Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Outboard Effects

Hi guys.

Would you guys say its a good idea to run reverbs externally?

Im thinking of getting the reverb unit from behringer.

From my experience the verbs always eat up soo much cpu that im thinking it is best to allow that cpu space for the other calculations on a larger mix.

What do you guys think?

Also is that Behringer verb any good?

Cheers

Default Re: Outboard Effects

No no no no no.

Use Freeverb from JMS if you want a free - verb. Use the SAW verb if you want a fantastic sounding, cheap, low cpu native verb. Use one of the many verbs discussed in other threads if you want a VSTverb (Glaceverb, SIR, R66 etc etc.)

Freeverb really is very good.

Dominic

3. Default Re: Outboard Effects

To honest with you id rather use a plugin as its you can recall the while mix at a later date.

Just that my experince with most verbs are quite taxing.

If you run multiple verbs as separate AUX's, you can have lots and use very little CPU. I usually add 4-5 on individual tracks and it doesn't push the CPU at all on a modern laptop.

Dominic

Download my demo Reverb plugin and try the Gymnasium HD (Hi Density) chamber for starters... it is very efficient and can be a great sounding overall verb for many things.

Learn to patch it in the Aux Send/Return as you see me do on the band demo video.

Also try Anwida's Spazio Native SAWStudio verb... another nice one to add to the collection... I have stopped using hardware verbs a long time ago... and certainly don't miss anything.

If you must shoot for a convolution type verb for truer realism, try the SIR verb... if need be, you can build a mix of the verb return to free up the cpu.

Bob L

I use SIR and the Saw verb all the time and never have cpu taxing with 20+ tracks so ?? BTW SIR is very cool I've got Emt244 sims all kinds of halls churches etc. very realistic IMO ( you need to work with them but thats always the case ,setting the pre-delay and tails really helps )

LAter
    Buzz

I find that for critical music mixes my high-end outboard units (Lexicon 300, for example) still beat every plugin I've ever heard for richness, smoothness and character. That said, however, plugins have gotten better and better, many are very useable and will pass professional muster---and are certainly at least as nice as the cheaper outboard stuff. (Behringer, for example) The Studio reverb, when properly tweaked, can be very nice. SIR can be great, as well, if you pick the proper impulse responses. I also like Ambience, though it is a hog.

So I'd recommend an outboard unit only if you're willing to spend for a really good one. Otherwise, you've already got some excellent---and free---plugin verbs available that are more than worth the CPU hit.

Don't forget... by using an external hardware verb, you give up some things as far as the buildmix option goes and must mix live to a mixdown machine or back into SAWStudio in realtime... you also cannot just reopen the mix and tweak, because you then must duplicate your verb settings manually.

Bob L

9. Default Re: Outboard Effects

Yes, thats a very important point indeed.

i sold my TC 3000 and only use Bobs SAW and Anwida now, i have SIR and it is nice but i really don't seem to need more than those 2

the only out board gear i concentrate on are the ones for your front chain.