Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Create files from regions WITH processing

I'm working on a project with a single sound file cut into many different regions, each region edited with different volume, plug settings, etc. I need each region to end up as a separate sound file with the processing in effect. I realize I could highlight each region individually and Build/Mix each to a new file. But is there a way to do them all in one go? Sort of like Export Regions to Sound Files, but with the mixer processing in effect.

Thanks for any help.

Roger

Blog Entries

Default Re: Create files from regions WITH processing

Quote Originally Posted by radiorog View Post
    I'm working on a project with a single sound file cut into many different regions, each region edited with different volume, plug settings, etc. I need each region to end up as a separate sound file with the processing in effect. I realize I could highlight each region individually and Build/Mix each to a new file. But is there a way to do them all in one go? Sort of like Export Regions to Sound Files, but with the mixer processing in effect.

Thanks for any help.

Roger
    Yes.

Just click on the number of each track in the MT, it will turn black. those tracks will render.

You don't mention if your regions are all on one track, or many, but Micro brings up a good point in that it might be important to know to be able to help.
    I think, however, that you could simply mark from the beginning of the first region to the end of the last region and then build mix to create one large soundfile that contains all the processed regions. This could then be split into individual files if needed.

Also, this from the new release notes for 4.0:

Two new options have been added to the Process/Mixdown menu called Export Track(s) To SoundFile(s) – [No Mixer Processing] and Export Track(s) To SoundFile(s) – [With Mixer Processing]. These options make it simple to export solid track wav files from SAWStudio to be easily used in any other DAW system. The first option bypasses all mixer channel processing and automation and outputs the source file region data, neatly assembled into a solid wav file. All edits and SoftEdges are processed for smooth transitions. The second option processes the data through the mixer channel controls, patched plugins and automation. Both options will translate the source files to the current MT SampleRate and Resolution settings.

If there are selected tracks, these options process all selected tracks only, otherwise all tracks are processed.

You are given a choice to process all layers or only the top layer. You are also asked to select a location for the exported files as well as a base filename. The base name (usually the edl name) will be appended with the track label and layer number if layers are chosen. I recommend creating a folder called Export in the project folder to separate all exported files for easy transfer to another system. A separate folder also helps to eliminate problems due to filenames matching existing source files in the current project folder. Duplicate filenames in the same folder will be overwritten.

I haven't had the time to check it out yet (but it's BIG on my list).
    This may accomplish the task quite easily for you, if I understand your question.

DanT

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear.

I have one sound file on one track. That's all - no other files on other tracks. One file on one track. That file (track) is cut into a number of different regions, with different processing applied to each region. I want to end up with each region mixing down into a separate file. So, if I have the single sound file cut into six regions, I want to eventually end up with six different sound files, each from one of the regions.

I could select/highlight each region and do a Build Mix six times to six different sound files. But I was looking for a way to do them all at once - the same idea as exporting regions to sound files, but with all mixer processing having the intended effect on the resulting separate files. (Exporting regions to sound files bypasses the processing.)

Hope that's clearer. Any ideas?

TIA.

ROger

Thanks for any help.

Roger
    BFG (Batch File Generator) from www.jms-audioware.com was designed to do this kind of thing in one pass. Check it out.

But if it's only a few regions, marking the timeline and/or selecting tracks and doing a buildmix for each is pretty straightforward, I'd think.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

BFG, my man.

Alternatively, you could copy the default track settings, including plug-ins, to several tracks below, and then move each region (with written automation) to a different track and use the new (with processing) build mix feature, though this would bypass any output or return processing, using only the processing set up on each track.

BFG is the cleanest route, especially for complex routings/assigments and large numbers of regions.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 12-26-2006 at 06:27 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

I have one sound file on one track. That's all - no other files on other tracks. One file on one track. That file (track) is cut into a number of different regions, with different processing applied to each region. I want to end up with each region mixing down into a separate file. So, if I have the single sound file cut into six regions, I want to eventually end up with six different sound files, each from one of the regions.

I could select/highlight each region and do a Build Mix six times to six different sound files. But I was looking for a way to do them all at once - the same idea as exporting regions to sound files, but with all mixer processing having the intended effect on the resulting separate files. (Exporting regions to sound files bypasses the processing.)

Hope that's clearer. Any ideas?

TIA.

ROger

So you must be using automation to change effects for each region?

In the future you should move each region and you cut them to another track keeping it in the timeline.. then add your effects. Now you can render them all at once easy. The way you did it you have to do one at a time I am pretty sure.

>snip<

ROger
    Roger - to keep it all in SS - make a cut at each section you want (k).

Control-drag each region to a new track e.g. region 1 to track 2, region 2 to track 3, etc.

Name each new track.

Do your processing setup for each individual track. Disable track 1.

Then, Export tracks to soundfiles with mixer processing.

mako
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

If you highlight the region from start to end you can move it to a new track along with all of the automation ( just tried it moved a region from trk 1 to 3 @ 0 time with automation ) however the FX will not move with it !!! if you have plugin FX they will need to be reset.

In the future setup each region on it's own track then you can process them all at 1 time WITH FX and Mixer settings/auto.

Later
    Buzz

I need each region to end up as a separate sound file with the processing in effect. ... Sort of like Export Regions to Sound Files, but with the mixer processing in effect.
    Roger,

you can do it with a little trick.

First mix the entire track with processing to a new soundfile. Preferrably you call it the same as the original SF with "_processed" added.

Then you save the EDL under a different name, e.g. with "_export" added.

Now you should be in the "_export" EDL in SAWStudio already.

Open "View/File" window and you will see your original soundfile listed. Click on it once and from the triangle menu at the top right of the window select "Rename selected entries only" and in the upcoming box enter the name of the soundfile with the processed data. If you followed my recommendation you simply would add "_processed" to it.

Click OK, close the File window and click OK in the upcoming message box.

Now you have replaced your original soundfile with the processed soundfile and all regions are pointing to that one. A simple "Export Regions To Soundfiles" gives you what you are looking for.

There is one thing to be carefull about. You have to make sure that the first region from your original soundfile starts at the very beginning of the file otherwise region boundaries are offset and you will get a big mess :-)

Also consider that when you playback the file from the MT you will get double processing but this should be no problem since you are just exporting the regions.

Hope that helps,

Veit