Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SAW not saving settings in MWS.

Hello Folks!
    In MWS the Note Scale type and scale color are not saved with the song project, the same goes for the grid settings in MWS.
    The next day when opening the project in SAW I have to manipulate the settings again for that project in MWS.

From the help file: With data on one or more tracks, you can begin exploring the interface and navigation commands. To save complete Midi WorkShop sessions save the session from SAWStudio itself. The current .edl will link to a new companion file with a .edl_mws extension. To re-open the session, open the session from SAWStudio and it will automatically open the linked Midi WorkShop file.

Default Re: SAW not saving settings in MWS.

hi, in MWS -> File ->F-Key File -> Link To Saw Alt-F-Key

Blog Entries

Göran,

You stated, "In MWS the Note Scale type and scale color are not saved with the song project, the same goes for the grid settings in MWS."

These settings are "Preferences-related" not "Session-related".

On page 54, it states, "Preferences File Save Default, This option saves the default preferences which automatically load each time the program is started. This file contains the data for the MIDI port setup and patch device assignments, as well as other default options settings."

The information that Ivanoff provided still require the "Preferences" to be updated or such settings will be lost.

Peruse the following:
    * page 61, "Save the default preferences to keep the settings as permanent."
    * Page 64, "17. From the MWS File Menu, select Preferences File | Save Default to save the link option as a default."

As a very important "point-of-interest" for ALL MWS users, if I understand thing correctly, MWS is built-upon SAW [indeed as is SAC], thus, the more about SAW I understand, the better that I will understand the other applications.
    * I have attempted at the outset to delineate between Sessions and Preferences - to ensure that what needs to be "saved" is indeed, "being saved".
    * I do remember years ago, going through each-and-every Menu option and determining which "absolutely for sure" which settings were
    "Preferences-related" and those settings that were "Session-related". Took me hours!!!
    * Though the SAW Manual was concise, there were still a few items that required further clarification.

I do remember as a child my father insisting that I must not only
    know and understand what a particular tool IS, but that I must also equally know and understand what a tool does do and what that does does not do!

Hope this helps?

Uuh...so one must save each project as a preference file until the song is finished?

Blog Entries

Göran,

"Uuh...so one must save each project as a preference file until the song is finished?" Actually, "No!" I sincerely believe that are missing the point here! So, please indulge me if you would for a moment-or-two!

I have adopted a single principle that I have been employing for years - especially when I am doing things in what I tend refer to as "the digital realm".

That saying is, "Analog concepts in the digital realm". And what I am referring to here is simply that there must be something that exists "in the real world" before that something can exist "in the digital world".
    * It should go without saying then, that if I am unable to do something that exists in the real world, that I should NOT expect or even infer that I am able to do that some thing in the digital one.

Some examples:
    Microsoft Excel: Analog source=columnar book, Digital source=spreadsheet application
    Microsoft Notepad: Analog source=a pen and a physical notepad, Digital source=a text-editor application
    SAW: Analog source=a 4+ track tape recorder, Digital source=a digital audio application
    SAC: Analog source=a 4+ channel mixing console, Digital source=a "mixer-in-a-box" application
    ...and so on...

Though "I am not a mixing engineer nor a mixing engineer's son"...I am hoping that this example will be of some help in understanding the differences between "a non-preference thing" and "a preference thing".

1. As a mixing engineer, I am "mixing" a classical guitarist
    2. At the end of the day, that guitarist wants to ensure that how the audience is listening to them is indeed how that audience SHOULD BE listening to them.
    * I would refer to this situation as being "session-related".
    3. However, as the mixing engineer, I require specific ingredients to ensure that I am able to meet that particular guitarist's expectations.
    * Does that guitarist really care about those ingredients...probably not. Only as long as those ingredients are able to produce the desired outcome that the guitarist is seeking.
    * I would refer to this situation as being "preferences-related" - in that, such are my preferences in what is required to get the job done, and not necessarily the guitarist's. I do hope that this makes sense?

The point is this, "I really need to know the difference between session-related and preferences-related!" And though the manual's are helpful, I do tend to find such information oftentimes "insufficient"...and thus, further investigation on my part is warranted!

I hope this information will be of some practicable use?

Last edited by mr_es335; 12-20-2023 at 10:42 AM.

In my project right now I have vocal as audio track in SAW MT, the rest is VSTi thru MWS.
    The settings in MWS is 8th note grid and the scale is Bm, notecolor B-scale.
    I save the project in SAW as, "Alley-15".
    The next time I open up the project "Alley-15" the grid in MWS has no value and the scale is C- scale.
    Explain why I have to manipulate "Alley-15" everytime!
    If I save the project in MWS as preference default, then settings for that project is in Bm scale and note color is B-scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Göran Nordberg View Post
    Uuh...so one must save each project as a preference file until the song is finished?
    These settings are more like preferences that you'd want to reappear whenever you use MWS. At least that's the intention of MWS' design, I think. Just like in SAW: you save the default preferences file to show you the stuff you want to see most often.

In SAW you can also save individual preference files for those times when you must insist on some tweaks to the interface/workflow. Alas, MWS does not have that option, and I don't believe MWS preferences will save with SAW's preferences (default or otherwise). But do you really need this?

I only discovered the colored-notes option last week! And I love it. And I want to see it that way all the time, now.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,

Some good points here, Dave.

"I only discovered the colored-notes option last week! And I love it. And I want to see it that way all the time, now...." ...,, so, you would then save this setting as a "preference".

"Alas, MWS does not have that option..." ... Correct!

"...and I don't believe MWS preferences will save with SAW's preferences..." ... Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Göran Nordberg View Post
    In my project right now I have vocal as audio track in SAW MT, the rest is VSTi thru MWS.
    The settings in MWS is 8th note grid and the scale is Bm, notecolor B-scale.
    I save the project in SAW as, "Alley-15".
    The next time I open up the project "Alley-15" the grid in MWS has no value and the scale is C- scale.
    Explain why I have to manipulate "Alley-15" everytime!
    If I save the project in MWS as preference default, then settings for that project is in Bm scale and note color is B-scale.
    As explained, these are handled as preferences. I.e. they save with MWS globally, not with individual sessions.

I agree that these preferences might be better saved with the individual session.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    so, you would then save this setting as a "preference".
    Which I did.

That said, I can see Göran's points. Some of these might be better saved with the session.
    Becket, Massachusetts