Close

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
  1. Default Re: OT: Bob, why are you using ADA8000s?

Haven't researched the ADA8000 preamps much yet. But I will be using Ribbon microphones along with condensor. So hopefully I can turn off the phantom power on the unit as well as it having enough gain to properly receive the ribbon mic signal.

I do think the live recording of that band with ADA8000's sounds pretty sweet.

James

Default Re: OT: Bob, why are you using ADA8000s?

Quote Originally Posted by chipwits
    Read about someone bypassing the preamp section of the ADA8000 and just using it for a ADC, running their own preamp into it. If the converters are good enough in the ADA8000 I might just use this unit with the mod. I intend one buying some Seventh Circle Audio preamp kits.
    I've looked at the Seventh Circle kits and think they're well done. I haven't heard any yet. Nice and easy to get started... Buy a chassis and two pres and add on as needed. Slick.

I find no reason to not use them... they give me an easy way to get 48 channels live from a stage snake without busting my budget.

They sound perfectly fine... if you want to do the mod and use external mic pres... go for it... I think you could simply plug in an external pre for its particular color anyway direct into the current line in.

Each feels differently about all this stuff... for me... I find the micing and mix techniques far outweigh any changes a mic pre can make in the overall scheme of things... but that is simply my opinion after almost 40 years as an active audio engineer / designer.

No right or wrong, simply your decision where you want to spend your money... 48 channels of Behringers for around $1500 or 2 or 8 channels of something else high-end for $6000- $8000... your choice... personally, I think your money can be better spent on a better computer setup and mics, and many other things... like even a vacation from all this craziness.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Good day,

WOW! Some great "Stuff" here...though some 18 years ago!!

First: "The ADA8000 is awesome... it is clean... no ground hum... no splatting when hit hard... etc... what else does it need to do... the fact that it is $230 for 8 channels is unbelievable... without a doubt, the best value on the market."
    * Appears to be true...even with the ADA8200's...and even today!

Second: "I use my ears... I experiment with what I can afford... then make music."
    * Great concept!

Third: "I designed and hand built my own audio consoles... hand etched my own circuit boards... etc..."
    * How many of "us" can put that on our resume?

Fourth: "I have some ocean front property for sale here in Nevada if you're interested."
    * Is the property still for sale? [Hee...hee!]

Fifth: "So I learned early on... its not the gear... its the technique and the skill set you bring to the table..."
    * Agreed!...Even with my limited understanding of things.

Sixth: "The ADA8000 units give us all a great chance to have the ability to do incredible work in our garage studios with a small investment... coupled with an RME and SAWStudio... we all have the ability to have the equivalent of studio's costing hundred's of thousands of dollars... right there in our garages... its awesome."
    * Agreed #2!

Seventh: "...but I also offer more than just a mouthful of arguments..."
    * Agreed #3!

Eighth: "Use your ears... decide for yourselves... don't get caught in the hype..."
    * This principle would apply to pretty much anything...even so-called "high-end" acoustic guitars!
    * I just had my guitar tech repair a 42 year old Suzuki Model 700 student nylon-strung guitar...all plywood construction...and "Man! Does that guitar sound great!" [At least to mine...and surprisingly, to "others" ears as well!]

Ninth: "I have to laugh at how many tell me how expensive SS is when it actually brings a 72 stereo track recorder, a 72 stereo track fully automated console with very high-end eq and compressors and gates on all channels, a synced video playback system, full digital editing capability... etc, to the table and then in the next breath tell me about the new 2 channel converter they just bought for $9000.... pretty absurd sounding from this side of the fence, I must say."
    * Agreed #4!
    * "I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said." William F. Buckley Jr.

Again great stuff here! Has anything really changed all that much...even today?

I just ran across this thread recently, too, and really enjoyed it. I just wish Bob would write a book about his experiences - I think it would be fascinating!

John Francis
    Rolla, MO