Close

1. Default Minimum laptop/notebook requirements

I am a dinosaur. I still use the old SawPRO (lite, even) to edit and produce a radio news feature. It's one channel in at a time (newsmaker via telephone followed by studio announcer). Three mono channels mix for final program (the two above plus music).

Although it does far more than I need, some of the features of Studio BASIC appeal to me.

If I were to head that way, with the above-mentioned minimal I/O needs, what's the least laptop/notebook I could get away with? And yes I'm SURE my needs will not increase (as they haven't in the past seven years). Are there features that are must-gets and others that are must-nots?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Best,
    Kevin Pierce

Default Re: Minimum laptop/notebook requirements

Kevin,

Your needs would allow you to use just about any laptop you find at a good price... I would recommend 512 mb ram (although 256 would work)... and a simple firewire soundcard like the M-Audio Firewire Solo or 410 (laptop needs firewire connection)... its all you need and works very well for single input recording with its own monitoring hedaphone built-in mixer. Using the ASIO drivers you can also obtain low latency performance if your monitoring needs demand it.

Bob L

Kevin,

Might be worth a quick look at the band videos (SAWStudio demos) to see what Bob does with a 1GHz laptop. They're on the SAWStudio website or use the link at the top of the forum page "View SAWStudio Promotional/Training Videos!"

4. Default Re: Minimum laptop/notebook requirements

David:

Thanks for the pointer. Yes, I've seen what can be done with the right equipment/laptop; I'm more interested in how little I can get away with and still meet my oh-so-minimal needs.

The good news is that the last time I was looking at this issue (years and years ago), there were precious few laptops that would handle the project -- even a minimal one. Now, says even Bob, just about any will handle the basics...

Best,
    Kevin

"Now, says even Bob, just about any will handle the basics..."

Life is good...

I have a P3/1ghz laptop that runs SAW Studio well enough for over 24 tracks, so as Bob suggests any contemporary machine should be plenty for your needs.

Regards,

MM
    Michael McInnis Productions

Shoot, I have Basic running on a Thinkpad 390x I got for $125. PIII 450, 128 megs ram, record with mic- could use a USB input thingie as long as you don't need real time monitoring.
    Minimal enough?

8. Default Re: Minimum laptop/notebook requirements

I run Saw on my P4 desktop, but I also have an Acer laptop that I have considered using for remote tracking, travelling, etc. Even though it's only about 4 months old, and has 512 megs of RAM, it's unfortunately got a Celeron processor (and no Firewire). Does anyone think it's even worth my while to try with a USB 2.0 front end? I was going to put another 1gb of RAM in either way, but I have my doubts whether a Celeron M processor will cut it ...

Songwriterdemos, I reckon it will work. How many tracks are you planning on doing? There is an Edirol USB2 interface - I don't know how reliable their drivers are, but it's plenty of channels. Your limiting factor will be the internal hard disk. Low spec machines usually have 4200 rpm disks, which are useless. If it has a PCMCIA slot, then the RME Cardbus stuff will be reliable for a good number of recording channels. The Celeron will limit you when it comes to plug-ins, verbs etc.

Dominic

10. Default Re: Minimum laptop/notebook requirements

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry
    Songwriterdemos, I reckon it will work. How many tracks are you planning on doing? There is an Edirol USB2 interface - I don't know how reliable their drivers are, but it's plenty of channels. Your limiting factor will be the internal hard disk. Low spec machines usually have 4200 rpm disks, which are useless. If it has a PCMCIA slot, then the RME Cardbus stuff will be reliable for a good number of recording channels. The Celeron will limit you when it comes to plug-ins, verbs etc.

Dominic
    I would just need it for a track or two at a time for my own recording, but I agree that mixing would be the problem with the celeron. I have a Lacie 250 gig external drive (USB), which would probably help though.