Close

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: OT: Bob, why are you using ADA8000s?

Along the lines of what Bob said:

I found that spending $85 on having a bias knob professionally installed in my 5150 did far more for my guitar sound than spending $2000 on a set of converters.

Don't get me wrong, you can have my MP2NV when you pry it from my cold, dead hands, but I do believe the operating phrase these days sould be "Caveat Emptor!"

Great gear is nice, but not always needed to get a great recording.

-0z-
    Glenn "Oz" Fricker
    Spectre Sound Studios
    www.spectresound.ca

Need crushing guitar tone? Contact me about reamping!

Hi All,
    Long story short...
    Mackie D8B $ 10,000.00
    Mci jh428 Console $ 3,500.00 (never worked right)
    Neuman M147 $ 2,700.00?
    Blue Bluberry $ 1,000.00
    Vintage Langevin pres $ 3000.00
    True presision8 $ 2700.00
    3 rme ada8000 pro $ 3500.00
    -----------
    This is depressing, it's only a partial list of some of the stuff I have bought sold all at a loss of course.

Now I'm using 2 behringer ada8000's, a handfull of decent mics SawStudio and getting better recordings/mixes/finished projects than I ever before!
    This is from studing a lot, mostly from you guys, or links i've found here.

Do I think the behringers sound as good as the true presion 8 thru rme ada 8000 pro? flat out NO. well maybe.
    Are my recordings better with the behringers flat out YES!!! But it's not the equipment, its learning to listen, studying your craft!

Having said that I still have gear lust. There's a lot of stuff I hope to be able to afford some day(mytecs are on the list, so is a better room), till then I want to keep improving my craft and hopefully gaining more clients.

When it comes down to it its about music, art, not technology(the technolgy is great, none of us could do what we do without it, but its a tool for music right??? I gotta say I do love SawStudio though thanks Bob). Get the best stuff you can within your budget.
    My 1cent
    rex

I was going to reply to you Bill, but I see other have a clearer point on it, but I can say those are my feelings exactly. And yes, I still blame you for my lust on the 8x192

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Park
    ... In fact, my brother has removed all the high end front end gear in my studio and replaced it with ADA8000s and his own console. Why? He likes it. He is used to it. (Of course, he took over the room last year about this time and had he just opened it and started recording he would have made a lot of money by now... but I'm sure that many of you have younger siblings, what can you tell them? Usually not much.)
    Oy, don't get me started here.

If we shoot for the lowest common denominator, we begin to think that Pauly Shore is funny ,

McDonnalds is a hamburger ,

and Bush is a smart President .

Reality shows have substance ,

the daily doings of Paris Hilton have meaning in our lives ,

and Jimmy Kimmel is an adequate replacement for Johnny Carson .
    They aren't? all those things are not the best? You certainly know how to ruin one's certainties in life.
    Figuring out how the House M.D. character was developed.
    Macarena Ain't Noise Pollution.

ok

please continue this thread with this question

what about other behringer stuff? i could go drop 2750 on a pendulum quartet channel strip, which i don;t want to do?? or even 1K on a toft ATC 2 etc etc

bob what is your opinion of some of their other gear vs the "top" of the line stuff??

i want SAW full more than anything and i can see the value in it, i have much harder time NOT falling into gear lust and the hype with all the other forums i visit and things i read???

i am mainly concenred about the sound going in, the front chian if you will so if you were going to buy something along this avenue bob woud you just line up the ADA8000, a comp, and an EQ all from behringer??

also what mics do you use again?? for acoustic, vocals, amps, drums etc??

i am really interested in this right now

thanks

I think Bob will soon need to chage as a consultant
    Figuring out how the House M.D. character was developed.
    Macarena Ain't Noise Pollution.

as long as he reflects behringers price point i can afford him

i've got a few behr' products.. the ada ultragain8 is the best most reliable of the stuff i have. i have their 32 channel console for live stuff, it worked good for a while, i was using it as a monitor board, then at a gig the 5,6,7,& 8 aux bus went on the fritz.. not good. also have two of their reverb units, one of them stopped working mid show, and the other is still functioning, but it is a pain in the butt to go thru all the menus and parameters. not very user friendly. so i'm starting to see the reason why a lot of folks look down upon their line of gear.

tony

OK, what about this?
    How many of you have had your hearing checked? I mean lately. Not back in the 5th grade by Mrs. Macalony. But after being in live shows (like two or three gazillion)? Headphone's up just a little too loud (for hours on end)? Think that your mom's wisdom is starting to catch up to some of us? Oh, and then there is the age thing.... I would really like to see how we stack up (hearing loss wise) to others, non musician types...

Blog Entries

I am drummer and I am 42 and my hearing is perfect, I hear stuff that nobody hears, people think I am crazy....it sounds kinda like ringing.....

Quote Originally Posted by spiritman
    OK, what about this?
    How many of you have had your hearing checked? ...
    Every two years. And I have fresh earplugs cast every two years. Wear them constantly when I am in noisy environments.

But here is something to consider.... even though the scientists tell us that we loose high end hearing every year as the little hair responsible for detecting frequencies harden and break off, the best mastering engineers in the world are all older fellows.

Bill