Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default using a preamp with the fireface 800

hi,
    hope this is a simple question with an easy answer. i've been away from my equip for months. now have to get used to it again. i just got an external preamp for my voice and i want to plug it into the fireface 800. i was using my mic and plugging it right into input 7 on the fireface. so now i put the line from the mic into the input on the back of the preamp. do i take the output line from the preamp and put it right into the input 7 on the fireface (or do i have to use a line level input?) it is a three prong male/female cord.
    thanks,
    paul

Default Re: using a preamp with the fireface 800

If you are using an external preamp, you want to connect it to a line level input.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

thanks.
    the line level inputs on the back only have those 1/4inch jacks. i just plugged the three prong jack from the external preamp into the front mic input, turned down the fireface preamp and turned up the external preamp and it worked. maybe it acts like line level input when the preamp is turned down? i can call the place where i bought the fireface tommorow if they are open.

This from the Fireface description:
    The Fireface 800 features 8 balanced line I/Os with software controlled reference level switching (-10 dBV, +4 dBu, HiGain), to guarantee highest dynamic range and fidelity. Simultaneous use of XLR and TRS allow 35 simultaneous inputs to 28 tracks at once

Looks to me like you can use the Fireface inputs as you have set them up and then use the TotalMix software to select the line level setting for the inputs you are using.

DanT

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    maybe it acts like line level input when the preamp is turned down? i can call the place where i bought the fireface tommorow if they are open.
    No, you just turned down the mic input level of the FF very low so that it accepted the line level ouptut of your outboard preamp.

In many cases this will seem to work OK, but you could experience an improvement in sound quality using the proper adapter. There is likely to be an impedance mismatch that could cause "loading" of the devices, and less than optimal performance.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    T
    Looks to me like you can use the Fireface inputs as you have set them up and then use the TotalMix software to select the line level setting for the inputs you are using.

DanT
    Sound will come out, but it will not be properly matched, even if you adjust the levels.

Mark

yes, it does sound like the sound peaks too easily. i'll get an adaptor tomorrow and check it out. thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    yes, it does sound like the sound peaks too easily. i'll get an adaptor tomorrow and check it out. thanks again!
    Paul, as DanT pointed out, you have the 'adapter' already built into the Fireface. Just find the software control for the +4dB,-10dB,Higain setting and put it to +4dB on channel 7. That should do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stebbeds View Post
    Sound will come out, but it will not be properly matched, even if you adjust the levels.

Mark
    Then what you're saying is that this software adjustment the Fireface manual speaks of is simply adjusting the reference level of the meters? In that case, I'd agree.
    It looked to me as though they were saying that the software was doing the switching, not a simple meter adjustment, allowing the use of either the xlr or trs connections provided.
    I've been known to be wrong before... maybe the adapter is the safest way to go regardless.
    DanT

The back of the Fireface has the line inputs, use that when connecting another amplified device to the Fireface. Make the proper selection at the Fireface applet. Do not stack amplifiers, you'll degrade performance and amplify noise. The line inputs on the rear of the Fireface are three conductor jacks. Your preamp may have a TRS 1/4" output as well as the XLR output.

Bill