Close

Default OK some last MWS q's

Now that I have solved all my tech problems I have a few more questions/requests for MWS..

1- Still not clear if it's possible to draw patterns with Controller data (sine, square..etc)

2- Midi Event List?

3- A simple way to magnify the track so I can work on the Piano roll but then switch back.. I guess it's possible somehow with f-keys but not sure how since there is no real separate Piano roll window.

4- Since there are 16 virtual midi ports available, does it mean I can only pach 16 VSTis max?

Thanks!
    -
    Eitan Teomi, Composer | Sound Designer
    handheldsound.com
    --

Default Re: OK some last MWS q's

Eitan,

The MWS uses the Ctrl-FKeys... create 12 workspaces... then you can also link them to the SS Alt-Fkeys... this way, you can hit one FKey and rearrange both SS and MWS to fit around each other on the screen... its extremely powerful... read about how to set that up in the front section of the MWS helpfile.

So... magnifying tracks from a list of 10 or more tracks to 1 or 2 large tracks is an FKey away... and isn't it nice to see multiple piano-roll windows instead of only one?

Not sure about what you mean by drawing square wave and sine wave shapes... that has nothing to do with controllers.

And yes... you can only patch 16 vsti synths at once... but most of these each can use 16 midi channels... and many can use multiple out channels spread across multiple SS tracks... besides... with that many synths patched at once... the engine will probably be pulled into the mud anyway...

You will want to streamline your live use of vsti synths at one time for performance reasons... mix some of the midi down to audio and get the synth out of the loop as you go... disable the midi track but keep it there for possible modifications later.

Bob L

3. Default Re: OK some last MWS q's

Eitan,

I'm not sure what drawing sine waves and squares will do for you with controller data. Generally, fade slopes are what physical controller devices create. You can create them manually by clicking on 'Display' to activate it, then right-clicking on it to see options. The default density is 120, but I would reduce that to get a more accurate slope. Probably around 15-25. You can select any of the 127 controllers by clicking the 'Filter' button, then right-clicking it to open a list of choices. Click one and it becomes the 'Current Controller Type', which is a choice in the 'Display' pop up.

At present there is no MIDI event list, but I believe I read somewhere that it may be coming in the future.

Use the 'Page Up' 'Page Down' buttons to Zoom in, or the +ZM -ZM buttons on the bottom left. I recommend setting different zoom levels to different F-keys, and attaching them to the SAW F-keys. Check the manual for how to do this.

You can plug in 16 VST 'synth' plug-ins, but remember that many VSTs can utilize 16 MIDI channels each. I think that's more MIDI than you'll ever need. Even if all 16 plugs use only 1 channel, (unlikely), that will still probably be more than you'll ever need, not to mention the load it will take on your machine. If you need more than that at one time, I would, first, render some tracks to audio to free up a port, and second, consider changing you work method.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by Westwind; 10-03-2006 at 09:03 AM.

Hi guys and thanks for the replies.

The ability to draw 'shapes' with controller data is extremely useful. What I meant is that if I route, say, controller 21 to modify a VSTi synth's filter cutoff, using an LFO like sinewave shape drawn with the controller data you get an auto sweep effect. You can create very musical 'shapes' that are very useful in electronic music - modifying resonance, filter, oscilator etc...

This would be very useful add on
    -
    Eitan Teomi, Composer | Sound Designer
    handheldsound.com
    --

5. Default Re: OK some last MWS q's

DAMN!! What kind of forum is this? Just when I thought I was being helpful, the designer comes in and says virtually the same thing I did! That's it, I'm going to another forum where everybody snipes and speculates, and hearing from a designer is a forlorn dream. By the way, Bob, are you wearing a blue shirt today?

Westwind,

Great minds think alike.

Bob L

Hello Eitan - in the early days of midi sequencers the "midi event list" was the only way to edit midi data, then, as the programs evolved, the graphic editing became more desired.

However, I still relied heavily on the midi event list to trouble shoot problems, particularly double notes that were hard to pick up on the graphic side.

A recent post by Bob related that with MWS it is impossible for a double note to exist so, for me, it probably makes the midi event list redundant.

Perhaps one area where it would be helpful though, is identifying the various controllers that are already on the tracks of commercial midi files.

OTOH - it's only a matter of a cursor sweep over the controller data in MWS to get this info anyway.

Good luck

mako
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia