Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default OT: Piezo Pickups

Good day,

I have a query - and a possible "challenge" for the Forum members with regards to removing, if-at-all-possible, the "qwacki-ness" from a piezo pickup!

The "pickup systems" that I currently employ for the acoustic guitars are from kna Pickups, 1) the NG-1 for the nylon-strung, and 2) the SG-1 for the steel-strung.
    • I was looking for both a "non-invasive" and rather unobtrusive pickup system for both guitars.

My question is simply this, "Employing only RML Labs plug-ins [I have them all], What channel configuration could be employed for removing the inherent piezo output sound for the steel-strung?"
    • Thus far, I am reasonably satisfied with the output for the nylon-strung.

As always, any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Default Re: OT: Piezo Pickups

Do use a high impedance input? In most cases a high impedance input (active DI or that like) solves that kind of problems for me.
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Blog Entries

Good day,

Thanks Tomy for the followup! Appreciated!

I do believe that I have all of the basics covered...

I must admit, I am somewhat disappointed/surprised, 1) ...that for the period of time that such pickups have been "out", that someone has not come up with an EQ/Compressor "fix" for this?, 2) ...that I am simply asking/expecting for the impossible?, or 3) ...that no one really cares about the
    "qwacki-ness"?

Sadly, I do...and I absolutely detest it!!

No one cares to "chime-in" then?

All the pickup types have their own peculiar sound, Dell. Weren't you using a combo system a couple of years ago with an insider mic - or maybe two? I remember that one as being my favorite for quite awhile. Not that it sounded like an un-amplified guitar. But, maybe better. Why did you stop using those?

In my limited experience, the only way to radically improve a piezo sound is to change the placement of it. It's picking up what it hears right on that spot. But different places on the guitar will have different sounds - and sometimes one spot is less quacky than others. It might not even need to move far. But it looks as if this product is meant to be in that one particular spot?

Are you using a Piezo compatible DI box?

if not.. I'd look at one of these.

https://www.radialeng.com/product/pz-di

The PZ-DI has a variable load selector switch that allows you to set the input impedance of the direct box, so you can optimize the performance with your instrument's pickups. The 1 meg ohm position delivers the classic impedance found on most active DI boxes, while the 220k ohm setting warms up the tone of magnetic pickups to provide the feel and tone as if your instrument were connected directly to an amplifier. The third setting is an ultra-high 10 meg ohm impedance that is specifically designed for piezo transducers, helping compensate for the harsh or squawky tone that can occur when a piezo is connected to a lower impedance input.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

John and Philip,

I was not intending to come across or to be "rude or obnoxious", 1) as I stated, "I was looking for both a 'non-invasive' and rather unobtrusive pickup system for both guitars", and 2) ..."me thinks", that after all these years of using piezo's, that someone would have come up with the "ways-and-means" of correcting the output of a piezo?

That is it! And apparently I was completely-and-utterly wrong in my assumption!

Thus, please forgive me for this assumption!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    John and Philip,

I was not intending to come across or to be "rude or obnoxious", 1) as I stated, "I was looking for both a 'non-invasive' and rather unobtrusive pickup system for both guitars", and 2) ..."me thinks", that after all these years of using piezo's, that someone would have come up with the "ways-and-means" of correcting the output of a piezo?

1. I didn't take your question as being rude or obnoxious and 2. They have, thats why they make DI's specifically for Piezo pickups.

I'm I correct that your connecting the pickup directly to your rig or using a non-piezo DI?

The harsh or squawky tone your referring to is impacted by the input impedance of the device your connecting the pickup to, which is why Piezo DI's have extremely high input impedance.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 12-31-2023 at 09:50 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

I did not manage to cure a piezo connected to a standard passive DI using EQ or FX on the desk (But I very seldom had to mix an acoustic guitar with steel-strings with just a piezo without electronics, in most cases other instruments like mandolins or violines). The 'special' sound is created by a resonance inside the piezo cristal and its frequency and Q depends on the external load. So for a pure piezo pickup go for an input impedance as high as possible. In the mix, the only possible cure I can think of would be some kind of dynamic Eq. But you'd to re-adjust it any time the load of the pick-up will change ( other DI, longer / shorter / other cable between guitar and Di .... ). I think that's why the most piezos come with some electonics to make the sound independet from the input it will be connected to.
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

hi, firs happy new year
    second, have a look at the '' Stageman floor by Nux, an accoustic preamp.
    I don't know if it can help you, but it's the only thing I can do

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    John and Philip,

I took no offense, Dell. I was just surprised that you went away from those gorgeous-sounding ones you had found.