet we're slowly killing it and, in the process, killing ourselves. Think about the world you want your children to live in. Please think "preservation", not "plunder".

There are some nice expanded eqs out there... I actually like the Elemental Audio Eqium and Firium for a more technical eq design... when needed.

Personally, I have no real need for adjusting things outside my eq limits for almost 100% of the work I do. It would be very rare for me to need to go to one of these other eqs... although, there are plenty to choose from.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Q
    Hi Bob,

Is there any chance of having you extend the min/max cut-offs for lo-/hi-cut? I have other plugs that will cut beyond 40Hz/15kHz, but I really like the way SS's EQ handles the slope. Sometimes, when I want 10-20Hz less or 1-2kHz more than SS's EQ, it's a tough decision to make since I prefer the SS EQ's slope. The decision would be easier with the extra range.

Jay
    I assume the reason you want to extend the turnover frequency is so you can get more cut than the slope provides at its lowest (highest) turnover point?
    There is a simple solution to get more cut with the same filter and the same slope. Use the filter in series by sending the filtered channel out to another channel imput and then reapply the filter again to the second input. You will attenuate all the frequencies along the filter slope one more time. Effectively you've applied the filter twice in series to the same audio signal so you compound the attenuation. A little elaborate to set up but you will be using the same algorithm and filter slope on both occasions. I would be surprised if you need to do this a lot. For those few times you need it the above will work. Just make sure the channel with the first filter does not feed its audio to the o/p stereo mix bus but only to the input of the second filter channel.

By the same token, you can just keep patching my eq plugin, or anyone else's back to back and gang them up to steepen any of the slopes.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L
    There are some nice expanded eqs out there... I actually like the Elemental Audio Eqium and Firium for a more technical eq design... when needed.

Personally, I have no real need for adjusting things outside my eq limits for almost 100% of the work I do. It would be very rare for me to need to go to one of these other eqs... although, there are plenty to choose from.

Bob L
    Bob, as I mentioned earlier, I noticed that Slopes don't apply to EQ faders or filter cut. (Doesn't ramp like it does when applied to a fader automation entry).
    However, I noticed that the Slope values still read on any auto entry (for example, enter a slope of 100 on an EQ fader change and the slope will always show a 100 - but the actual eq fader slope is unchanged (0).
    Was slope going to apply to other controls beyond the channel fader at some later date?
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

The value is stored and held with all controls... but the actual slope code would have to be written specifically for each type of control, and the algorithm for a fader is quite different for a pan which is completely different for an eq frequency change... etc.

So, in the future, more and more controls may obtain sloped algorithms, but no telling when that might work its way up to the top of the todo list.

Bob L

Thanks, guys. I've used the in-series technique but was hoping to achieve what I wanted without the extra hassle and CPU drainage. Just thought I'd ask if a change to Bob's EQ could be made since it'd be easier (on me and the CPU), and that change would sometimes eliminate the need to go to other EQs.

Jay