Close

Blog Entries

Default MWS and the "bottom reference grid"?

Good day,

It might be true that some will say that I have a tendency to "over-think" things...but if so, if this penchant of mine has the beneficial effect of increasing my overall comprehension of something, then I will, more-than-likely, not be altering these habits any time soon.

Anyhow, to the point at hand...

According to the Midi WorkShop64 User Manual, page 24, "[Left-Clicking] the Up/Dn zones shifts the MIDI note display bottom reference grid up or down, effectively shifting MIDI notes of different octaves into the center of the display."
    * Notice the use of the phrase "bottom reference grid".

It is interesting to note that the employment of the Up/Dn zones appear to function in a manner opposite to that which I would normally have expected.

For example, by selecting the Up/Dn zones, I would have expected the data to shift upwards. However, the data shifts downward! This begs the question then, "Why?"

I sincerely believe that the answer to this question lies in a proper understanding of the phrase, "bottom reference grid".

If anyone could assist me with in being able in deriving an answer to the question ,"Why?", I would be very grateful!

Blog Entries

Default Re: MWS and the "bottom reference grid"?

Good day,

Possible Solution #1
    I employ a ruler to represent this bottom reference grid.

I have three pitches, an A-4, a B-4 and a C-5

In scenario A, I only want to observe the B-4 and the C-5
    This would be accomplished by moving the bottom reference grid "upwards" - thus, in effect, "hiding" the A-4
    I am now observing only the B-4 and the C-5

In scenario B, I only want to observe the A-4 and the B-4
    This would be accomplished by moving the bottom reference grid "downwards" - thus, in effect, "hiding" the C-5
    I would then be observing only the A-4 and the B-4

I now know what this bottom reference grid does! However, I still need to define what this bottom reference grid is?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 12-19-2023 at 09:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Good day,

Possible Solution #2
    * Note: I have undated the previous scenarios to make these scenarios just a bit clearer.

I employ a ruler to represent this bottom reference grid.

I have three pitches, an A-4, a B-4 and a C-5

In scenario A, I only want to observe the pitches B-4 and C-5
    I would accomplish this task by adjusting the bottom reference grid "upwards" - thus, in effect, "hiding" the A-4
    I am now observing just the pitches B-4 and the C-5

In scenario B, I only want to observe the pitches A-4 and B-4
    I would accomplish this task by adjusting the bottom reference grid "downwards" - thus, in effect, "hiding" the C-5
    I am now observing just the pitches A-4 and B4

I now know "what" this bottom reference grid does!

The bottom reference grid is an imaginary, horizontal line that determines what Midi data is observed in a given Midi track.

I now know what this bottom reference grid is.

Is the above a "workable" solution?

I'm not sure I understand the term "bottom reference grid," per se, but it only seems to occur once in all of RML-dom: in that one passage in the MWS user manual and help file. I think it was Bob's way of indicating the "virtual surface" on which the MIDI notes are displayed. It might better be called the "viewed track portion" in this context. But I can understand Bob's struggle in coming up with a helpful term. It eludes me as well.

But, yes, it seems a bit confusing that the up button makes the "grid" and its data go down (and vice versa). I guess the way to look at it is that the up zone bumps the viewed track portion up, and the down zone bumps the viewed track portion down.

I guess I do understand what Bob meant. He's calling my "virtual surface" a grid that is used to reference the relative positions of the midi notes (in both pitch and time) -- not unlike the x/y reference frame used in much science and math. And it's located "beneath" the notes, so he's calling it the "bottom" reference grid. That last bit took a while to make sense to me. He means bottom not as in up and down on the screen, but as in front to back (aka bottom).
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

The up and down buttons give you access to all the notes on the keyboard if you do not have that track open enough to see all the notes so you can edit them, it's that simple and you can use the mouse scroll wheel with them also.

CLICK HERE