Close

1. Default Applying a permanent effect to a region?

Hi

I'm now experimenting with time correcting different regions. For example, if you're working on a bass track, and the bass player has come in a little late on a note, I would normally separate that note, drag is back to where it should have started, and then time stretch the note so that the end connects back up with the next note.

How would I do this in SAW? I would rather not use varispeed for this tpye of function, since it alters the pitch. How do I apply a time correction permanently to the region?

Thanks!

Shaun

Default Re: Applying a permanent effect to a region?

In most cases, you can simply split the region at the next note and slide the first note in place... forget about time stretching it... simply softedge the ends, and leave the slight gap.

Or, if you must fill the gap, you can duplicate a small piece of the sustain to fill the gap and again adjust the softedges on the splice points... works most times very smoothly, and the artifacts are a lot less or non-existent compared to most time stretch artifacts, at least in my opinion.

Bob L

There's a very useful feature in SS which allows you to split and stretch regions.
    f you need to extend a bass note, first get a workspace view that allows you to see just one large track of the MT view. Then zoom right in and split the region on a zero cross point. With the cursor slightly to the left of the split point use 'Alt Shift Drag' and drag the split point to the right (in effect, stretching the region) to another identical zero cross point.
    Result? An extended bass note with no artifacts. If you're accurate enough, you'll never hear the join. But, as Bob has said, if you apply a small amount of soft edge over the splice, any glitch due to slight mismatch of the adjoining waveforms will disappear. . . magic

Nicely explained Les.

Bob L

Beyond that, there are rumors of a time compression plugin that should do exactly what you want in the future.

MM
    Michael McInnis Productions