Close

Default Can't add VST's to certain EDL's

Long time SawStudio (32 bit) user here. I recently updated my recording rig to an i9 14900K CPU, Z790 based MoBo, DDR5 RAM, and 2 NVMe PCIe4 drives. Re-installed everything, including SAW and VST plugs, and copied all data to the new drives. After doing all this, everything seemed to work fine - all plugs worked (in a new session) and I could record at 96KHz without any issues, even with 16 tracks at once, and play all my previous EDL's.

Except - there are 3 EDL's that I had been recently working on before the upgrade that will play fine, and edit in SAW no problem, but I cannot open or add any VST's to. If I try to open one of the VST's to edit it, either I get a blank window, or SAWStudio crashes and disappears (depending on the plugin - always consistent). If I try to add a VST, I always get a message "Trouble Loading Plugin!". I can remove the plugins though. But even if I remove them all from the EDL, save, then restart, I still can't add any VST's. SAWStudio plugins work fine - it's only VST's that have trouble. Also all other EDL's, even older ones, I can add and edit VST's with no trouble.

This is a new problem I have never seen before. Can anyone give me any idea what it might be caused by, and even better, what can be done about it? I checked Windows file permissions and they seem OK (same on EDL's that work and ones that don't), and I dug up an old 'SS EDL Investigator' program to look at the EDL, but it doesn't seem to show anything about plugins - does the EDL store that info? I fear there is corruption of the EDL...

Regards,

Dave McKenna

Default Re: Can't add VST's to certain EDL's

I had similar problems on my last rebuild. I initially had several issues. I had just copied my old sawstudio directory to the new machine which had many issues. I renamed the saw directory, then did a fresh install of studio all plugins that I could then just copied just the edls and audio in, that fixed most of it - I had a couple of other vsts that needed a specific cpp redistributable. I forget how I tracked it down. it must have been nearly 2 years ago and I had a thread about it. I'll see if I can find when I bought the machine.

Blog Entries

Dave,

Would love to help, but more data is required!

What plug-in(s) are we referring to?

Have your tried to create a new session to observe if the plug-in load as expected?
    * If the plug-in does not operate as expected, this could be an "anomaly" that I have experienced with JUCE-based plug-ins.
    * From what I have been able to ascertain, this
    anomaly occurs as the result of the the plug-in attempting to load a corrupted preset.
    * The "resolve" here is to backup-then-remove any user-created presets and the to observe what transpires.

Anyhow, let me know what are the results with the above?

All my VST plugins - (pushing 150). If I start a new session, they all work normally. It is only the 3 sessions mentioned that I have any trouble, and those will play correctly, but I can't edit any VST plugins or add any. I can remove them though, but it doesn't help - still can't add any back. I'll look for presets and move them out of the way and see if that does anything - thanks for the tip.

I did do complete installs of SAW and plugins with the new system (and all software). Only the recorded tracks and EDL's were copied to the new computer (cloned from a 2TB SSD to a 2TB NVMe drive). The majority (~50) of old copied sessions work fine - it is only 3 that have this weird problem.

Regards,

Dave McKenna

Blog Entries

Dave,

I guess yo could check of r file permissions, and so on.
    * If so, "take ownership" of the folder where the .edls reside?

Also, are you employing the same username?

May I ask what OS?

You could try the following tedious processes,
    rename one of the trouble edls
    remove all the vsts - save it, open it, then see if it behaves normally.
    If so on another copy, repeat it - but only remove a few at a time until you identify the vsts that are giving you trouble.

If the plugins have gone through an upgrade, they may have a different dependency, config, or path saved into the edl fx data?

Hey Guys - I figured it out...

I had 'Use Region Memory Caching' turned on. Turning it off, everything works again. In hindsight, it makes sense. New sessions have no (or few) regions, so not much memory is used by regions and the VST's have memory to spare (in a 32 bit memory space = <4GB). My old sessions had been trimmed, so only final regions were loaded in memory, so still enough for a bunch of VST's. The 3 recent sessions still had all the takes for all the tracks plus a bunch of SAW and VST plugs, so memory was exhausted (for a 32 bit program). I'll leave region caching off in 32 bit SAWStudio. With this new faster computer, probably not needed anyway.

I do have the 64 bit version (and my new computer has 128GB RAM), but am so used to the 32 bit SAW plugs that won't work there and I won't yet give them up. Sure wish there was a bridger for the 32 bit SAW plugs in the 64 bit version <sigh>.

Thanks for your consideration!

Regards,

Dave McKenna

Hi, Jbridger.

JBridger... really? I have and use JBridger, it works well, but I thought it was only for VST's. Have you been able to use SAW 32 bit plugins using it with the 64 bit version of SAWStudio? That would be fantastic! Any tips on using it for SAW plugs?

Regards,

Dave McKenna

oh sorry, don't realize you 're talking about SAW plugin. You have to upgrade them.