Close

Default Does 'Tick Resolution' have any function besides interacting with midi?

jmh

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does 'Tick Resolution' have any function besides interacting with midi?

jmh,

Someone else will have to chime-in here, but these settings have nothing at all to do with MIDI and would therefore, pertain to audio-related data.

Default Re: Does 'Tick Resolution' have any function besides interacting with midi?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    jmh,

Someone else will have to chime-in here, but these settings have nothing at all to do with MIDI and would therefore, pertain to audio-related data.
    Sorry to differ with you on this one, but the very first time I was introduced to the notion of tick resolution it was in reference to MIDI - here's a Cakewalk page that mentions it, in fact.
    https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Document...ording.08.html

I don't have any in depth knowledge of MIDI and rarely use it, but I'm sure you would grasp its use in this respect much more than I.
    Beyond that, I don't know what "these settings" you refer to pertain to. So sorry if I've missed the elephant in the room of the op's question.
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 04-16-2024 at 09:38 PM.

Hope I'm on-target with the thrust of the inquiry, here.

Tick resolution is simply the number of subdivisions within a beat in Tempo Mode, no? And your MIDI note or datum of whatever sort, once recorded or placed, will be quantized/located to/on one of those subdivisions.

Have I missed the point, yet?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Hope I'm on-target with the thrust of the inquiry, here.

Tick resolution is simply the number of subdivisions within a beat in Tempo Mode, no? And your MIDI note or datum of whatever sort, once recorded or placed, will be quantized/located to/on one of those subdivisions.

Have I missed the point, yet?
    No 'subdivisions within a beat in Tempo Mode' is specifically the regard of my question - and if this is the same setting also impacts MIDI transmission in any way.

I see no setting in MWS for tick resolution, so I have to assume it takes that directly from the setting in SAW.

I didn't even know you could change that! I thought 480 was it!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

There are a couple possible places that may impact this - or the might propagate to MWS rather than influence things in studio (as in not impacting any midi messaging on the control track). I don't do midi enough to know if there is quantization in saw, other than that Bob tends to hit the features that people expect.

The possibilities I know of is the initial 'tempo-settings->tick-resolution' that you mentioned that changes the timeline readout fraction.
    If you are in tempo-mode, and click the BPM boiler plate under the time display to change the resolution of the grid - maybe the the midi tick resolution changes so it is always divisible by the chosen fraction.