Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum behavior

1. Default Re: Forum behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander
    Is it possible to reduce the minimum length of a forum search string?
    This has been reduced to a minimum of two characters. As the database builds a search index based on the minimum word length, the index (and conversely the database) is considerably larger the smaller the number, so let's try this and see if it's better.

-Jeanne

Default Re: Forum behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne Quinn
    This has been reduced to a minimum of two characters. As the database builds a search index based on the minimum word length, the index (and conversely the database) is considerably larger the smaller the number, so let's try this and see if it's better.

-Jeanne
    Hey, thanks, Jeanne!
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thanks, Jeanne! That'll definitely make the search functionality more useful. Will there be any way to search on exact phrases? That's what I find to be the most frustrating thing.

Jay
    Planet Earth is an incredible gift. It's our one and only home, yet we're slowly killing it and, in the process, killing ourselves. Think about the world you want your children to live in. Please think "preservation", not "plunder".

4. Default Re: Forum behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Q
    Will there be any way to search on exact phrases?
    Hi Jay,

I changed the search type to a fulltext search. You may now search for exact phrases by using quotes around your search phrase.

Thanks,
    -Jeanne

On the other side of the coin, I come back to the forum and find that the messages/threads I've already read are marked as unread. With my memory being what it is, it takes me a while before I realize I've read theses before. Always good reading but not a real time saver.

Thank you Jeanne!
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

For example, I know I read this thread earlier and even posted. After my last session, I came back to check the forum and the whole thread was marked unread. Is there something I should be saving or something I'm missing?

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill, there is a minimum "time away" before you are considered to have started a new session on the forum. I think it's about 3 hours. To get around this, click Quick Links, then Mark Forums Read. Then you can return ten minutes later and see what you expect.

I actually like the minimum time away. It keeps me from wasting the ENTIRE day here.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Ian,

It's easy to spend a lot of time here, I wouldn't call it wasted though ... I call it information gathering ... eh, research ... um statistical explorations.

OK now I'm wasting time!

Thanks,
    Bill

Use the Quick Links Mark Forums Read option everytime you leve... it works perfectly for me, even if I come back on ten mins later.

Bob L