Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Open SoundFile default path

Bob -- thanks for this. For the life of me, I thought it would not do what I wanted, which is exactly what it does when one sets paths as you've suggested and works the way you suggest working (which I always have, probably because you suggested it 20+ years ago).

But I think I have discovered why it usually doesn't work for me: I almost always open EDLs by going to the recently-opened list. For whatever reason, opening an EDL that way doesn't allow the Open SoundFile operations to look to the current EDL/session path. It reverts to the prior, "properly-opened" EDL's path. Or maybe it's the prior Open SoundFile path (as Windows would have it do, I think). I guess a flag isn't getting thrown when opening EDLs from the list.

Could it be time... for ver. 1.4?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I always open from the recent list option as well and I have not noticed any improper behavior.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Dave,

Have your checked the paths in View, File?
    * See: File View Window

Just a thought!

PS: "
    Could it be time... for ver. 1.4?"...???
    Last edited by mr_es335; 12-14-2023 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    I always open from the recent list option as well and I have not noticed any improper behavior.

Bob L
    Hmph. Would be great if it worked for me that way. Steps to reproduce:

Open SAWStudio64
    Go to Options/File Path Setup
    Set Session EDL Path to D:\Projects\
    Set SoundFile Playback Path to D:\Projects\
    Leave SoundFile Record Path field blank
    (if it matters, I also have Mix Template Path set to C:\SAWStudio64\Mix\, Alternate PeakData Path to C:\SAWStudio64\AltPeakData\, EDL Undo Path to \undo\, and SoundFile Undo Path left blank)
    Click Ok
    Save default preferences
    Close SAW
    Open SAW
    Open recent session from File/Recent Session FileList
    Go to File/Open SoundFile

For me, the resulting folder picker is then pointing at D:\Projects\ rather than at the current session's project folder therein.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

Have your checked the paths in View, File?
    * See: File View Window

Just a thought!
    Nosir. Not sure how that may play into it. But many of my opened-from-the-recent-list EDLs were indeed missing file associations, so I just did another test opening an EDL without any such flaws from the recent list, and my result is the same.

PS: "Could it be time... for ver. 1.4?"...???
    Insofar as the current version is 1.3: adding my desired Open SoundFile functionality (and whatever else Bob desires, of course) would be +0.1.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

If you are referring to SAW64...the current version is v1.4 [SAWStudio64_V1_4.exe]?!?

Correct... it opens to the Open Soundfile playback path until you sect a different path which will then become the current default as you continue working. This has nothing to do with using the Recent Session Open option. The automatic path setting is for the record soundfiles.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,

If you are referring to SAW64...the current version is v1.4 [SAWStudio64_V1_4.exe]?!?
    Woah! How did I miss that? Thanks!
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Correct... it opens to the Open Soundfile playback path until you sect a different path which will then become the current default as you continue working. This has nothing to do with using the Recent Session Open option. The automatic path setting is for the record soundfiles.

Bob L
    Thanks. Okay, so what I was hoping for (since it would support the recommended way to organize project files) was to have a way to set the sound file playback path such that it would default to the current session path. So we don't have to manually point there twice (once for EDL openings and once for sound file openings). Am I correct in thinking that there is no way to do that? Just wondering. Not a huge thing.
    Becket, Massachusetts