Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Duplication Denied

Bob,
    I wonder if there is a way that you could prevent (or allow it...but give warning) that TWO SawStudios instances are opening on the same machine....
    No big thing... just operator error.
    But it might save some headaches in duplication and messed up EDLs.
    Because right now it's possible to work on the same EDL with Two occurances of SAWSTUDIO open Simultaneously.... which can be very confusing.
    Carl
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Default Re: Duplication Denied

PLEASE!
    The ability to have multiple instances open at once is a MUST for the way I work sometimes!

I have requested before, and I think this could help alleviate operator error, that there be some identification available on the icons in the task bar... maybe by hovering the cursor over the icon to read the session title as it is in other apps.

A warning get's in the way and can be annoying, especially if it's necessary to click OK to get it to go away.

Sorry to disagree, but what a headache it could be to be limited to one instance of Saw at a time!

DanT

It would be simple to create an app which starts up SAWStudio and only allows a single instance... if you wanted this functionality you could run the startup app to start SAWStudio.... or not use it if you didn't.

Rail
    Platinum Samples
    www.platinumsamples.com
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I like and use the multiple instance feature many times for live show playback situations.

Use two different shades to keep from being confused by which one you are in.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L
    Yup. That's what I do too.

Shades are very helpful indeed.

Doesn't help much when they're minimized....

I like and use the multiple instance feature many times for live show playback situations.

Bob L
    Creative idea! I agree after hearing the responses... there are times it IS very nice to have two instances (and diff shades is a great idea!!)

I guess the only thing I thought is... I wish there was a way to know that I was running TWO instances *inadvertantly* (I like the way SS overtakes the taskbar function... so watching on the taskbar would not be the answer for me).
    Perhaps I should be less *Inadvertant*
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Bob L
    Tell me more....

Bill

I, too, often have multiple instances of SS open. Sometimes you're waiting on the answer to a client question, so you go on to another project for half an hour. Or someone will call and ask about an older job. I open it in a new SS instance, so I can quickly go back to what I was doing before the call.

It might be nice to consider a dialog box to prevent you from opening the SAME EDL in another instance.

Also, in a related thought, the Recent Session FileList seems to miss sessions now and then. For example:

Open SS and work on Session 1.
    Leave Session 1 open.
    Open another SS and work on Session 2.
    Save Session 2 and close that instance of SS.
    Continue working on Session 1.
    Save and close Session 1.
    Close SS.
    Open SS and click File|Recent Session FileList.
    Session 2 won't be on it.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

There is no provision for multiple instances to track sessions happening at the same time across instances... so the recent session list does not miss anything... it simply is not attempting to track across multiple instances.

If you want total independence between instances... simply install SAWStudio into a second folder... this will then keep complete independence between them... and the recent lists will reflect what goes on in each instance.

Bob L