Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default kontakt? triton?? question on strings and backing instumentation

Hi

For the longest time i used my triton pro for everything other than my vocals or my acoustic and electric guitars.

mostly i used it for drums, bass, strings, effects etc.

however way back in the cubase days i got a taste of reason and that software world

what i am wondering after listening to the wonderful sounds of garritan etc, is what is kontakt exactly?? do most of you buy sounds and somehow use something like the triton to play these sounds??

the triton sounds for me have sort of sterilized at this point but i know it is still apowerful tool. however can i get better bass guitar sounds or string sounds ot sound effects from libraries?? and if so, how do i use them and play them??

you can tell i am pretty old school, and also anovice. i basically have an instrument and play it and that is it.

anyway i am intrigued with what is out there that i may not know about int terms of my bass guitar, strings, effects, etc etc??

thanks

Default Re: kontakt? triton?? question on strings and backing instumentation

hi trock.

kontakt is a sampler. there is a variety of sample formats it can play.

you can play samples from any midi instrument.

so, let's say you have a set of beautiful violins, long note, in a giga sample format on your computer. drop the samples in kontakt and you should hear a violin that is superior to many hardware synths.

there is a huge library of high quality samples available. you can easily spend a small fortune collecting them.

this could be a very long discussion. good luck!

oh yeah, i like reason. it is a sampler and more. but........it can only play refills, which are reason proprietary samples. it also has drum machines, fx, mastering suite, etc.

the samples are probably not to the standard of giga and a few other "high end" samples but it is very cool and super simple to use.

check out the demo it is a great intro to the world you're thinking about!

Kontakts sample engine is the most advanced out there right now by leaps and bounds. Giga next in line...

I cant really say much for reason's horrible sample engine (nasty aliasing and timing issues), or it's lackluster effects.. but it sure is more fun and immediate to use!
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

5. Default Re: kontakt? triton?? question on strings and backing instumentation

Quote Originally Posted by trock
    *snip*.........the triton sounds for me have sort of sterilized at this point but i know it is still apowerful tool. however can i get better bass guitar sounds or string sounds ot sound effects from libraries?? and if so, how do i use them and play them??

you can tell i am pretty old school, and also anovice. i basically have an instrument and play it and that is it.....*snip*
    The Triton series is a very powerful instrument. I spent time learning how to edit the samples, programs, combi's, and multi's to get the sounds I'm looking for. This leads to in depth study of how intruments generate thier sound. Then matching that knowledge with the names of the settings on the triton.
    Of course for me this effort is part of the joy of music. There's alot to be said for starting with excellent samples. But I believe that just launching and playing someone elses samples is just a beginning to expanding on those sounds by personalizing settings to suit ones own artistry.
    Just my 2c
    Kent
    Chicks Rule. . .

Also, you can try use soundfonts if you haven't. You can find free players & free soundbanks all over (of courser, you can also find paid ones)

It's in a lower league quality wise, but if you can try it for free...
    Figuring out how the House M.D. character was developed.
    Macarena Ain't Noise Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by AudioAstronomer
    Kontakts sample engine is the most advanced out there right now by leaps and bounds. Giga next in line...
    Really, Robert? You find Kontakt superior to Giga? Do you own both?

I have Giga 2 (and Kompakt with EWQLSO Plat/Gold). Considered uping to Kontakt (as well as to Giga 3). Any words of wisdom?

TIA,
    John Hernandez
    Blazing Hammer Productions
    --
    "Is not My word like fire? And like a hammer which shatters a rock?" - Jeremiah 23:29

Quote Originally Posted by AudioAstronomer
    Kontakts sample engine is the most advanced out there right now by leaps and bounds.
    Anyone here tried Motu's Mach 5? Just curious.

Thx.
    Todd Vermeulen
    Base 1 Studio
    The XL's Band

Everyone knows I'm Kontakt exclusive - I own a few of the other samplers (HALion3, GigaStudio3) but only for testing conversions of my libraries. I do all my developing and programming in Kontakt.

John, if you are interested - I did a short review of Kontakt 2 for the online magazine SonicControl, you can read it here: http://www.soniccontrol.com/kontakt/
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Sample Library Producer | Project Consultant

"There's simply too many notes..."

thansk all for the replies

i am seriously considering kontakt at this point and maybe garritan to start off

thanks for the heads up and the info!