Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Multiple Levelizers on one track

It seems that if I have more than one Levelizer on an Input track I can't set them up differently, unless I'm missing something.

What I'm trying to do is set up a recording of three (or more) speakers such that any speaker's mic ducks the other two, so if Channel 1 speaker is not talking, his mic is ducked by either of the speakers on channels 2 or 3. This needs two instances of a Levelizer on each channel (at least it does as I'm going about it), but, as I said, setting the two up differently seems not to be possible. With just three mics, I could use the Dynamics strip or the A and B buffers in the Levelizer, but it would be nice to be able to extend the approach to more mics.

Default Re: Multiple Levelizers on one track

Ha ha - just solved that issue. Double clicking on each Levelizer is needed. Embarrassingly simple...

Having got it working, though, it's a very effective and time-saving way to mute open mics.

Quote Originally Posted by andy cross View Post
    Ha ha - just solved that issue. Double clicking on each Levelizer is needed. Embarrassingly simple...

Having got it working, though, it's a very effective and time-saving way to mute open mics.
    Yeah, that can get confusing. It'd be handy to be able to keep both instantiations open, but, alas...

FYI -- you can also switch between them using the upper-right black box in the Levelizer interface.

Cool idea on mic management. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 06-01-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I think they just stack when you open more than one. Move the window. Another instance should be underneath.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I think they just stack when you open more than one. Move the window. Another instance should be underneath.
    That would be nice. Not how it works, unfortunately. One Levelizer interface at a time is what I get. That's regardless of channel or channel type or number of Levelizers per channel. It can also be hard to know which one you're looking at when you have more than one on a given channel: the upper-right label doesn't change between different instantiations on the same channel. The only way to tell you've switched instantiations is if you see the settings change as you switch between them. That said, a double-click on the one you want in a patch box or selecting the one you want in the interface's drop-down list should work, even if you can't tell which is which, visually, otherwise.
    Becket, Massachusetts

I would try duplicating the plugin a couple of times and giving the instances different names and see if you can differentiate then.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    I would try duplicating the plugin a couple of times and giving the instances different names and see if you can differentiate then.
    Do you mean change the names of different copies of the same DLL, Michael? Interesting...
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,
    Do you mean change the names of different copies of the same DLL, Michael? Interesting...
    ...Dave, I have done this using various plug-ins...one being Kontakt. I got the idea from Kontakt providing different named versions of their plug-ins. Same plug-in - different names.

So, you could rename Studio_FX_Levelizer.dll to Studio_FX_Levelizer_1.dll, Studio_FX_Levelizer_2.dll and so on. If you use shades, you could ensure the order of each Levelizer. You could even rename each dll, Green, Red, Blue, and so on. For example:

Attachment 2764

Blog Entries

Hello,

As an important update, apparently, renaming the dll's will not work with the Levelizer plug-in.

Here is what I have been told,

"Renaming the dll file to different names will not work. There is internal naming in the dll code that has to be changed to different names to allow multiple instances. Therefore, the dll code to allow for multiples instances would have to be altered."

This being said, I have been able to use multiple instances of the Native EQ plug-in - in particular, by renaming the plug-in, for example, Studio_FX_Eq_1 and Studio_FX_Eq_2.

• At the time of writing, I have just tested this process again using the EQ's - and all "seems" to be working.
    • I have also just tested this process using three instances of the Levelizer plug-in and I am getting the same results.

So, I am not too sure if this is really working or not - but it "appears" to be so.

I guess what is needed at this point is to wait for Bob to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

As an important update, apparently, renaming the dll's will not work with the Levelizer plug-in.

Here is what I have been told,

"Renaming the dll file to different names will not work. There is internal naming in the dll code that has to be changed to different names to allow multiple instances. Therefore, the dll code to allow for multiples instances would have to be altered."

This being said, I have been able to use multiple instances of the Native EQ plug-in - in particular, by renaming the plug-in, for example, Studio_FX_Eq_1 and Studio_FX_Eq_2.

• At the time of writing, I have just tested this process again using the EQ's - and all "seems" to be working.
    • I have also just tested this process using three instances of the Levelizer plug-in and I am getting the same results.

So, I am not too sure if this is really working or not - but it "appears" to be so.

I guess what is needed at this point is to wait for Bob to comment.
    The plot thickens...
    Becket, Massachusetts