Close

Default AI Comes For Music Performance

Listen to this song, and then go back and read the article (second link)

https://soundcloud.com/rs-539916550/...of-the-machine

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ic-1234982307/

I think this is amazing because of the nuances. The period the 'guitar' is from (that swallowed up, untuned box, tone fighting itself effect). The geographic location and ethnic origin of the voice. And, of course, the apparent emotional content of the voice. That last is the one that I would not have thought possible until today.

I doubt that Suno can do that with every style. Yet. Or, at least... I hope it can't. And I doubt it 'understands' the emotional messaging it has produced here. This is probably still a one off and it was just lucky to pull this off this time. But still... The average person couldn't reliably emote like that to save their lives.

Blog Entries

Default Re: AI Comes For Music Performance

The song has no soul, AI is just humans using a machine and a machine does not do anything without a human, the hell with AI I do not care about it and never will because I am human and not a machine.

Default Re: AI Comes For Music Performance

If I didn't know better, I would have been fooled (or - at least until I heard the lyrics). Someday soon there may be entire channels of AI-generated content competing with human-generated. The channel might not even bother to record the results - just produce it spontaneously in realtime, 24/7. Will the average listener be able to tell the difference? Part of the appeal might be that the gems amongst them will only ever be hearable once. Or, if not that, then be tasked with producing all the music for all the movies, commercials, and jingles. Musicians will shortly be using it to write music for themselves that they will then 'cover' and call their own. Why hire a DJ? It will change everything in the music business, I think - although there might always be a place for a live band.

I predict a court fight over what Suno was trained on without special permission. Right now the company refuses to reveal that. But, of course, Suno isn't available to the public yet either.