Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Exclamation Re: SAWStudio, Crossover, and MacBook Pro M1

In my experience with Parallels you have to be careful, it is stable but Windows can become unusable when making configuration changes or installing an application.

Although it works well, it is highly recommended to clone the Windows installation from the Parallels configurations: A backup copy for when changes are made.

Default Re: SAWStudio, Crossover, and MacBook Pro M1

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Parallels 13? are you sure. They are on release 19 and I don't believe anything older than 17 or 18 would even install on an Arm-based Mac.

Your interface needs to be plugged in after your VM is launched so that it can be attached directly to the VM. (there are options in parallels to make that connection the default after the first time it has be associated with the windows VM)

The ASIO drivers would need to be installed on windows, they will not be passed through the Mac OS.

Meaning you would need to install the MOTU audio software in Windows.

ASIO drivers are generally going to be both more flexible and robust than the WDM drivers (which doesn't mean the WDM driver won't work - clearly it does)
    Yeah... I got the version wrong...it was the latest for ARM Macs. I did install the MOTU drivers for both interfaces, did the whole start Parallels, plug in interface... it asks what system should use this, I say Windows, but still no show in Saw for the ASIO version.
    I'm not the only one with this problem, on their forum there seems to be the same issue with USB and audio interfaces. I'm in between projects, so I'm just fooling around. It is cool to see Saw on my Apple Cinema Display!!
    I've got some time tonite to fool around with it one more time....
    Last edited by richswit; 01-04-2024 at 06:45 AM.

looks like this maybe a win11/parallels specific issue. Not 100% sure if win10 would work or not, as the references didn't address that specifically, just that win10 was working (But it didn't indicate if it was working under parallels on an apple silicon device).
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

I have had luck using Fusion in place of parallels.

Bob L

Dumb question. Have you had SAW successfully "see" ASIO drivers in the past (under pure Windows)? This is my way of asking if you're familiar with setting up an ASIO device in SAW. It's a little different than accessing MME or WDM drivers.

I know you've been around here for ages, so I suspect you know what you're doing.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Dumb question. Have you had SAW successfully "see" ASIO drivers in the past (under pure Windows)? This is my way of asking if you're familiar with setting up an ASIO device in SAW. It's a little different than accessing MME or WDM drivers.

I know you've been around here for ages, so I suspect you know what you're doing.
    Ages! Really David??!!

Yes, I'm old.....and yes, I have a windows machine fully working for years with SAW. and a RME card..I just recently mixed a couple projects in SS, and always find certain things about mixing in SS just easier. Automation.
    Build mix and Studio Levelizer, etc. I'll do a mix in say, Digital Performer/Logic, then mix in SS, and always find the SS mix sounds warmer, and just all around better. And that's having my wife play the different mixes without me knowing, I always pick the SAWSTUDIO mix.

Last night, under Parallels, I download the MOTU Ultralite AVB windows driver, and under Parallels, it saw the interface, and even opened up the MOTU Discovery app. But....that interface still won't show up in the Windows sound choices. It did, however, in Sawstudio, allow me to choose the ASIO MOTU PRO driver, but in the configure audio output menu, there are no ins and outs to be had!!

One final note on this running Windows on a Mac...I have an old Mac Pro with Bootcamp and Windows 7 running Sawstudio also...though I can't get the Windows 7 drivers for my MOTU interfaces any longer. I've run out of interfaces to try...I do have a thunderbolt Apollo x4, which I know ain't gonna work in any of these scenarios! (I should try it)
    Finally, I have a Radar 24 with Nyquist converters for times we record live drums....I'll then bring those into DAW of choice.
    Saw64, SAC64 DP, Live, Cubase, Logic Pro and LUNA
    http://www.jillandrich.net

from the digging I've done on this over the last couple of days, its specifically an Apple Silicon/Arm processor vs intel issue.

You have to install win10/win11 Arm on the virtual machine (doesn't matter if its Parallels, Fusion, etc) and there aren't native win10/11 arm audio drivers other than the WDM driver built into the ARM win11 OS.

There is an emulator built into the win10/win11 ARM OS that will run x86 code but it doesn't seem to be able to handle the low-level 3rd party audio drivers.

The MOTU drivers along with apparently everybody else's are all still x86 code and clearly not working under virtualization.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 01-04-2024 at 11:20 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    from the digging I've done on this over the last couple of days, its specifically an Apple Silicon/Arm processor vs intel issue.

You have to install win10/win11 Arm on the virtual machine (doesn't matter if its Parallels, Fusion, etc) and there aren't native win10/11 arm audio drivers other than the WDM driver built into the ARM win11 OS.

There is an emulator built into the win10/win11 ARM OS that will run x86 code but it doesn't seem to be able to handle the low-level 3rd party audio drivers.

The MOTU drivers along with apparently everybody else's are all still x86 code and clearly not working under virtualization.
    there ya go….appreciate the time, effort and information,
    Saw64, SAC64 DP, Live, Cubase, Logic Pro and LUNA
    http://www.jillandrich.net