Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: L/R Master Outs

Default L/R Master Outs

Hi All -

I'm trying to define separate L/R master outputs in SS so that I may process them individually during mixdown. I want to put a saturation plugin (mono) on each output buss. Anyone done this? Also, any reccomendations for plugins. I'vee seen the McDSP AC-1 for PTools in action. I don't think it works in SawStudio.

Gary Edelburg
    Electric Shadow Productions

Default Re: L/R Master Outs

Gary,

You can pan all signals to the left for one bus mix and to the right for the second bus mix... that separates the mixes and gives you two monos... or simply use out 1 and out 2 with the mono buttons pushed on the outputs and assign the channels appropriately.

Bob L

Bob -

I'm a bit confused. I have Out Assign 5 on each Input track highlighted. Output track 5 has Out Assign 5 selected. This feeds my Rosetta 200 via HDSP ADAT2 [1+2] Wave Device Out 05. Where from here?

Gary

Gary -
    While I think digital "saturation" emulating plugins can work really well for individual tracks - I have never heard a single one put across the output bussthat sounds as good as things sound when this kind of stuff is simply left off. ommv.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Processing the left and right signals differently would require a plugin that allows separation of the left and right channel controls.

Or... use 2 out busses on all your asigns, then patch the same plugin on both out busses and process the buildmix... at this point you will create 2 separate mix files... which you then would probably want to re-combine back together in a new edl... use two tracks... one for each file... panned left and right... then build the mix to combine.

Never had any real call to do this kind of separate proccessing... might be a use for a splitter plugin that could split the signals and offer anoth patch point on each side... I'll look into it.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSonic
    Gary -
    I have never heard a single one put across the output bussthat sounds as good as things sound when this kind of stuff is simply left off. ommv.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson
    To be honest . . . I picked up the "Mix it Like a Record" DVD and Charles Dye puts a mono SSL Analog Distortion plugin on the master left and right outs of his PTools setup. The idea is to add SSL modeling distortion with a subtle difference for left and right. It sounds great so I thought I might try it.

Gary Edelburg

Well... ok then... Good Luck With That.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L
    Well... ok then... Good Luck With That.

Bob L
    I just missed 30 minutes of one of my favorite shows tearing up with laughter from this thread.

Nothing from anyone in particular, just reminds me of something that's funny
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    I picked up the "Mix it Like a Record"
    how is that dvd, is it worth it? i know that's a vague question, but you know what i mean, can you elaborate a little bit?

thanks,
    tony

Quote Originally Posted by AudioAstronomer
    I just missed 30 minutes of one of my favorite shows tearing up with laughter from this thread.

Nothing from anyone in particular, just reminds me of something that's funny
    Not having much experience as a studio engineer, I'm sure some scenarios posted will evoke a huge chuckle. That's cool. Sorry for being ignorant in public.

Gary Edelburg
    Electric Shadow Productions