Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP SP2?

Default XP SP2?

Hi...

I just redid my system and set up a new HD with a fresh XP install w/SP1. When I went to get all of the updates I saw support for SP1 is going away on Oct 10, 2006.

Any pros/cons with SP2 with SAW and plugins, or in general that anyone might be having? I don't plan on buying M$ Vista at all, too much bloat.

SP1 is working fine for me now w/o problems. I have an AMD XP2800+ w/GigaByte GA-7VA mobo, 1GB ram, 300gb 16mb cache HD (audio), 200 GB(OS), 250gb(apps), Audigy 2ZS platinum pro (I know, I'll get a REAL audio card soon).

Thanx
    DamonD

Default Re: XP SP2?

I put SP2 on my laptop, which I really do not record on although I have SAW loaded and I play with certain tunes for the fun of it. So far no problems.

XP Home SP2 here. No problems. Works fine with RME Digiface MME drivers 4x64/2x64. Trimmed and tuned, dual boot for music on a 1.73GHz laptop.

Dominic

Personally if I could stay with SP1 I probably would.. unless there's ome specific reason not to. I'm not sure what exactly it will mean to you that MS is dropping support for earlier SP1. And there may be, sooner or later, something that you run that requires SP2.

But, SP2 adds a lot of "anti-everything" junk that you'll probably need to turn off for a DAW anyway. No doubt MS would rather have everyone move to this, but for a DAW it probably doesn't really add anything to the party that you need.

As I've upgraded and built new rigs I have moved into SP 2, and it seems to be fine once you get it set up and turn off all the stuff that you don't want, but there's nothing about it that I prefer over SP1 and SP1 is easier to set up.

Stay where you are if you can.... that's my advice. Of course, up to you what you'll decide to do.

AS far as not wanting Vista.. I didn't want XP!!! But, sooner or later we most likely will all be forced into whatever MS dishes out to us, because someone... somewhere... will drop support eventually for XP and you either freeze where you are or move on. Eventually it gets harder and harder to stay put as support is dropped for the older OS by various companies that we are apt to deal with.

We'll see how it goes I guess.

Best of luck,

Perry
    Last edited by Perry; 07-08-2006 at 04:55 PM.

Do the tweaks and turn all the firewall and automatic update stuff OFF... SP2 is annoying with all of the automatic prompting... once you finally get it all shut off... it seems to work ok.

I personally see no advantage in SP2... only more bloat... so if you can stay with SP1... I would do so.

Most new installs of XP force SP2... so you are stuck.

Bob L

Hi.

Thanx for the replys. I'll keep SP1 and when the update site forces SP2 on me, I'll get it then. I always turn off AutoUpdate and get them manually. I should be safe w/SP1, because I'll use this Boot for DAW and not the internet, work, graphics, etc...

I'm still open for the good, bad and ugly on SP2 though.

Perry...

about dropping MS support:

When I got the updates for XP it loaded the WGA, and some little nag thing showed up in the Tray area and it came up with a message that said (not sure of exact words, I removed WGA) On Oct 10, 2006, MS will be stopping support for SP1, Do you want to install SP2 now?"

For those who want to get rid of the WGA (even though M$ has some instructions on their site, I don't like the fact they "force" WGA on you, Force meaning you can't get other updates untiul that one is loaded) There's a little app called RemoveWGA.exe from http://www.firewallleaktester.com/removewga.htm

Thanx
    DamonD

Thanks, WGA removed from my laptop. I dont update my DAW as per the Bob and Perry's comments on SP1. Now that you mention it, I am sure the WGA has slowed down the boot time since loading.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonD
    Hi.

Thanx for the replys. I'll keep SP1 and when the update site forces SP2 on me, I'll get it then. I always turn off AutoUpdate and get them manually. I should be safe w/SP1, because I'll use this Boot for DAW and not the internet, work, graphics, etc...

I'm still open for the good, bad and ugly on SP2 though.

Perry...

about dropping MS support:

When I got the updates for XP it loaded the WGA, and some little nag thing showed up in the Tray area and it came up with a message that said (not sure of exact words, I removed WGA) On Oct 10, 2006, MS will be stopping support for SP1, Do you want to install SP2 now?"

For those who want to get rid of the WGA (even though M$ has some instructions on their site, I don't like the fact they "force" WGA on you, Force meaning you can't get other updates untiul that one is loaded) There's a little app called RemoveWGA.exe from http://www.firewallleaktester.com/removewga.htm

Thanx
    DamonD
    Well... not surprising. But certainly a drag! FWIW, I could see this coming long ago (and said so!) and I've always known that once the gates were opened with the MS plans to "protect their property" it was just going to get worse for us. Unfortunately the time to have curbed this is likely long past.

So... we just have to do the best we can! From what I read this whole business of digital 'rights' is only just getting started really.

At any rate... thanks for that link! I'll grab that one!

All the best,

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Perry
    Well... not surprising. But certainly a drag! FWIW, I could see this coming long ago (and said so!) and I've always known that once the gates were opened with the MS plans to "protect their property" it was just going to get worse for us. Unfortunately the time to have curbed this is likely long past.

So... we just have to do the best we can! From what I read this whole business of digital 'rights' is only just getting started really.

At any rate... thanks for that link! I'll grab that one!

All the best,

Perry
    Don't worry, now you can choose to run macos on pc to avoid all this MS protections nonsense...oops! too late, they've started with this thing too
    Figuring out how the House M.D. character was developed.
    Macarena Ain't Noise Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Itriago
    Don't worry, now you can choose to run macos on pc to avoid all this MS protections nonsense...oops! too late, they've started with this thing too
    It' a conspiracy!!! (for sure)

Brother... stuff I read about in computer magazines... the Digital Rights stuff that we're going to have to be dealing with everyday...

Well... best to keep smiling and doing our best to outwit them and simply... ummm... prosper regardless! Yeah.. that's it.

Perry