Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS wish list

Default SS wish list

Greets all!

I've been using SSB for the last few months, and it's been great. My business has pretty much doubled since I made the switch over from Sonar. In fact, I've even got a client flying in from Sweden this July to come cut tracks in my little studio here in Windsor Ontario, Canada.

SS does so many things right, I can't complain. However, there is one feature I really miss from Sonar that isn't in SS. The channel EQ with a switchable graphic editor. Sonar got smart and added the Sonditus EQ to every channel, and if you double clicked it, it would give you a full graphic where you could grab and move shelves & bells. I got used to working this way, and it's the one thing that keeps me from using the SS channel EQ very much. I'm not saying it sounds bad... not at all. I'm just saying the EQ's interface is a bit on the clunky side when it comes to choosing frequencies. I'd much rather have a graphic view than a drop down menu of numbers.

Other than that, I don't really have any gripes. It's an outstanding program.

-0z-
    Glenn "Oz" Fricker
    Spectre Sound Studios
    www.spectresound.ca

Need crushing guitar tone? Contact me about reamping!

Default Re: SS wish list

Hi OzNimbus -
    What you are wishing for already exists. It is a SAW native 3rd party plugin - the JMS Audioware Hi-Res EQ. It is fully automateable 7 band parametric eq with a graphic display - has shelving filters as an option (along with peak and hi & lo pass), it is incredibly efficient (just like RML Labs stuff), sounds excellent (64 bit floating point processing throughout). Highly highly recommended - usually the first thing I always reach for and one of the best $75 you could spend imho.

http://www.jms-audioware.com/eq_saw.htm

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Just checked it out.... it's sort of what I'm talking about. However, I already own the ultrafunk plugs, so I can get the same result. What I was suggesting was an update to the SS channel EQ.
    Glenn "Oz" Fricker
    Spectre Sound Studios
    www.spectresound.ca

Need crushing guitar tone? Contact me about reamping!

Ive been having the opposite experience. I find that the simplicity of the built in eq makes it a breeze to use. much like the EQ on a console, the frequencies that are set work 99% of the time, and sawstudio's eq is fantastic sounding in its default state. I am totally loving it as opposed to wha tI feel are clunky "graphical" eq's that give you so many options and lackluster sound it becomes hard to concentrate on the song rather than operating the itnerface. just my experience

Like steve said, JMS has a wonderful EQ. Also companies like voxengo, elemental audio, waves, kjaerus, vb-audio have amazing eq's you can use as well. My favorites are the vb-audio plugins, wow!

I think the eq interface is fine as well. I can see everything ok.

I WOULD like a tuneable shelf at least on the top. Then I don't have to use a plug in. The bandwidth (although it says Q) at 3 octaves isn't enough at the high freq. By the way Bob, IMHO the eq sounds very good.

I too enjoy the simplicity of the SS eq. If i need more control, or a prettier look then i use my elemental audio plugins.. They have a different eq sound, but compliment SS eq VERY well!..
    Carey A. Langille
    Producer/Engineer
    Ocean Sound Productions
    www.oceansoundstudio.com
    Creativity at the Speed of Sound

The Hi and Lo Cut filters at the bottom of the built-in EQ are your shelves... with a nice sharp rolloff on either end. You can tune the frequency on each.

Again, realize that the built-in EQ is for the basic settings of most tracks... they are a wonderfully warm and rich sounding algorithm that should handle 99% of all basic EQ needs.

For extreme detailed adjustments, you should use one of the great EQ plugins that were mentioned in the other messages.

It takes time to constantly update and draw accurate EQ curves. I decided to not put that kind of display on each mixer channel because each time you move around or F-Key to another workspace, the overhead to re-display the console would have made it very difficult, if not impossible, to keep the screen re-draws out of the way of glitching low latency playback.

Bob L

I like the Channel EQ as is, it sounds great to me, and does the job 99% of the time, I've never been a fan of the graphic plot display anyway, and if I want hi or low shelving I just use a plugin, but after using SS for a while, I find that I don't really need to use shelving EQ nearly as much as I used to, and I think that it actually helps (by not using it on every track) to keep the overall hi end from becoming overbearing.

On a different note I have a feature request. I would love to see in SS Basic (because I own that) and all of the others is a feature that samplitude has which is amazingly useful. That is the ability to burn a backup copy of the project directly to cd from the project. It automatically calculates how many CDs you'll need and then goes and burns them, prompting you along the way to put in fresh CDs. It will also let you load other directories too so you can use to burn other folders outside of the project. Wadda ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo
    On a different note I have a feature request. I would love to see in SS Basic (because I own that) and all of the others is a feature that samplitude has which is amazingly useful. That is the ability to burn a backup copy of the project directly to cd from the project. It automatically calculates how many CDs you'll need and then goes and burns them, prompting you along the way to put in fresh CDs. It will also let you load other directories too so you can use to burn other folders outside of the project. Wadda ya think?
    I agree session data backup creation to CD-R & DVD-/+R as a direct command in SAW would be a mighty nice feature also - although what I do right now is just keep everything in a single folder per project and use Ahead's Nero to make the backups - it's an awesome software to do exactly what you are talking about. http://www.ahead.de

Best regards,
    Steve Berson