Close

Thread: OT: Rode NT5

Default OT: Rode NT5

Anyone using these for cymbals?
    I generally use old AKG 451s for this purpose in the studio but I'd rather not take them out on live gigs.
    Any suggestions for live cymbal/acoustic guitar mics?
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: OT: Rode NT5

Hi Tim,

I use a pair of these regularly as overheads. They're not bad, certainly good for the money. I like them but I certainly prefer the sound of AT4051's as overheads. Although I haven't used 451's myself, I know they are a stand-by. IMO the NT's are not as nice as something like that but they will definitely do the job you're asking.

FWIW, they aren't quite as tight a pickup pattern as some of the other cardioid small diaphragm condensers. Don't know what the spec says, but that's what my ears have told me.

Lately I've fallen in love with the TSM u87 china copies. Sounds fantastic as overheads. Have not tried the NT5s

Bjørn
    Try out the original SS SilverShades. Designed by BIT.
    Bjørn I Tysse
    BIT Lyd
    Bergen, Norway

You have a Linkto the TSM u87 Bit?
    Carey A. Langille
    Producer/Engineer
    Ocean Sound Productions
    www.oceansoundstudio.com
    Creativity at the Speed of Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Carey Langille
    You have a Linkto the TSM u87 Bit?
    Her you go:-)
    It's in norwegian thou
    I hope the picture tells you what you need to know

http://www.tabs.no/produkter/lyd/tsm...-mikrofon.html

c
    Bjørn
    Try out the original SS SilverShades. Designed by BIT.
    Bjørn I Tysse
    BIT Lyd
    Bergen, Norway

Quote Originally Posted by bit
    Lately I've fallen in love with the TSM u87 china copies. Sounds fantastic as overheads. Have not tried the NT5s

Bjørn
    How much did they cost? Are they available in the US?

Tim - I bought a pair of NT5s when thet first came out way back in 2002 (seems like an age ago). As a general purpose mic they are very good but after a close listen you'll notice a certain dullness or even harshness in the top end which is not so appealing. One thing about Rode that impressed me though is their service. I had a noise problem with one of the mics earlier this year and within a week they had fixed it - and for free.

I also have a pair of AKG 451Bs - the re-edition of what you've already got but a little brighter sounding. I tested these against quite a few the "From China, With Love" pencil mics (in the same price range). They were the only mics that had any real smoothness and detail in the top end. Basically a good value, versatile mic for recording and stage.

Andre

Hi Tim,

You might consider a pair of AKG C 535 EB's. You can quite possibly find a used pair cheap. They make decent overheads and they're pretty handy to have on live gigs cause they can even be used for vocals or.... whatever.

Just a thought.

Perry