Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Open SoundFile default path

Whenever I'm working in a session and want to open or add a sound file to the session, when I go to do that using one of the File menu options, the file-chooser dialog appears to default to the default EDL path setting. This means I have to then navigate to the actual project/session folder (where my assets would typically be). Not a huge deal except that I have a zillion project folders to wade through.

Is there a way to set the default open/add sound file path to that of the current session folder--that I'm missing? The open and save EDL options' path is that of the current session by default. Would love it if there was a way for the open and add sound file options behaved the same way.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: Open SoundFile default path

Hi, and with the library view ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Whenever I'm working in a session and want to open or add a sound file to the session, when I go to do that using one of the File menu options, the file-chooser dialog appears to default to the default EDL path setting. This means I have to then navigate to the actual project/session folder (where my assets would typically be). Not a huge deal except that I have a zillion project folders to wade through...
    Know the feeling well....

The one redeeming thing about it currently is that once you point SAW to the correct folder with the first import, it will continue to open to that location when importing more files, if needed.... at least as long as that session is still open. In fact, it will continue to open that folder as long as SAW is open.

Yeah, that works. But that means setting it up first. And that process suffers the same defaulting issue.
    Becket, Massachusetts

True 'nuff.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

You stated, "Whenever I'm working in a session and want to open or add a sound file to the session, when I go to do that using one of the File menu options, the file-chooser dialog appears to default to the default EDL path setting." ... Ultimately, Bob will need to chime-in here.

If I understanding things correctly, SAW employs the "normal" Windows-based file management functionalities [File|Open, File|Save As...] and so on. If this IS true, then Windows will retain the last invoked Folder selection for subsequent file actions [File Open|Save]...and so on.

Have you tested this anomaly out using other applications [Notepad, Word]...and so on?

Let me know what you discover?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

You stated, "Whenever I'm working in a session and want to open or add a sound file to the session, when I go to do that using one of the File menu options, the file-chooser dialog appears to default to the default EDL path setting." ... Ultimately, Bob will need to chime-in here.

If I understanding things correctly, SAW employs the "normal" Windows-based file management functionalities [File|Open, File|Save As...] and so on. If this IS true, then Windows will retain the last invoked Folder selection for subsequent file actions [File Open|Save]...and so on.

Have you tested this anomaly out using other applications [Notepad, Word]...and so on?

Let me know what you discover?
    I don't know that I'd call it an anomaly. I think you may be misunderstanding. It appears to simply be that SAW's not coded in this particular way that I would find helpful. I'm almost always going to my current session's folder for any additional sound files. I'd find it helpful if SAW initially looked in the current session folder for the initial open or add sound file operation, as well as for the library view's Open Directory of Sound Files function. (after the first time, it defaults to the last folder used, which is great)

It probably just didn't occur to Bob as a useful feature. Who knows how common it might (or might not) be for other users to have this same preference?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 12-11-2023 at 08:44 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Leaving the SoundFile Record Path blank sets the soundfile default path to the current session folder, thereby keeping the default for all sessions soundfiles within the same session folder... which is the prefferred recommended way to work.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Bob,

From the manual: "SoundFile Record Path , Sets the default path used for recording new SoundFiles. Leaving this path blank allows the automatic record path assignment to match your current project path assignment, thereby keeping all project files together in one location. This method is recommended for project management and organization."

Would this configuration then, not
    apply equally as well to the [Session EDL Path] and the [SoundFile Playback Path]?

Just curious!

No....

A good working setup would be something like... create a folder called "Audio" on a data drive like D:.

Then set the EDL Path and Soundfile Playback path to D:\Audio.

Then create your projects in a folder for each project... like D:\Audio\Projectx.

Leave the Soundfile Record path blank.

Now each time you startup and open the Save Session dialog, it will point to D:\Audio and you can easily create the new project folder there and as you begin recording the soundfiles will be automatically placed in that project folder. If you are using existing soundfiles in the project, copy them all into that folder first and then build the session from those files.

This way, all files involved in each project will be contained in that one project folder and the entire project can be easily copied and backed up by simply copying that one folder.

Also... consider setting the EDL Undo path to "\Undo"...this will then automatically create an "Undo" folder in the project folder and neatly tuck all undo files in that undo folder.

Bob L