Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mouse moves across screens crash SAWStudio

Hi everyone,

I loaded SAWStudio 32 in a new laptop that is plugged into a USB-C dock with 2 monitors, the screens being driven from the dock. Everything is plugged into the dock, including the mouse (mice). This is the work computer so I can't really mess around much with alternative setups. SAWStudio is working fine. except I crash it if dragging the Mouse accross screens. Not all the time but pretty frequently. I installed Process Lasso and this made a big difference in overall stability but no matter what I try, the Mouse move tends to crash SAW. I get the "Play Buffer OverRun" error. This is in Win 10 and a Fiio player for output as a USB Dac, using Fiio's ASIO driver. Even with conservative buffer settings (8x 128) I get this behavior and it is not really much better than with much lower buffer settings such as 2x 32. I have two different "mice", a wireless Logitech and a wired Contour Roller Mouse. Both exhibit same behavior. I've tried to assign the different Graphics card to SAWStudio (no effect) and I've tried to hobble the Windows Display Management (wdm.exe) in Process Lasso so that it doesn't step on SAW. I've got SAW running Real Time priority. This is a minor but annoying issue, I'd appreciate any tips.

And as always, thanks Bob for such great software.

eduardo
    Last edited by eduardo; 12-05-2023 at 04:41 PM.

Default Re: Mouse moves across screens crash SAWStudio

Buffer settings info

the first number 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x is the number of buffers available and has almost no influence on the CPU load.

the second number 16, 32, 64, 128, etc is the size of the buffer (Sample Size) and has a direct impact on the CPU load as it determines the amount of time available to process all the information before the buffer is dumped.

1x128, 2x128, 3x128, 8x128 is near real-time, and is NOT a conservative buffer setting (and all of the x128 settings regardless of how many there are will have pretty much the same impact as far as processing time before buffer overrun).

Lowering that to anything x32 is even worse (going the wrong direction) and would only be used in system requiring real-time monitoring, which Saw Studio does not need.

Try 2x1024 or 2x2048
    Last edited by cgrafx; 12-05-2023 at 08:12 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

eduardo,

Here is my suggestion for you...and in the order provided...

1) Please disconnect everything and try the laptop with the TouchPad.
    2) Ask the question: Does this resolve the situation...Yes?...or NO?
    3) If 2) is Yes! then try an external corded mouse
    4) Repeat #2
    5) Connect the dock and try the corded mouse
    6) Repeat #2
    7) Connect one monitor
    8) Repeat #2
    9) You get the idea!!

If, for whatever reason, #2 is No...then you apparently have issues with the laptop itself that need to be resolved first.

Hope this helps?

What are you dragging across the screens - something internal to saw, a plugin, or just the mouse pointer? Also are using the stock windows mouse driver, or are you using a fancier driver with things like macro functions?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention going into system performance and visual effects and turning off many of the things like animation and transparency. There may be some tips in the manual... (maybe one of these features is more pronounced with your graphics driver) Also, you might turn off or switch to a simpler themes, there may be some fancy thing that happens when focus moves from screen to screen.
    Last edited by jmh; 12-06-2023 at 05:38 AM.

Try right-clicking the desktop icon for SAWStudio and selecting properties... then the advanced button and then check the Run As Administrator option... this will help SAW try to tun above other basic Windows functions like mouse and display and perhaps get it on top of much of the basic background functions.

Bob L

You can also check in the Options menu with:

Force single CPU.
    Force High Priority Class.
    Force RealTime Priority Class

Select and see which one works best.

Default Re: Mouse moves across screens crash SAWStudio (MYSTERY SOLVED)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Try right-clicking the desktop icon for SAWStudio and selecting properties... then the advanced button and then check the Run As Administrator option... this will help SAW try to tun above other basic Windows functions like mouse and display and perhaps get it on top of much of the basic background functions.

Bob L
    Thank you Bob and all. Most suggestions I had already done without solving the issue. I have further narrowed the problem to moving the mouse pointer over both FX Patch Lists. Anywhere in the Lists, both the Top-Client Area and the lower yellow area where the patched effects are listed. It doesn't matter if there are effects patched or nothing patched at all. This reliably causes the Buffer OverRun condition. It also happens if the Lists are in the same monitor, so the issue has nothing to do with dragging the mouse across screens. If I stay away from the FX Patch Lists there are no issues - moving the mouse all over the place is perfectly stable, as long as I stay away from the FX Patch Lists. The FX Choices window is immune to this problem, I can hover and drag accross it without problems. The simple solution then is to close the Lists and only open them when needed. With the Lists closed, it is 100% solid and I'm actually typing this as SAW is playing back a loop without crashing. I can be on the web, and also use my Outlook for email and calendar all at the same time and it won't crash. I'm happy with this workaround, but I figure I should report it, as it is out of step with the rock-steady super robust performance we're used to.

happily multi-tasking while mixing in SAW,

eduardo

Blog Entries

Eduardo,

Did you even attempt my suggestions?

What happens when you test the laptop "alone"

Please let me know?

See here: [Click_Me]

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Eduardo,

Did you even attempt my suggestions?<...>
    I did not. I'm aware of troubleshooting best practices, but i'm happy with the workaround I found as it allows me to work with the existing (and mandatory) setup. I don't believe the issue is related to the laptop, the dock or Windows per se - clearly it has to do with just the two FX Patch Lists, as the problem follows them, regardless of which screen they are in. A generic USB Mouse plugged directly to the Laptop exhibits the same problem. There is nothing else unstable in SAW or any other program, and as I said, I happily multi-task without problems. To clarify, I am not dragging any window when the problem happens, it is just moving the mouse cursor over the FX Patch Lists that causes the OverRun, without mouse clicks or other actions. I'm happy to investigate further if Bob asks.

eduardo