Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default GOTCHA!- Disable [Ctrl-Left-Clicking] on any track number arranges all tracks

from the manual:

"MultiTrack WaveForm Display Area
    Track Positioning
    [Ctrl-Left-Clicking] on any track number automatically arranges all tracks in numerical order."

Has bitten me in the backside again today...arrraugh!
    We need to be able to either undo or disable this command
    I would happily disable it; I would never use it

so much of moving things vertically in SAW is using the ctrl key;
    and this gotcha can sting if your track order is not at all sequential

afaiaa there is no undo for this and is gonna cost me a few minutes to get my job back in editable order
    I have my returns and buses at the top; video and control track too
    Mix template gets me part way there
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

Default Re: GOTCHA!- Disable [Ctrl-Left-Clicking] on any track number arranges all tracks

OK. I had not saved the edl after accidentally hitting the GOTCHA key combo

closed and reopened the edl and all is back as I need it to be...phew

btw I save safety copies very often as I work...so there is that possibility in the event others step in the same trap

Default Re: GOTCHA!- Disable [Ctrl-Left-Clicking] on any track number arranges all tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    OK. I had not saved the edl after accidentally hitting the GOTCHA key combo

closed and reopened the edl and all is back as I need it to be...phew

btw I save safety copies very often as I work...so there is that possibility in the event others step in the same trap
    hi, have you try the undo key : shift <

Resetting Track Order creates and undo entry... simply use the Edit/Undo function if you reset the track order by accident.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Resetting Track Order creates and undo entry... simply use the Edit/Undo function if you reset the track order by accident.

Bob L
    hmmm, I did look and did try undo
    I did not see an entry nor did the undo function when I tried it

Quote Originally Posted by ivanoff View Post
    hi, have you try the undo key : shift <
    on my machine undo key command is:
    ctrl+<

I did try it...did not work
    also opened Edit menu > Display EDL Undo History
    in the undo list dialog box there was no entry for "arrange track order to default"
    I don't know what the actual syntax is because it wasn't listed

I just tried opening a session, rearranging track order, saving session and then using ctrl + < and it worked.
    Also the undo history shows an entry for "before re-order tracks".
    was also able to ctrl + > to restore the rearranged tracks.

Not sure why yours isn't working at the moment.

When in doubt that an undo has been created, there's always the numberpad * keystroke to force an undo, assuming your keyboard has a numpad, or equivalent that SAW responds to for that purpose.
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 03-21-2024 at 08:28 AM.

Oups, mistake in my reply , ctrl + > is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    on my machine undo key command is:
    ctrl+<

I did try it...did not work
    also opened Edit menu > Display EDL Undo History
    in the undo list dialog box there was no entry for "arrange track order to default"
    I don't know what the actual syntax is because it wasn't listed
    I bet your one time of trying it (the undo) you goofed, somehow. I bet if you try it right now, it will work fine. Cuz that's how it works.

It was an issue when the restore-tracks-to-default-order feature was first implemented. Many user mishaps such as the one you experienced soon had Bob remedying this all-too-common user error by adding the undo layer.

It still catches me to this day.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I bet your one time of trying it (the undo) you goofed, somehow.
    uh...I don't think I did goofed pressing ctrl<
    ...I use SAW A LOT...you know, like a day job in post ;-P

as I said previously, sometimes SAW gets flakey IME
    I find it wise to shut SAW down if I leave my workstation for more than 30 min

I also have daily crashes...typically one only per day; which is one more than I'm comfortable with
    ...and ONLY using SAW...maybe it's just using SAW is my main computer usage...
    so the crash happens regardless
    and just so happens SAW is running...as it's my most oft used program

The daily crash is an issue with APC PowerChute...the previous offline version would crash daily around 2100
    and now the latest online APC PowerChute Serial also seems to crash daily
    seems to be a UPS "health" check which says "cannot connect to APC UPS" or some syntax to that effect
    creates a BSOD

I did save an EDL last week when this happened when I noticed my mouse freeze
    and that save corrupted my EDL. Fortunately, I always save a safety version which
    saved my backside. I should think a SAW undo file would work too.