Close

Default Remote Recording : ISDN vs ADSL

Hi:

Does anyone knows an efficient way to record between different studios simultaneously? Where I live, ISDN is a very expensive solution, and I have the feeling is an old technology that could be replaced by the internet conections availables today (Cable, ASDL).

Recently, Alex Guzmán shows me this program but I haven't experiment with:
    http://www.videolan.org/

Video Lan appears to be difficult to configure for skip firewalls, but maybe needs more tests.

And, lookin over, found this Pro Tools plugin (of corz, I don't have PT and not plannig to have):

http://www.source-elements.com/Source-Connect/

Will be great to have some like this on v. 4. (Or if actually exists an alternative, please tell me)

Once more, forgive my english.
    Alejandro Sanchez
    Audiomania

Default Re: Remote Recording : ISDN vs ADSL

ISDN is still the industry standard for real-time sessions between remote studios. Yes, it is old technology. But still the most dependable for this application.

I've actually done a session where the voice talent (kind of a techno geek) figured out a way to stream to me at what I think was 128 kbps (MP3) using Windows Media Player. He gave me an IP address that I typed in and away we went. There was like an 8- or 12-second delay, though, so I had to direct him on the phone while recording the delayed feed. There was also an occasional audio glitch, which I believe was the same glitch that I have on my system when playing anything with WMP, so probably nothing anyone else would run into. Anyway, it was way cheaper than ISDN ($100/month plus long distance plus 2 or 3 grand for the codec box).

I average a couple ISDN sessions a month, so it's usually worthwhile for me. Plus, it's actually zero effective cost for the ISDN line cuz I use it for my voice and fax lines when I'm not sessioning. Two analog business lines woulda cost about the same, I think.

I think the reason ISDN is still king is that it's a dedicated connection that's not subject to network traffic and server hops and buffering and...

I'm sure at some point the Internet will take over for this stuff, too. But not any time soon.

I'd be interested to hear about the other technologies, though.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque
    ISDN is still the industry standard for real-time sessions between remote studios. Yes, it is old technology. But still the most dependable for this application.

I've actually done a session where the voice talent (kind of a techno geek) figured out a way to stream to me at what I think was 128 kbps (MP3) using Windows Media Player. He gave me an IP address that I typed in and away we went. There was like an 8- or 12-second delay, though, so I had to direct him on the phone while recording the delayed feed. There was also an occasional audio glitch, which I believe was the same glitch that I have on my system when playing anything with WMP, so probably nothing anyone else would run into. Anyway, it was way cheaper than ISDN ($100/month plus long distance plus 2 or 3 grand for the codec box).

I average a couple ISDN sessions a month, so it's usually worthwhile for me. Plus, it's actually zero effective cost for the ISDN line cuz I use it for my voice and fax lines when I'm not sessioning. Two analog business lines woulda cost about the same, I think.

I think the reason ISDN is still king is that it's a dedicated connection that's not subject to network traffic and server hops and buffering and...

I'm sure at some point the Internet will take over for this stuff, too. But not any time soon.

I'd be interested to hear about the other technologies, though.

I just did VO's for a commercial for Subway Monday (and an actual for real Opera singer... for the new "Italian" sanwiches... it was kinda fun). At any rate, I might have to put in an ISDN line for a live feed in the future... not sure yet. But, yeah, as far as I know ISDN is still how this is done... at least around here it is.

Perry

I get regular ISDN sessions too. I think eventually the bandwidth will increase enough to handle real time, full fidelity audio along with the exponential increase in junk email. But at this point in time, I think ISDN is the best way to handle this.

Our local SBE meeting this week, will look at this product.

i-Mix is a fully optioned 5 input portable mixer with a built in 15kHz POTS codec, with optional ISDN upgrade, wireless compatibility and data broadcasting capability. It offers flexibility such as intercom buttons on each input channel allowing off air communications between headsets, channel On/Off buttons, cue and relay control buttons for local and even remote control of -

equipment over the link and two balanced program monitoring outputs. All the features you would expect of a portable mixer plus POTS/ISDN/Wireless and data compatibility.

Hearing is believing : Tieline proprietary POTS algorithms deliver crystal clear 15kHz mono audio at bit rates as low as 24kbps with just a 100ms delay. A new benchmark for confidence: All codecs feature Tieline's 3rd generation proprietary "Precision Modem Technology" which practically eliminates phone and audio dropouts.

You're in control like never before : Now you can remotely adjust every aspect of your Tieline from the Tieline at the other end of the link.

http://www.indigon.co.kr/english/htm/Castspec_IMix.htm

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Snape
    Our local SBE meeting this week, will look at this product.

i-Mix is a fully optioned 5 input portable mixer with a built in 15kHz POTS codec, with optional ISDN upgrade, wireless compatibility and data broadcasting capability. It offers flexibility such as intercom buttons on each input channel allowing off air communications between headsets, channel On/Off buttons, cue and relay control buttons for local and even remote control of -

equipment over the link and two balanced program monitoring outputs. All the features you would expect of a portable mixer plus POTS/ISDN/Wireless and data compatibility.

Hearing is believing : Tieline proprietary POTS algorithms deliver crystal clear 15kHz mono audio at bit rates as low as 24kbps with just a 100ms delay. A new benchmark for confidence: All codecs feature Tieline's 3rd generation proprietary "Precision Modem Technology" which practically eliminates phone and audio dropouts.

You're in control like never before : Now you can remotely adjust every aspect of your Tieline from the Tieline at the other end of the link.

http://www.indigon.co.kr/english/htm/Castspec_IMix.htm

Ed
    Are they talking about using a single POTS line? That would be surprising, but as technology races forward, who knows? I'd be interested to hear it, anyway.

Part of the thing, though, is that if you want to be compatible with all the other studios out there, you have to go with a standard. Like ISDN. For dedicated applications where you can put one of these at each end, it may be the ticket.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts