Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default OT: No more DX support for UAD-1 Cards

UA just announced they are abandoning DX support for their plug ins in the next version.

Anyone got suggestions for a wrapper?

Regards,

MM
    Michael McInnis Productions

Default Re: OT: No more DX support for UAD-1 Cards

Quote Originally Posted by MMP
    UA just announced they are abandoning DX support for their plug ins in the next version.

Regards,

MM
    Well that really sucks because I find that it's the DX versions that work the best...

Quote Originally Posted by MMP

Regards,

MM
    oh gee! Another corporate entity making policy decisions that negatively impact their customer base. I have thought about getting a UAD-1 for quite a while. Maybe I'll put the idea on the back burner.

Yep... that sucks all right.

perry

Good going UA!

I guess they have a point though, saw is the ONLY application that doesnt support native vst latency compensation right now. Even sonar supports native vst without a wrapper now. The cheap n-track and tracktion do..

But who cares because... (read the signature)
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Well I just upgraded to Sound Forge 8.0 (mainly for the batch conversion feature) and it now has VST support - but I think the DX plugins work better than the VST stuff.
    I've never understood why there just can't be one standard for plugins and we could be done with all this compatability crap.
    VST - with the placing of DLL into folders is for the birds.
    I think I'll make a call to UA about their decision. Maybe it won't make a difference but they'll hear from some of us anyway.
    Just another reason why I still use my outboard gear more than plugins.

Not that I really care or it matter but, did they gave any reasoning behind this decision?
    Figuring out how the House M.D. character was developed.
    Macarena Ain't Noise Pollution.

agree about the standards thing. but i think it's a lot easier to put a dll into a folder than having dx stuff all intertwined in the registry. it's all bill gates fault, after all this time, he still doesn't recognize the pro audio industry. we've come a long way, but he hasn't, in that regard.

tony

Hi Tony,
    Oh I'm not saying that DX should be the standard but you would think that after all this time there would be a standard for plugins - it doesn't seem that difficult to do but then again we are dealing with computers & nerds...
    I do agree with you that the way DX weaves into the registry
    is a mess but for what ever reason DX plugins tend to operate better overall on my machine without all the latency issues.
    Bill Gates doesn't have a clue about what most of us do with his OS - just another out of touch billionare.
    That's why it would be nice if an audio/video guy would come up with an OS that would dedicate itself to music & video production - that way the only time I'd have to deal with Windows would be on my home computer - it's nice to dream isn't it?....

Since there is a TON of VST stuff out there for which there is no exact DX or SawNative equivalent, I really wish that we could have full support in SAW (please?) for automatic VST latency compensation (as it now does for DirectX).

Alternatively, I Bob is not willing to add that feature, perhaps someone (JMS, maybe?) could write a full VST wrapper for SawStudio that would provide the automatic latency compensation AND a "default generic" GUI for VST's that do not have their own GUI. If this could be implemented so that it would access "GUI-less" VST's from their own "segregated" directory, that would be even better!

VST plugins have the advantage of not (usually) requiring any registry-entry crap (a BIG advantage for, say, flash drive installations that can be taken to any computer). However, I found out the hard way that, for any plug that is available both as DX and VST, the DX version actually demands less of the system for video display than the VST does. I have had the experience of adjusting a control on a VST plug during playback stopping SAW, then trying that with the DX version of the same plug and finding that the system kept running just fine.

So, VST gives cleaner installs, but DX is better on display handling.

If all of the best plugin designs were available as Saw native versions, of course that would be my first choice.
    Last edited by Cary B. Cornett; 12-04-2005 at 09:36 AM. Reason: addition
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com