Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hey Bob, I think I tracked down the source of my problems!!!

After tracking the last week, with a lot of "what the hell?" and "this just ain't right." I think I've found out what's causing me so much grief.

You see, I've been tracking since march (or sometime around then) with SawStudio Basic.... with no problems at all. However, a couple of weeks ago, I upgraded to SawStudio Lite... mostly for mixing purposes. However, I have tried some tracking with SSL, and that's where I've run into problems, including tonight's special: The punch-out crash!

Here's the deal: We were tracking some bass lines, and we wanted to tighten up a few spots. As you'll recall, I was using the latch to keep SSL from crashing during punch ins over existing material.... however,that was on drum tracks, and we weren't punching out over anything. The punches would be the new end of the song.
    Tonight, though, we were doing fix-ups, and every time we'd try to punch-out over a few bars, SSL would hang. I tracked that one down to "auto record softedge." I turned that off, and lo and behold, it worked like a charm.

Now, after the band left, I did a little experimenation, and here's what I came up with: I pulled up SSB, and tried the same scenarios. No problems whatsoever. Even with auto-record softedge engaged, and the latch disengaged, SSB ran rock solid. Even with two Delta cards.
    The stereo punch in phase issue I had brought up in an earlier post (under "possible bug") is still present but nowhere nearly as pronounced.

This leads me to ask the question, what exactly kind of system requirments differ from SSB to SSL? Do you think it could be a RAM issue? I'm runing 1 gig right now, but with it being so cheap, I could certainly add more. I'm running a 2.8 ghz P4, so I don't think it's a processor issue. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    -0z-
    Glenn "Oz" Fricker
    Spectre Sound Studios
    www.spectresound.ca

Need crushing guitar tone? Contact me about reamping!

Default Re: Hey Bob, I think I tracked down the source of my problems!!!

Well, I just tried out another idea, and I seem to have got regained my stability, even in SSL. I went through the "what do I have set different between programs" routine, and here's what I came up with : "Use Region Memory Caching" was engaged in SSL. I unclicked it, and bingo! No more crashing! I tried a few torture tests, and SSL worked rock solid. Very interesting.

However, the stereo vs. mono entries in the MT phase issue is still present.... at least I've got my system stable once again!

-0z-
    Glenn "Oz" Fricker
    Spectre Sound Studios
    www.spectresound.ca

Ok... good deal... you have more than enough ram with the 1 gig...

I will check into the recording punch out issue with Region Memory Caching ON... I hardly ever use that option when recording, so I have missed this bug if it is in fact connected.

I also did some stereo / mono testing... I am able to duplicate the problem when punching-in... using the latch or the Shift-SRP function everything is fine... there must be a calculation problem for the punch-in offset into the mono buffers compared to the stereo buffers... I am chasing it down tonight for the 3.8 update.

Thanks,

Bob L

Thanks for the info, Bob!!

BTW, I take back what I said about 2 Deltas and the disengaged latch. It only works some of the time I just spent the last 40 minutes or so REALLY putting SSL thru hell. It definitley likes 2 cards latched. Other than that, no more problems. I did 12 tracks over 2 cards, punched in & out like crazy, all while playing back a couple of music tracks... SSL ran great, with buffers set to 4X64 in & out.

-0z-
    Glenn "Oz" Fricker
    Spectre Sound Studios
    www.spectresound.ca

Ok, just for a laugh, I did my 12 track torture test set at 2X64 in & out, no problems at all.... I even ran a pair of Drumagogs on two monitored inputs. Still no problems. I am one happy guy!

-0z-
    Glenn "Oz" Fricker
    Spectre Sound Studios
    www.spectresound.ca

And we are Very happy for you!! Glad you persisted!!!
    Carey A. Langille
    Producer/Engineer
    Ocean Sound Productions
    www.oceansoundstudio.com
    Creativity at the Speed of Sound

Thanks Carey! I feel as though I've just got a tremendous weight off my shoulders!
    If it's one thing I learned WAAAAY back in my Vic20 days, it was how to squash bugs. Fortunatley, it's a skill that has remained with me. Process of elimination: it works every time.

Persistance & patience. That's the key.

-0z-
    Glenn "Oz" Fricker
    Spectre Sound Studios
    www.spectresound.ca

That was some serious detective work there, I'm glad that you've got your system stable again, a "Tremendous Weight" lifted indeed!

I was starting to worry that you'd be needing to replace your dual Delta 1010 setup! thankfully it's working for you now!
    Shawn...

Good bug chasing indeed... I did find a buried bug with the Region Memory caching and the combined options you were using... punching out with live inputs and so forth.

I have fixed the stereo / mono sync issue and I believe I have stabilized the Region Mem Caching for the punch outs also... all coming in 3.8.

Thanks for helping narrow down those two nasties.

Bob L

How dare you Bob, such bad service and customer support.

You just made him wait 6 hours (and you even waited until it was exactly 6 hours, see initial post in this thread and your post indicating the bug fix) until you fixed his reported bug(s)? and in the middle of the night?, out...rageous

You know I'm kidding, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L
    Good bug chasing indeed... I did find a buried bug with the Region Memory caching and the combined options you were using... punching out with live inputs and so forth.

I have fixed the stereo / mono sync issue and I believe I have stabilized the Region Mem Caching for the punch outs also... all coming in 3.8.

Thanks for helping narrow down those two nasties.

Bob L
    Figuring out how the House M.D. character was developed.
    Macarena Ain't Noise Pollution.