Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Any interest in a PocketPC controller for SAW?

It does look nice! But like I said, I've got a Palm. And like Tim, the Tranzport is working out great for me.

I'd go ahead with it though. There is bound to be someone who would be interested. It may even sway someone into going with SAWStudio because they can control it with a PocketPC. One never knows.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

2. Default Re: Any interest in a PocketPC controller for SAW?

Quote Originally Posted by David Vanderploeg View Post
    Tux, that looks very cool. I guess the real question is: do YOU have a need for such a thing? If you make it to satisfy yourself and then make it available to others you never know what might happen.
    If "need" implies a strong desire (borderline lust)... then yes! Absolutely!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Vanderploeg View Post
    Are you convinced you can tap into SAW? Will this be an extension of the master/slave features or the midi controller features? I assume it would use wireless networking somehow...?
    This would use wireless networking (wi-fi) to communicate with SAW as a TCP slave.

Ideally this should be nearly as powerful as running a slave on a tablet pc... just without the bulk and weight of a laptop.

I don't see how anyone could possibly say they wouldn't want this type of control of SAW.

But that's why I had to come and discuss this here... to determine if a reality check was in order.

3. Default Re: Any interest in a PocketPC controller for SAW?

The initial prototype will be a stand-alone desktop application with all of the same functionality as the Pocket PC version. This means that you could actually use it without any requirement of a Pocket PC. I'm thinking that would be a great way to have a fully functional "demo" version.

Does it mean that it will work on a tablet pc, I mean these small handheld
    pc´s with a 800x600 screen resolution ?

If so then i would be interrested, maybe you could talk with Bob about a
    SAC version also, I would love to go around in the auditorium tuning speakers, wireless, and have full control

Sebastian

Sebastian... you can do that now with a small laptop... the small Sony ones work very wel and are not that big to carry around... the difference is that you can get at least 1024 x 768 screen res... which I think is really important when trying to mix in SS.

Bob L

6. Default Re: Any interest in a PocketPC controller for SAW?

Bob,
    The idea of the Pocket PC/mobile controller is much like the AlphaTrak, FaderPort, or Tranzport. Essentially you have control over each channel individually with the ability to change channels at will. Plugins are about the only thing I am not planning to implement support for in the controller (at least not yet). Everything else should be achievable based on the information from our previous correspondance regarding the Palm controller.

I like the idea of using a stylus to move the controls (faders/eqs) because it is still a "hands-on" approach. There are obvious things this wouldn't be the best use for (moving regions for example). I do believe this would be very productive for everything relating to individual channels (mutes, solos, dynamics, eqs), all manipulated from any location with a device you can carry in your shirt or pant (American definition intended here ) pocket.

This can be a very mobile solution for tweaking indivual channel properties, much like the Tranzport but with a graphical interface and a different, more visual, means of navigating settings.

Jason Price

Jason... sounds great... it will be interesting to see the results if you go ahead with it.

Bob L