Close

1. Default What's going rate 4 producing Karaoke tracks for a large company?

Hi

I've been offered some freelance work producing Karaoke tracks for a company down here in Australia.

I've not done this work for a company before. They're keen, but keep asking me what I want to charge per track.

These tracks are required to be fully produced to a high level (I get them as close as possible to the original), with backing vocals, and post-mastered finished product quality. I don't think I'm required to add the cdg part, just supply the music.

It takes me about two-three days to complete each track.

Is anyone able to tell me what the going rate per track is for this kind of work (please say what currency you are referring to)?

I just want to make sure that I'm not gonna get shafted, because they probably realise that I'm green.

Thanks!

Shaun Thomson

Default Re: What's going rate 4 producing Karaoke tracks for a large company?

I know your client wants a rate per track, but I'm not sure that's realistic. Others may chime in to say that a rate per track is the standard for this kind of work, and you make money on the singer with an acoustic guitar songs, and lose your shirt on the big production numbers. For your sake, I hope not. If possible, I would stick with hourly rates. Do you have some idea about what other studios in your area charge? How does your operation fit into the local market? Are you paying rent for studio space or working in your house? Do you have comfy client furniture and lots of trendy food and drink? You may want to give them a slightly lower rate because of the volume of work. You may want to lower it further because you're new to the business, but if they don't know you're green, you don't have to tell them. Make sure you're still making a profit. Don't forget that they want you, right? And they're going to turn around and make a mint with your beautiful tracks.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

3. Default Re: What's going rate 4 producing Karaoke tracks for a large company?

Thanks for your reply.

The client doesn't know anything about me - I just sent them an mp3, and they replied saying that was the standard they're after, and how much per track?

I'm just working form a home officec studio, but the tracks sound real and big enough that they could have been recorded elsewhere - I'm a bit picky when it comes to the quality of my backings.

I just need to get an insight into how much they would expect to pay for something that is well produced.

It takes me 2-3 days per song, but if they thought that was in a commercial studio, what would they expect to pay for that?

THANKS!

Shaun

Default Re: What's going rate 4 producing Karaoke tracks for a large company?

Depends on what kind of agreement these guys are after. They might ask for per song quote now while they are checking you out, but ultimately they'll probably want a package at a "good" price. In other words, they'll see you as a musical sausage factory.

Talk with Arts Law 1800 221 457 or call your local APRA person. Either one could point you in the right direction - at very least suggesting ways to negotiate the contract to sheild yourself from the nasties and actually get something out of it.

Also find out as much as you can about the client. If the relationship hits off there might be some other goodies around the corner.

Andre