Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Will Saw recognize multiple devices types ?

Buzz,

the ADA8000 units will just show up as different devices on your RME or whatever soundcard you use... in SS, you simply select the out device on the channel module for each track... or on the Aux Send Master for aux headphone mixes... the ins are selectable on the record meter Input zones or at the top of the channel modules for use in Live mode routing.

If you have 16 ins and outs, you can select and record from up to 16 ins at a time... most will use only 1 stereo out device for mixing and monitoring all 72 tracks... and then maybe another pair or two of outputs if you want to do the aux send headphone thing.

Bob L

So the ADA8000 is ASIO ? ( my Rpc-1 cards from Roland are ASIO ! )and they will show up as more devices ? If so I can get an ada8000 and begin tests and comparisons with my current setup.
    I just want t omake sure I can do side by side comparisons before changing over to the Ada8000;s and that the setup is easier than what I have been doing.

Thanks
    Buzz

The ADA has no drivers!!!!!!!!

It's an external, stand-alone device which only does AD/DA conversion of 8 audio channels. It also has some preamps.
    The only way to connect it to a computer, like any stand alone converter, is thru a pcior pcmcia card sporting adat in's & out's. What driver model does the cards use? see the card manufacturer's manual/web site and see.

You can also use other deices with adat in's/out's that connect to a computer thru usb or firewire

Ok so WHAT card do you guys USE ??? for Pc interface , best suggestions that are tried and TRUE please !
    LAter
    Buzz

PS: If I could add 4 ch's out for headphone mix's I would be happy BUT they need to be seen at the same time as the RPC-1 cards ( so I guess ASIO need to be the drivers ?? ) I could run FW , PC card etc.

Any Ideas ??
    Last edited by mikebuzz; 10-02-2006 at 02:31 PM.

I use an RME HDSP 9632 - it has stereo analogue I/O, SPDIF I/O and one ADAT I/O (allowing for ADA8000) - so is capable of total 12 channel I/O.

It works flawlessly.

If you need more I/O I'd suggest Digiface (allows 3 ADA8000 = 24 ch) or Multiface (allows 1 ADA8000 + built-in 8 ch analogue = 16 ch)

I know others use other brands to good effect but, for me, RME is much like SAWStudio - it works, and works well.

Good luck

mako

P.S. I must also mention that the HDSP 9632 has a headphone output which is invaluable to me.
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

Thanks Dennis I have looked at the RME stuff but the Total mix has me worried about using it ( lots of guys running into problems it seems ) I did just find this little unit

http://www.focusrite.com/product/saffire_le/ It has 6 independant outs that could be used as headphone mix's and is firewire ( which I have already ) and add's 2 pre's to the equation for about $300 .

I kind of want to keep my VS2480 because it is a great live mixer/recorder for an all in 1 box in a resonable size with 16 in's . I dont use it as a control surface really so I'm not hooked on that.

Anybody tried the Saffire ??

LAter
    Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by mikebuzz
    Thanks Dennis I have looked at the RME stuff but the Total mix has me worried about using it ( lots of guys running into problems it seems ) I did just find this little unit

http://www.focusrite.com/product/saffire_le/ It has 6 independant outs that could be used as headphone mix's and is firewire ( which I have already ) and add's 2 pre's to the equation for about $300 .

I kind of want to keep my VS2480 because it is a great live mixer/recorder for an all in 1 box in a resonable size with 16 in's . I dont use it as a control surface really so I'm not hooked on that.

Anybody tried the Saffire ??

LAter
    Buzz
    I don't think I'd describe the things people are saying about TotalMix as "problems".... as in, "I can't get this thing to work." The "problem" I have with TotalMix is that it is confusing "to me" because there is so much control of every input and output that they have had to put everything in layers. If I took the time to comprehend TotalMix as I do with Saw, I think I might be at ease with the darn thing. It's quite a powerful mixer actually and has few reoprts of actual "problems"... just to set the record straight.

I looked throught the lit. on the Saffire. I've only used the M-Audio Quatro before when it comes to usb or fw, so I'm no expert as to how reliable it may be... I assume it must be okay.
    I think there are a couple of things I'd be concerned about in your case:
    1- I don't quite think you have the flexibility with the outputs you may think you have... they constantly refer to outs 1/2 and 3/4 and only mention 5/6 7/8 in reference to sequencer track playback..... I don't get that part.

2- There is no hardware metering of any kind. Only software. Even though the Digimax (Presonus) only has three lights, at least I can see when there's signal present, see when it's overloading the input and see when the limiters are being driven... I am uncomfortable with a software only meter for my inputs.

3- You have mentioned before the need for high samplerate recording. Note that the Saffire makes sacrifices on your available inputs and outputs when recording at 88 and 96k......

Just some thoughts,
    DanT

The Digiface and Multiface also have a headphone out, which doubles as a line out.

I have a preference for the RME soundcard, but at the moment I'm concerned if they are dropping support of mme drivers. If ASIO can only read one manufacturer's device at a time, then how does one use more than one brand of soundcard at the same time?

I think thats where ASIO 4 ALL comes in , not really sure BOB ?????
    I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I make a move

LAter
    Buzz

BOB will ASIO in SAW see different devices I.E. 2 Rpc-1 cards + Firewire ASIO setup ?? or will Asio 4 All work to allow it to see them !?