Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OT: Need some career advice

Hey gang, I really need some help with this one....

Basically, I'm 2 years in on an album, working with some clients, that are really nice people, but are the ultimate nit-pickers. Nothing, it seems, is ever good enough to please these guys. ...To the point I was in to see the doctor today as I was vomiting due to the stress of this project. Unfortunatley, I don't see the project finishing anytime soon. I'm ready to cut & run. I got into making records to enjoy myself, not to lose my mind.

The clients have paid me about 4/5ths of what they owe me for studio time. Should I offer them a partial or any refund? Or am I obligated at all?

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated.

-0z-
    Glenn "Oz" Fricker
    Spectre Sound Studios
    www.spectresound.ca

Need crushing guitar tone? Contact me about reamping!

Default Re: OT: Need some career advice

Unless you have a contract that states an album will be made before you get paid, I wouldn't offer a refund. I would package the work you've done for them to be transportable to another studio so they can 'complete' their work. That's what you're getting paid for at this point - the work you've already completed for them.
    -Craig

Makes sense. ..No contract was signed about anything regarding a finished record, so yeah, sounds good. Thanks!

-0z-
    Glenn "Oz" Fricker
    Spectre Sound Studios
    www.spectresound.ca

If you can't figure out a way to make it work with them (new ground rules?) then let them know now you will be stopping work on the project. Pick a day a week down the road as the big day and let them know you'll have their masters, all the mixes up until now archived, etc.

I think you should get your money. No money no masters..but you may be so sick of it you could split the diff on the last 1/5 you're owed as walk-away-happy money.

Some people are sadistic when it comes to this stuff--I'm all for perfection but if you're feeling it's all on your shoulders then something is way wrong. And 2 years is more than enough time to get a handfull of killer recordings done.

Best of luck.

A lot depends on the nature of your "contract" with them. I put the word in quotes partly because, even if there is no written document, there may be a verbal agreement of some sort that may be legally binding. Even without the "legal" angle, the first question to ask yourself is what actual commitment you made to the client. If you "contracted" to carry the project through to completion, then you need to decide what the value of your personal word is (or should be). Part of this is professional reputation, and part of it is what you see when you look in the mirror.

Most seasoned professional engineers have "client from hell" stories of one kind or another, most commonly about clients with no talent, and often with lots of ego. Sooner or later, every session engineers has his patience tested.

Do these guys demand amazing results without adequate resources, or is it just a matter of going over and over the same old ground to get the best take? Tom Scholz of Boston fame was famous as a perfectionist, but then again he was also the engineer... so he drove the record company crazy. OTOH, the albums he DID complete still hold up pretty well, don't they?

Now, if these guys can actually hear something REAL, just very subtle, you may be getting some paid "ear training" in the process. Have your own perceptions improved in the course of this project?

Now, if your only commitment is one of studio time in exchange for hourly rate, and if they are behind in their bill, you have a ready excuse for pulling the plug, at which point you can then pass along the recordings of the work in progress or hold onto them against the balance due. If these guys are decent, they should be understanding about your stress, and willing to either work out less stressful working arrangements or part company with no hard feelings.

There is also the possibility that your stress is more about your own unmet expectations than the demands of your clients (not being there myself, I cannot say whether this is true, just considering a possibility). If so, adjusting your own expectations may be one way to lower your stress level.

If the work situation is really doing you harm, you may well have to find a way to back out gracefully. You should also consider whether these stresses would possibly happen with a fair number of other clients, so that you can decide whether the answer is just to be more selective about clients you will work with or find some other business and relegate recording to a hobby that you can persue on your own terms.

Not knowing whether anything I have said here is on target at all...

HTH
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

There must be more to the story than you are telling us if you are getting sick because someone is picky. Are they paying their bill? The best client is the one that keeps coming back with their checkbook.

In any case, if you decide you don't want to work with them anymore, and getting them to go away is more important to you than any damage your reputation may suffer, I would still get the money you are owed.

Get them to pay the bill in full before you hand over the work product.

My $.02

Mark

Are you working for my brother????

Thanks for all the advice, guys. The particular money agreement: "$35 per hour." That's it. We've gone through several versions of the record, had a couple of re-starts, you name it. The main problem is, they're trying to squeeze a $100,000 record out of a $5000 budget.

The album they want to emulate was done by one of the very best engineers in the genre, and I know for a fact it had a huge budget. ...not to mention a live orchestra behind the band! The band itself can play & play well. But at this point, I've been over the songs so many times it's just turning my brain to mush.

On the other hand, some other projects I've been working on recently have turned out fantastic. One of my clients is showcasing for a major label this Sunday night, based on the record I did. Another full length I'm working is the height of enjoyablility in producing.... I've never had as much fun making a record. So yeah, I still love making records, no question there.

-0z-
    Last edited by Oz Nimbus; 08-09-2006 at 06:28 PM.
    Glenn "Oz" Fricker
    Spectre Sound Studios
    www.spectresound.ca

Blog Entries

I am sorry you are getting sick over all this.

I had to edit after you posted.

I will never do a per hours gigs..... never.

I will only do per song and each song is allowed X hours after that it gets exspensive..........no 2 year gig here.

Commuicate with them and let them know what you think.
    Last edited by Microstudio; 08-09-2006 at 06:30 PM.

Also, make them a little bit difficult to book time with you, start telling them that you're getting more work and that you'll have to make some scheduling space for those new compromises.

Let them know that they're not your only clients.

Now, if they are your main income...