Close

Default Variety of Sound VSTs problem

I will be leaving on a long trip soon and am hoping to use the down time to work on mixing some projects. I have been moving SAW and a bunch of plugins to a new laptop in preparation. Most everything has been working fine except for the latest versions of the Variety of Sound plugins.

On my main studio computer, they open without a problem. On the laptop, I get the dreaded trouble opening plugin message. This happens no matter in 32 or 64 bit. I've tried the .ini method, and some other things I can't remember right now. No joy. Both the studio desktop and the laptop are running windows 10.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Maybe I am missing something.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Default Re: Variety of Sound VSTs problem

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I will be leaving on a long trip soon and am hoping to use the down time to work on mixing some projects. I have been moving SAW and a bunch of plugins to a new laptop in preparation. Most everything has been working fine except for the latest versions of the Variety of Sound plugins.

On my main studio computer, they open without a problem. On the laptop, I get the dreaded trouble opening plugin message. This happens no matter in 32 or 64 bit. I've tried the .ini method, and some other things I can't remember right now. No joy. Both the studio desktop and the laptop are running windows 10.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Maybe I am missing something.
    did you just copy the folders from the working computer or did you go through the install process for the plugins?

For the VSTs your having trouble with, (if you haven't already) do a reinstall of the plugin from the installer to make sure it has correctly made all the registry entries it needs to make.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Angie,

Just tested out the SlickEQ plug-in...no issues whatsoever [64-bit only!]
    * No registry entries that have been able to ascertain...they do also provide a non-installer version.

I always install plug-ins in the VST_PlugIns folder - though, to the possible chagrin of others,

I also prefer the .ini method...though a destination folder would be required first, for example, VST_PlugIns\[folder_name].

PS: I can "remote-in to a a look-see if you like?

Your statement, "I have been moving SAW and a bunch of plugins to a new laptop in preparation." I do hope that you and others realize that "no two computers are alike!" Even amongst the same Vendor and Model, there can be minute differences in the way in which things function. This situation is is even moreso with OS's like WIN10|WIN11! And I have proof that ts situation IS indeed true! And "rolling-out" from a desktop scenario to a laptop
    scenario is even moreso!

May I ask what is the Vendor, Make|Model of the laptop? What Windows 10 version|build are you using?

Last edited by mr_es335; 12-12-2023 at 09:45 AM.

Angie,

I was having a similar problem after a recent upgrade. It turned out I had a vst that I never use patched in from when I had previously saved the default (on the old machine). It may have been on an empty aux or output track. It has also propagated to some edls that had spun off of that default. I don't know that it was a missing dll or maybe a missing folder or file dependency - but I don't think I was getting filter pins message - but crash on load or playback.

I think I disabled half the tracks (or maybe track selected) then half of what was left until I found the bad track or tracks.

...a little addendum to the previous comment is that I recall not knowing which plugin was a fault and there was something funny like the edl or default had a open plugin display which would mislead me to thinking that the problem resided in that one, when it turned out to be a next plugin in the chain or next track.

...talk about a couple of vague posts - but once it becomes water under the bridge you move on, and I guess I struggled with identifying the problem - then once you finally identify it, the fix is easy, so after a while it doesn't get much traction in the memory.

Another time I got problematic operation was when I just copied my saw folder from one machine to another - and maybe across versions of windows. Don't do that - windows now has a type of access control and various hidden properties for files and folders that the older folder lacked. It may be that newly added files inherit properties from the parent folder which didn't exist in the copied folder. Anyway the fix that time was a new saw install to build the all the saw folders new, which I was then able to copy in the old edls and audio - and all was well.
    Last edited by jmh; 12-12-2023 at 11:38 PM.

Figured it out!
    This laptop never had the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (64-bit) pack installed.

Installed it and they open just fine now.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com