Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will Saw recognize multiple devices types ?

I am currently using the VS2480 as my A/D but have problems with headphone routing ( not enought in's !! ) I would like to try the ADA8000 as a headphone out setup and add extra ch's ( I want to test the ADA8000 before changing setups and getting ride of the 2480 )
    Will saw see the ADA8000 plus the 2480 ( the 2480 is asio ) ???

If so I will get one to test and check the setup .

LAter
    Buzz

Default Re: Will Saw recognize multiple devices types ?

The ADA8000 isn't a sound card - only converters. You'll have to get a soundcard to plug it into so SAW will recognize it. If the Roland has an ADAT in, you could probably use that (I'm not familiar with the Roland). Also, you'll have to clock them together if you use a second sound card or you'll get drift issues.
    -Craig

Quote Originally Posted by mikebuzz
    Will saw see the ADA8000 plus the 2480 ( the 2480 is asio ) ???
    If you use the MME driver model, then you can setup both devices at the same time... with ASIO, only one manufacturer's driver can be used at any one time.

Bob L
    This is from a previous thread of yours, Mike, that I ran across in trying to figure out what you are currently using. It probably will have some bearing on your question.

Abandoning the control surface idea is a tough move when you're so used to it, I realize. But, if you're simply checking out other solutions for pres and headphone outs, why not just use one or the other during testing?

If the RPC-1 won't work with mme drivers, what choices do you have?
    I currently choose between three soundcards (two RME and a SB), which work alone or together, but I am using MME drivers.

I'd say get the Behringer to do some testing and decide how you can use it without regarding the 2480 in the mix since you are thinking of giving it up anyway. When you dump the 2480 (as an a/d/a for the pc), you'll have to replace the rpc-1 card anyway (as you already know).

DanT

I'm not using the Vs as a control surface just for in/out adjustments ( well I guess thats a control surface too ?? ) when using the ADA8000 how do you make the in/out adjustments for recording ??? do you use it in live mode or ?? or just activate that input during record and levels are set via the pre's ?

LAter
    Buzz

PS: won't ASIO for all allow mulitiple devices ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikebuzz
    I'm not using the Vs as a control surface just for in/out adjustments ( well I guess thats a control surface too ?? ) when using the ADA8000 how do you make the in/out adjustments for recording ??? do you use it in live mode or ?? or just activate that input during record and levels are set via the pre's ?

LAter
    Buzz

PS: won't ASIO for all allow mulitiple devices ?
    Sorry, I misread how you've been using the VS.
    In adjustments with the ADA would be via your pres level adjustment knobs.
    Out adjustments would be via software... TotalMix, if using RME stuff...
    Live mod is something I'm still trying to get used to, so I'm not the one to ask about it, but you could adjust out levels via it. In levels should be adjusted before they get to the soundcard.

I also only know what I've read about ASIO... the quote of Bob's is about what I know.... so somebody else will have to help you with that one.
    Sorry I'm not a lot of help today,
    DanT

Buzz,

the ADA8000 units will just show up as different devices on your RME or whatever soundcard you use... in SS, you simply select the out device on the channel module for each track... or on the Aux Send Master for aux headphone mixes... the ins are selectable on the record meter Input zones or at the top of the channel modules for use in Live mode routing.

If you have 16 ins and outs, you can select and record from up to 16 ins at a time... most will use only 1 stereo out device for mixing and monitoring all 72 tracks... and then maybe another pair or two of outputs if you want to do the aux send headphone thing.

Bob L

So the ADA8000 is ASIO ? ( my Rpc-1 cards from Roland are ASIO ! )and they will show up as more devices ? If so I can get an ada8000 and begin tests and comparisons with my current setup.
    I just want t omake sure I can do side by side comparisons before changing over to the Ada8000;s and that the setup is easier than what I have been doing.

Thanks
    Buzz

The ADA has no drivers!!!!!!!!

It's an external, stand-alone device which only does AD/DA conversion of 8 audio channels. It also has some preamps.
    The only way to connect it to a computer, like any stand alone converter, is thru a pcior pcmcia card sporting adat in's & out's. What driver model does the cards use? see the card manufacturer's manual/web site and see.

You can also use other deices with adat in's/out's that connect to a computer thru usb or firewire

Ok so WHAT card do you guys USE ??? for Pc interface , best suggestions that are tried and TRUE please !
    LAter
    Buzz

PS: If I could add 4 ch's out for headphone mix's I would be happy BUT they need to be seen at the same time as the RPC-1 cards ( so I guess ASIO need to be the drivers ?? ) I could run FW , PC card etc.

Any Ideas ??
    Last edited by mikebuzz; 10-02-2006 at 02:31 PM.

I use an RME HDSP 9632 - it has stereo analogue I/O, SPDIF I/O and one ADAT I/O (allowing for ADA8000) - so is capable of total 12 channel I/O.

It works flawlessly.

If you need more I/O I'd suggest Digiface (allows 3 ADA8000 = 24 ch) or Multiface (allows 1 ADA8000 + built-in 8 ch analogue = 16 ch)

I know others use other brands to good effect but, for me, RME is much like SAWStudio - it works, and works well.

Good luck

mako

P.S. I must also mention that the HDSP 9632 has a headphone output which is invaluable to me.
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia