Close

Question Automation levels

Hi,
    A quick quesion, forgive me if it's already posted somewhere. But I haven't seen this in the manual and I'm trying to do this.

I have automations already set on different tracks and I want to change the overall level of a track either up or down and I want the automation to raise or lower the same amount w/o having to redo the automation.

For example, a lead vox track is 1.5dB's too loud, so I want to lower the overall track by 1.5dB, but I have fades, effects, etc... all in automation, and I'd like the automation (especially the volume) to change at the same level.

Is that possible?

Thanx, looking 4-ward to 4.0

DamonD

Default Re: Automation levels

Take a look at the offset option (last button on the right of the mutli-track display - right next to the automation on/off button).

The offset option allows you to select a range of automation, and adjust the existing values up and down from the current state.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx
    Take a look at the offset option (last button on the right of the mutli-track display - right next to the automation on/off button).

The offset option allows you to select a range of automation, and adjust the existing values up and down from the current state.
    AND... if you do not mark an area on the multitrack while in automation mode ("select a range of automation", as cgrafx puts it), being in Offset mode will offset all the levels (including the default, starting level) of a track. I think this is what you're looking for.

Note that as long as you have the aux sends set to post fader, changing the overall volume of a track in this way will automagically adjust the sends accordingly, so there's no need to offset the send levels, too, in such a case (I almost always send post fader)

BTW, you can offset several tracks simultaneously by selecting the tracks-of-interest before making the adjustment.

One other piece of advice: go into Offset mode, make your change(s), then GET OUT off Offset mode. Leaving it in Offset mode can really screw up a session as you go on to tweak individual settings. Also -- if you've made some changes while in Offset mode that you don't want to keep (but can't be sure of the original settings you want to return to), right-click on the Offset button to exit Offset mode without saving any of your changes. Pretty handy sometimes.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 09-27-2006 at 09:47 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

When using offset mode I often find myself wondering if writing new offset info within the boundaries of the original offset, or even at the same starting point, but ending somewhere within will work properly...

I can't always tell if it's been written the way I want it to, especially with really small adjustments, or where I may not be paying close attention to the original settings. How can I be certain that the offset has been applied correctly?

If I mark an area and make an offset (say of a channel fader) where many fader automation adjustments have been made, but the marked area doesn't start or end ON a fader mark, will the adjustment still be made properly?

Does an offset adjustment need to be made ON a region or set of regions, or can the marked area fall into the space between regions and still work?

Are there any settings that an offset adjustment will not work for?

I sometimes feel as though I'm working blindly with the offset. I've not really noticed before, but do the automation entries pertaining to a particular offset adjustment display the difference in terms of (say) the height of the automation entry?

I normally make my offset adjustments using the Shift/click to have the controls zeroed out, but would it be better to make the adjustment without?

I'm just confused tonight, I guess.

DanT

Dan,

You are way overthinking it... Offset is a very simple and powerful way to adjust pre-written automation... do't think about it... simply use it...

Offset does not write new entries... only offsets existing ones... therefore, you do not have to worry about marked areas being exactly on entries... only including them... and in most cases... there is nothing to mark... you like your track's automation... only you decide you want to raise the whole track 1.5 db... so... no marks... Offset Mode... grab the fader... raise it 1.5 db... then turn OFF Offset mode... done... every entry has now been adjusted up 1.5 db... simple and clean.

Offset works for every control type.

Bob L

6. Default Re: Automation levels

By the way, have any of you tried offsetting automation in Nuendo? That, my friends, is called PAIN.

SAW's super-easy offset mode is a killer feature.

You know what happens after you have a feature easily accessible like this?

You start doing related things more often.

Like going crazy with automation.

You stop being afraid of automation.

Wanna change the track's volume? offset it.

Offset like crazy.

Go ahead.

The mix is waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L
    Dan,

You are way overthinking it... Offset is a very simple and powerful way to adjust pre-written automation... do't think about it... simply use it...

Offset does not write new entries... only offsets existing ones... therefore, you do not have to worry about marked areas being exactly on entries... only including them... and in most cases... there is nothing to mark... you like your track's automation... only you decide you want to raise the whole track 1.5 db... so... no marks... Offset Mode... grab the fader... raise it 1.5 db... then turn OFF Offset mode... done... every entry has now been adjusted up 1.5 db... simple and clean.

Offset works for every control type.

Bob L
    Well, thanks for the assurance Bob. One less thing I can stop getting stressed over.

I find myself wondering because I, more often than not, find the need to change chunks of automation within a mix where I need to use marked areas. Sometimes, I later need to offset areas that may or may not be identical to the previous offset. That has left me wondering if all the changes are happening the way I intend and therefore, my questions.

You're right that I'm overthinking the thing, but that's me.

DanT

Quote Originally Posted by alchemist
    By the way, have any of you tried offsetting automation in Nuendo? That, my friends, is called PAIN.

SAW's super-easy offset mode is a killer feature.
    Nuendo's "offset" works almost identical to SS, and extremely easy to use. Turn it on, move a fader, turn it off. The default is the entire track, or you can select an area. If anything, the interface is a bit more like moving fader automation on a pro hardware console for those who are familiar.

It's called "trim." I don't use Nuendo much anymore, but it has some very nice mixing features, including region based fades, volume and processing independent of the automation and inserts.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Stebbeds; 09-28-2006 at 09:13 AM.