Close

Default PCI-MIDI vs USB-MIDI?

Hello Folks!
    Comparison, PCI-MIDI and USB-MIDI?
    I have an old Creative SoundBlaster card lying around here, could that MIDI port be used for something useful?
    I have so many USB ports in use now and only one port is USB3.
    USB-MIDI 8x8, USB-MIDI keyboard, USB-NanoKontrol, USB-HUB with 4 ports, mouse and keyboard.
    The only problem so far is that the mouse freezes every now and then.
    PCI-USB3 with, I think it was 6 ports, would maybe be more powerful and the price is OK.
    I don't know but the PCI card with MIDI port just made me wonder if you could use it for something.
    Anyone using PCI-MIDI cards?

Default Re: PCI-MIDI vs USB-MIDI?

I have an RME PCIe card with midi that I use with my Nord keyboard (which does not have usb on it) and it works great with MWS. As a classical/jazz pianist, I've always found Bob's MWS captures every nuance of a performance.
    Rich
    Saw64, SAC64 DP, Live, Cubase, Logic Pro and LUNA
    http://www.jillandrich.net

Blog Entries

I use the USB on my keyboard controller to control the DAW and I then use the MIDI output to control my Integra 7 the Integra 7 then hooks up to the computer via USB so my keyboard can control 2 different things.

In fact, my MIDI controller/keyboard Behringer UMX490 has both MIDI and USB, so I might be able to use MIDI as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    I use the USB on my keyboard controller to control the DAW and I then use the MIDI output to control my Integra 7 the Integra 7 then hooks up to the computer via USB so my keyboard can control 2 different things.
    Good idea, using it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by richswit View Post
    I have an RME PCIe card with midi that I use with my Nord keyboard (which does not have usb on it) and it works great with MWS. As a classical/jazz pianist, I've always found Bob's MWS captures every nuance of a performance.
    Rich
    Well...good to know, MIDI from/to sound card is still something to consider.

Blog Entries

Göran,

I would like to address your concerns in turn...

C1: I have an old Creative SoundBlaster card lying around here, could that MIDI port be used for something useful?
    R1: Creative went through many, many iterations of their devices. Some "Okay!" "Some "Not Okay!"
    * If the card is a SoundBlaster or a SoundBlaster 16...these cards were not the greatest....especially if the card is PCI.

C2: I have so many USB ports in use now and only one port is USB3.
    R2: Okay??

C3: USB-MIDI 8x8, USB-MIDI keyboard, USB-NanoKontrol, USB-HUB with 4 ports, mouse and keyboard.
    R3: I personally DO NOT recommend the use of USB Hubs...especially non-powered hubs!
    * May I ask what the purpose IS of employing a hub? USB...in-and-of-itself, is not the greatest connectivity methodology, so why exacerbate the problem?

C4: The only problem so far is that the mouse freezes every now and then.
    R4: Is the mouse connected to the hub? Is the mouse cabled/non-cabled?
    * Connect the mouse directly to the motherboard...black is preferred. Observe the results?

C5: PCI-USB3 with, I think it was 6 ports, would maybe be more powerful and the price is OK.
    R5: Not following you here, Göran? Is this a question?
    * PCIe UBB3 cards are okay...as long are you using an "additional power" source.

C6: I don't know but the PCI card with MIDI port just made me wonder if you could use it for something.
    R6: Again, this all depends on the Make/Model of the device!

C7: Anyone using PCI-MIDI cards?
    R7: As with RICH, I employ an RME card [HDSP9632] with the provided "break-out cable" for MIDI...no issues that I have ever noticed!

I hope this information will be of some practicable use?

PS: Hans Zimmer employs Doepfer controllers...interesting equipment here

Two questions:

1) Do you have a motherboard with a PCI slot? (I do :^) You would need that.

2) Sorry to be so ignorant on this, but does a dedicated MIDI card need a driver that works with your current OS? If so, do you have that driver?

Good luck!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Two questions:

1) Do you have a motherboard with a PCI slot? (I do :^) You would need that.

2) Sorry to be so ignorant on this, but does a dedicated MIDI card need a driver that works with your current OS? If so, do you have that driver?

Good luck!
    Yes, I have a motherboard with PCI slots, there are now 5 PCI slots available.
    The sound card I would experiment with is a SoundBlaster Creative Live which has MIDI.
    There is a driver for Windows 10, unsigned driver, I downloaded it but I haven't decided yet whether to install it or not.
    I think I leave it all for now, maybe I install it the next time I clean my computer.
    It's a rack mounted PC in a cabinet in a corner, have to unmount it and pull it out, ( a bit of work).
    I'm not really sure if it would lighten the load on the computer, I mean there are so many USB ports in use, so I thought I could replace some USB-MIDI with PCI-MIDI if that makes any difference.
    Anyway, I probably won't do anything right now.