Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Monitorz

Default OT: Monitorz

Hey All -

I have about run the usefulness of my present studio monitors. I'm working in a small space and am looking at the A.D.A.M P11 active nearfields. Anyone have any experience?

Gary Edelburg
    Electric Shadow Productions

Default Re: OT: Monitorz

I have a pair, and i like them. They are very detailed.

But right now i mainly use a pair of dynaudio M1 with a sub.

Cause as with all small nearfields, i think it´s hard to mix the low freq stuff. so i just got used to mix with a sub.

I prefer the sound of them when working less then 4 hours, but they are a little harder on my ears than the dynaudio when i work all day.

I'm not familiar with the A.D.A.M. line, but you might want to check out Blue Sky 2.1 systems. I'm very happy with their larger 5.1 system, and they make smaller systems specifically for small rooms or desktop setups. Great crossovers and no hype. Skywalker Ranch uses about 50 sets, so they're doing something right.

When you say "a small room" those are loaded words. I do not know what it is that you feel no longer works for you about your current monitors, but if your difficulties are primarily in the low end your room is at least as important a factor as your speakers. The best speakers in the world will not overcome a bad control room, and this is true even for "nearfield" monitoring.

There is a fair amount of good information available about "treating" an existing room. I suggest you look at more than one source, and particularly that you consider good bass trapping for "tame" the response of the room below about 300 Hz. The smaller the room is, the more difficult this will be, and if you have a choice you want to try for a room at least 1500 cubic feet in size. F. Alton Everest has done some pretty good writing in this area, particularly his "Master Handbook Of Acoustics".

Accurate speakers are important, but so is an "accurate" room. Without both you may never be quite satisfied.

BTW, I have heard the Blue Sky 5.1 setup, and its sound came remarkably close to that of a good pair of Genelec monitors. If I were buying, these would definitely be "in the running" among my choices.
    Last edited by Cary B. Cornett; 09-03-2005 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett
    When you say "a small room" those are loaded words.

Yes they are. I have treated the room as well as I can without building from the ground up. I thought about the Blue Sky system. Another good choice. I have heard the monitors that have been suggested except the A.D.A.M's. I'm still curious. Thanks for the input.

Gary Edelburg

I would not personally put any of the ADAM line in a "small room". I would suggest the blue skies over the ADAM's in that case. I have a semi large control room, and the s3a's were too big for even me to deal with on a daily basis... I can only imagine the smallest of the line being around top end of the scale for a medium sizes room.

I think sticking with something along the lines of truth audio (not behringer truth) would be premium for what I can imagine your situation being. Stick with something smaller than you think you need and you will be much happier in the long run. A few 1000$ is not something you want to use to "learn by experience", let some of us dummies (well not everyone here lol) make those mistakes for you
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

7. Default Re: OT: Monitorz

Quote Originally Posted by AudioAstronomer
    I would not personally put any of the ADAM line in a "small room". I would suggest the blue skies over the ADAM's in that case. I have a semi large control room, and the s3a's were too big for even me to deal with on a daily basis... I can only imagine the smallest of the line being around top end of the scale for a medium sizes room.
    What problems did you have with the s3a's? Too big in what way?

Thanks.

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    What problems did you have with the s3a's? Too big in what way?

Thanks.

Lance
    They just didnt work well with the new room, something about them in this particular room just made everything sound heavy and over-hyped. Ive heard the s3a's in another room that sounded very similiar, and yet again in a much bigger control room and they were sweet as pie in that one.
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

9. Default Re: OT: Monitorz

Interesting. Thanks.

BTW, do you, or does anybody here have any experience with the dynaudioacoustics monitors?

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    Interesting. Thanks.

BTW, do you, or does anybody here have any experience with the dynaudioacoustics monitors?

Lance
    A friend of mine here has a pair of Dynaudios in his studio and he loves them. He's the head of the Pro Audio dept at a major music store here as well and was able to audition a lot of speakers in depth and chose these... though I know the ADAM speakers weren't on the market at the time he got them.

I'm not familiar enough with the model numbers to say what they are without checking.. they're what I'd call mid to large size.... bigger than most popular "nearfields".

I've heard them and like them, though since I wan't in the market for speakers I didn't pay that much attention in particular to them. But, from what I heard, *if* I were in the market I'd definitely want to audition these in more depth before making a decision.

One other thing that I like about Dynaudio is that they have a top end hi-fi line of speakers as well ( with I believe models up to the $60,000 range) and have won big awards for these. They're what I consider to be "serious" speaker builders... but that's not to say that any of the other maufacturers aren't "serious" of course!

Perry
    Last edited by Perry; 09-05-2005 at 09:30 PM.