Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: MWS feature extension?

Hello,
    If I understand things correctly, Type 1 MIDI files contain separate data information for each track. Type 0 MIDI files have all of the tracks data merged into a single track. Some Type 0 MIDI files are supposed to maintain separate MIDI channel information - but this not always the case.

Also, if the source sequence has several tracks assigned to the same MIDI channel - for example, drum tracks s Cary mentioned, then it is preferable to save the data as a Type 1 MIDI file. If the data is exported as a Type 0 MIDI file, then all tracks assigned to the same channel will be merged into a single track when the MIDI file is loaded.

This anomaly can sometimes be corrected in a notation program - and have used Sibelius to perform this operation many times. I believe that other sequencers will do this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by diegoalejo15 View Post
    Hi all
    Can you help me? How do I import a multi-track midi file into MWS? I mean to get separate midi tracks.

Many thanks
    Your question isn't quite specific enough, so I will assume some conditions:

You have a midi file in the proprietary format of a different sequencer program.
    The file either has A) more than sixteen different instrument parts, and/or B) more than one part with the same midi channel (as in going to a different device).

In this situation, you definitely have a problem. The nearest "translation" you are going to get is by exporting your sequence as a Type 1 midi file. Such a file only knows about midi channels, and when imported into MWS, each channel will be loaded to its own track, for a maximum of 16 tracks. The only way that I am completely sure you can successfully do this process is to first create a file in the original program that has no more than 16 tracks, with each track having its own midi channel. The only exception to this rule might be for drum tracks, where there is a track for each of kick, snare, hat, etc. and all of these tracks are on the same midi channel. I'm pretty sure that such drum tracks, when exported as a Type 1 midi file, will all be consolidated as a single track.

If you cannot hold to the 16 track/channel limit, you might need to start by creating two or more project files in the original sequencer application, dividing the various tracks between the two files (with different name, of course). What I do not know (because I have never tried it) is whether there is any way to then import more than one midi file into the same MWS session. My guess, however, would be no. I'm not sure how to get around the limits I mentioned here.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Just goto page 50 of the MWS help manual. You can import and blend midi files.