Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bigger monitors for DAW

The [U] that forms with the monitors correspond to frequencies around 200Hz or less which can highlight around it and create reflections: Comb filter. The monitors function as reflective surfaces that extend the baffle of the speakers also causing a comb filter.

For more information: https://www.css-audio.com/single-pos...nd-Diffraction

Also the left monitor is blocking a tuning port and the center speaker tweeter appears to sit above your head for the close listening position.
    Last edited by Pedro V; 12-25-2023 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Good day,

Have a peep at this? [Link]
    I'd think for composing the room's acoustic requirements are much less demanding than for mixing. Especially in consideration of the fact that typically all the stuff being created in this space is to be replaced upon recording by a real orchestra.

I'm surprised that he has the big main speakers. Although I guess it would be important to get a feel for how everything translates/feels on big speakers like that (more like the sound in an actual cinema).
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro V View Post
    The [U] that forms with the monitors correspond to frequencies around 200Hz or less which can highlight around it and create reflections: Comb filter. The monitors function as reflective surfaces that extend the baffle of the speakers also causing a comb filter.

For more information: https://www.css-audio.com/single-pos...nd-Diffraction

Also the left monitor is blocking a tuning port and the center speaker tweeter appears to sit above your head for the close listening position.
    Man, this stuff gets so deep. I'm in the process of converting my attic into a recording and mixing space, and, starting to research relevant acoustics basics, I'm beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed.

Thinking of soffit mounting a pair of Urei 809a's that I've had since the 90s. That's a rabbit hole unto itself. Then there's the "room," which is a very oddly- and asymmetrically-shaped space, what with a two-sided 12/12 pitched roof and dormers and things...
    Becket, Massachusetts

Don't overthink this.

I use a Dell 30" 2k monitor WQXGA (2560 x 1600). It's not massive, but the extra screen real-estate over an HD 1080p display is very useful.

---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philip,

Beautiful as always!

And sometimes, more is just simply that, "More!"

PS: In the first image, positioned on the right monitor, is that an ancient wireless device?

Philip,

Beautiful as always!

And sometimes, more is just simply that, "More!"

PS: In the first image, positioned on the right monitor, is that an ancient wireless device?
    It's a pair of Shure PSM900 transmitters. Occasionally I have larger groups of people in the studio and need more headphone amps/mixes than is hardwired in my studio rig, so I add the extra people on wireless packs.

The wireless stuff doesn't normally live there, I just haven't put it away yet.
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Philips,

I was actually referring to the following... [Image] ...in jest...of course!

Philips,

I was actually referring to the following... [Image] ...in jest...of course!
    Ahh.. yes. in that case yes very old equipment... part of our antiquated Lucent Partner ACS PBX phone system. We actually have line interfaces attached to our Fiber Internet to allow use to continue to use our own internal phone system.
    Philip G.

Ideas:

- Monitors below the speakers and absorbent panels between them on both axes. (If the tweeter is a little above your ears, place it further away from them)

- In addition to bass traps in the corners and absorbent panels where you understand it is necessary, use different everyday objects such as; paintings, decorations, chairs, benches, cushions. etc

- In houses there are always things stored that you may find useful for absorption, diffraction and decoration of your room.

- Rug

The acoustics in these cases are not complicated, it is a bit of information and common sense.

Last edited by Pedro V; 12-27-2023 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro V View Post
    Ideas:

- Monitors below the speakers and absorbent panels between them on both axes. (If the tweeter is a little above your ears, place it further away from them)

- In addition to bass traps in the corners and absorbent panels where you understand it is necessary, use different everyday objects such as; paintings, decorations, chairs, benches, cushions. etc

- In houses there are always things stored that you may find useful for absorption, diffraction and decoration of your room.

- Rug

The acoustics in these cases are not complicated, it is a bit of information and common sense.

Thanks, Pedro. I'd love to keep it fairly simple like that.

Hey, I think you meant diffusion when you wrote diffraction. The latter is something that's typically seen as problematic.
    Becket, Massachusetts