Close

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default OT: My argument for Ilock.........

I know about the horror stories and I also know that a lot of honest people are frustrated by Ilock (me too and I don't have Ilock). But the argument that it is less than effective and only hurts the honest folk is weak.........in my opinion.

So, my argument is, if we give up all efforts to "fight crime" then the criminals win.

An example might be; since retail theft cannot be stopped, and it costs billions for all of us (fighting and losing), let's remove security devices, cameras, security personel, etc. because we cannot stop it. Anyway, those pesky things just piss off the honest folk. Should we boycott all retail chains?

I believe trying to curb the problem is O.K.

Default Re: OT: My argument for Ilock.........

But you must realize it absolutely, positively, does not stop commercial pirates. iLok software IS cracked and freely available online if you know where to look. This is not theft in the traditional sense.. you do not have a single place to get the product, and you are lifting it from there. The product is freely available on every corner and there is no exclusive place to 'steal' it.

It simply stops SOME purchasing customers from sharing with friends. You can liken this stopping and searching every single person who goes onto an airplane.. inconveniencing every person who walks on, yet it would still be incredibly easy to smuggle aboard devices to cause harm to others or the aircraft. Even with random checks, and increased security I know my brother has walked onto an aircraft accidentally with his hunting knife without a single problem into 2 very secure airports. I picked up a buddy recently who kept a handgun in his carry-on laptop bag, it went unnoticed for the entire 3 part trip. He went home with it as well.

In the end, security only stops the moron from breaking the law. Anyone who really wants to break the law, can and will and most likely will not get caught. The illusion that protection devices foil skilled criminals is simply an illusion. Protection devices should be geared to what they can do: stop stupid criminals.

The best way to curb theft is to make a product people are willing and able to pay for.
    Last edited by AudioAstronomer; 05-26-2006 at 05:34 PM.
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Yeah, I do not expect many to agree but,...

The best way to curb theft is to make a product people are willing and able to pay for.
    that is a silly statement, I mean the able part.

Again, I don't believe all attempts to stop criminal activity are geared towards the mentally challenged. I also believe that you can steal anything you want, the Hope Diamond, $10,000,000 from an armored car, etc. My belief is, we need to try. We cannot stop because we are not 100% succesful.

The product is freely available on every corner and there is no exclusive place to 'steal' it.
    Well, you get these cracks mostly from file sharing, warezed stores, ebay, and other places online.

But you must realize it absolutely, positively, does not stop commercial pirates
    That is part of my argument. We should try even though it does not prevent all theft.

I just disagree with what I feel is a convoluted logic that say's, "it won't stop all theft so don't implement it."
    Last edited by Sam C; 05-26-2006 at 06:34 PM.

You can liken this stopping and searching every single person who goes onto an airplane.. inconveniencing every person who walks on, yet it would still be incredibly easy to smuggle aboard devices to cause harm to others or the aircraft. Even with random checks, and increased security I know my brother has walked onto an aircraft accidentally with his hunting knife without a single problem into 2 very secure airports. I picked up a buddy recently who kept a handgun in his carry-on laptop bag, it went unnoticed for the entire 3 part trip. He went home with it as well.
    I agree the system is flawed. Let's not search at all? No xray machines, no attempt to stop it. We can't, why try?

5. Default Re: OT: My argument for Ilock.........

Hey Sam;
    I agree with you to a point.....
    Theft is the main problem. It is a problem from 2 points of view.

1) Retail theft from stores and hacker/cracker passcode theft is a major problem.

2) Theft from the developers and their OVERPRICED, semi-working software.
    I belive that software prices are sky high based on the developement time and effort put into the design AND to offset piracy loses.

As a developer you know the climate of the market BEFORE you release your software and that priacy is a problem. Is it wrong to try to protect your IP? Not at all. Is it wrong to charge more because of theft?......YES!!!

In the case of Win XP..... I feel that it is way overpriced, especially since you can only install it "x" number of timesand the fact that it works "sometimes" without a flaw. You just try to get tech support from MS anytime in the near future...... Not gonna happen unless you pay for it and then you still have a hard time. If you purchased the right to use the software, you should be able to use the software as much as you like on one computer.

In the case of SAWstudio Full..... This is one of the FEW softwares that are priced FAIRLY to the comsumer. Based on what you get for your money, SAW is hard to beat. You get a well written set of code that is rock solid and just works. You may get a glitch or two from certain plugins but that is fixable.

You get a developer that you can actually talk to basically for FREE that actually listens to the users needs for software updates. You get a DAW stright out of the box that replaces tons of hardware and saves you a bunch on plugins. You get software that you can setup to work the way you want to work, not how someone dictates that you have to use it. In setting up a custom workflow you save time and energy which translates to saved money for the client which brings repeat business. Is SAW a "NAME" brand? It's getting there..... but you only have to convince your client once. When they see the efficency that you work on their project, you will have a client for good.

I am all for protecting what is yours, but, in the case of Ilok you have to reach a happy medium. Priacy will not go away anytime soon, but there has to be a better protection scheme than Ilok.

Ilok is not worth the price of priacy just as the patroit act and its derivitaves are not worth the price of our rights.

Developers either get a grip or get a better copy protection scheme.

My $.02

Jujuman
    Michael Fagains
    Bearded Dragon Recordings NYC

Is it wrong to charge more because of theft?......YES!!!
    juju, you do realize we pay more for car insurance, food, clothes, electronics, etc. because of theft? It is absolutey, 100% factored in. If people would stop stealing and cheating, prices of many things could drop.

But, mostly I just feel it is O.K. to try and protect your product. We have a choice not to buy. If I think the price is unreasonable I won't buy it. However, I think thieves just steal.

In the case of SAWstudio Full..... This is one of the FEW softwares that are priced FAIRLY to the comsumer. Based on what you get for your money, SAW is hard to beat. You get a well written set of code that is rock solid and just works. You may get a glitch or two from certain plugins but that is fixable.
    This for me is not about SAW. SAW is available to thieves as well. They might even rationalize their stealing it by saying it is too expensive. I just think they are thieves. iLock cannot be perfect. No attempt to curb theft is. But that is my point, we stop trying because our methods are faulty?
    Last edited by Sam C; 05-26-2006 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AudioAstronomer

This is one of the best statements I have heard on the subject. Don't be to quick to judge Robert on this. Lets look at it. To me the key here is the "able" part. Lets say Bob only ever released the full version. Yep, lots of torrent DL's. The fact that he made a very affordable version in Basic is what made me NOT DL a crack (and they are available). For a measly $300 I get a killer program with all the support and tons of free updates anyone could ever want. I was able to pay $300.

niles

keep it up... and before you know it, they'll figure out a way that you can only use one plug per track per instance.. any more and you'll need another license. do you work for the government or something?

tony

This is one of the best statements I have heard on the subject. Don't be to quick to judge Robert on this
    I think that when you make a product you might not think in terms of can everybody afford it. It might be expensive to make and have a smaller market because of that. So you know going in that a large percentage of consumers cannot afford. I still think it could be viable. In 1970 a Rolex was on a lot less wrists than today. I think they were O.K. with that.

keep it up... and before you know it, they'll figure out a way that you can only use one plug per track per instance.. any more and you'll need another license. do you work for the government or something?
    See this is meant to incite. And, it is not directied at the topic. Why say it!

I'm more interested in reasonable debate, like most of the reply's.